The stealthiest assassin in the land

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Broken Finger, Apr 19, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Broken Finger

Broken Finger Member

I think the narrator is hitting the bottle again... :no:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Hehe

The assassin must be one of those lost items that hide right in front of your eyes. Until you trip over the bugger, you never see it.

BTW, are those some skeletons in the capture or just funny looking characters?

3. Broken Finger

Broken Finger Member

They're definitely not 'captured', quite the opposite. They're thrilled about this opportunity, since it's a great thing to put on their resumés. Especially after their dead end job at Emridy Meadows.

No self-respecting cleric would be caught dead without an undead entourage...

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Me thinks someone has a thing for undead friendlies ... ;)

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I guess you never have to worry about sexual harassment or overtime complaints with those guys. :)

Shame the game does not have any of the incorporeal undead, so you can have stronger minions. Or if you could manage their gear and level them up. :)

6. Broken Finger

Broken Finger Member

I like any friendlies, really. Their friendliness is likable. I wouldn't mind having an animal pack, but since that's impossible with only one ranger, I have to compensate with rotting animated killers. That's just logical.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks for pointing this out, btw ... we'll fix it so that this encounter as well as the reward encounters ("a group of knights/elven maidens/couriers who are not sitting around a campfire approach you in the wild ...") don't happen on the campfire map.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's what stealth is: being in sight, but not seen.

Undead minions are okay, I guess. They don't talk much. Except that joke where they moan "Brains, brains!" and walk right past you. Ha Ha! :roll:

9. Broken Finger

Broken Finger Member

Gaear: Glad to hear it can be solved, although just changing the dialog with the assassin under these circumstances sounds way more fun... ;)

GuardianAngel: Yeah, they're nothing breathtaking, especially those crossbowmen that start spamming your history once they run out of their 20 bolts (seriously, 20?), but they work well as cannon fodder if your party is weak (and since my 'tank' in this game is a single class cleric, it's pretty much the case).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Heeey, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking the dead, I'm just saying ... :poke:

I like the Dead, even Grateful at that. Get it, Grateful ... Dead? heh heh I slay myself sometimes.

Oh, wait ... then I'd be dead. :dribble: brains ... brains

11. Broken Finger

Broken Finger Member

sirchet: I got that, I wasn't all that serious myself. ;)

12. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the reward parties sitting around a campfire when you meet them. They are traveling around to find you, I think bumping into them when they take a break is a reasonable possibility.

13. Gaear

Well, the dialog generally says something to the effect of "such and such approaches you," and I think Troika wanted those encounters to be of the "we found you!" variety as opposed to "you found us!"

The campfire RE map is a Co8 mod, so those encounters never happened that way originally.

14. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Hum... I'm the only one around that just see a frog inside a ice cube - and don't undertand a line of the thread?

15. Gaear

What we're talking about specifically is the random encounter map that has the firepit, normally with whatever NPCs were generated for the encounter congregated around it. That's a Co8 mod.

It's all well and good for most random monsters to occasionally be found sitting around a campfire (though some are a bit odd, like zombies and animals - building a fire seems a very thoughtful thing for them to do), but it doesn't work well with predefined encounters like the OP's example (the assassin). He's supposed to ambush you; you're not supposed to find him idling away the hours by the fire.

Broken Finger was being sarcastic by asserting that the assassin was very stealthy when encountered on that map, being as you find him by the campfire. That's not exactly stealth of the highest order.* ;) But we can fix it so that doesn't happen.

*Plus, the text says that he "appears suddenly before you, seemingly out of nowhere." On the campfire map, maybe it should say instead that he "... [appears startled and surprised, seemingly off guard] 'Huh?! Oh! I wasn't sleeping or anything. Hang on a sec ... let me find my dagger and put on my boots ... okay, are you those guys I'm looking for? ... Yeah? Okay. Ahem ... right then. So, let's do this. Ready? Wait, let me get another sip of coffee first ... Okay. Here we go ... Ahem! Prepare to meet your doom, fool!' " :grin:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
Our Host!