Fire node = hardlock

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hal900x, Apr 15, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Sorry if this is an existing topic, the search function in vbulletin is only slightly better than throwing spaghetti at a wall and hoping something sticks.

So I've had some fairly unpleasant bouts of jerkstop in this playthrough, but it seemed to be very area-specific...primarily in some of the long curving hallways in the dungeon levels, and it generally cleared up once I reached other areas. Now that I've just entered the elemental plane of fire, though, it's really bad. It happens specifically during combat, but it isn't really jerkstop. It's more like stop stop. It just freezes for long periods of time, with no mouse response. No keyboard either, for that matter: cannot even alt-tab out, although the keystrokes do eventually process after a few minutes, sometimes. Other times it is so severe and so permanent that I simple have to hard reset the PC. Any solutions to this? I really don't want to start over.

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

This is a known bug/pain. I would suggest you change your settings to minimum on video settings. Set them to the simplest you can. Also do not use Scather/Fragerach in the Node. save OFTEN. Sometimes you have to just leave the keyboard and computer alone for a few minutes. The game may unfreeze and allow you to get back into the play. If it keeps up you might just have to skip that Node.

3. stage

stage Member

Like cezmail said - try setting the video options to minimum (INCLUDING sliding down particles to 0%). Also the if you just leave it for long period it should eventually come out of it, different computers have different time, so do not reset it that quickly.
    Try make small moves and not big ones.

4. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Thanks, I don't have either sword atm. Yes, it's true that sometimes it "comes back", but for me at least, it quickly reoccurs. And sometimes, it just doesn't. Unless 2 hours wasn't long enough to wait.

I'll try dropping the settings way down. I assume no-one has narrowed it down to a specific component of the driver or graphics API that it doesn't play well with? The latest Nvidia driver has quite a number of tweaks, as does rivatuner and such.

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

No 2 hours is way too long. If more than 5-10 minutes almost better to do a restart. Hope my hints and those of Stage help and you can finish the Node. Nice encounters and have fun from the Guardian. :)

6. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

I find that this mostly occurs if there are still monsters in the area you're trying to get to. It's the worst with the monsters at the north side of the node, before reaching the stairs that lead to the Balor (?). The moment you dispose of them, it stops freezing.

As everyone here suggested, keep the video settings to a minimum, scroll little by little and don't scroll diagonally - only horizontally or vertically at all times.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is what has traditionally been known as 'lag,' btw, not jerkstop ... significant in that lag is an entirely vanilla phenomenon.

It's one of ToEE's unique features that is not really affected by your GPU or RAM or anything. Two hours is not unheard of.

8. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

He called it a "feature"...must be a dev ;)

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I seem to have better luck in the fire node if I don't scroll when my party is moving.

10. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

But it is a feature! It allows you to go do the dishes, or load a washing machine, or have dinner with your wife/GF while you're waiting for the game to unfreeze.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Out of interest, what's the longest any of you guys waited for?

12. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

I don't think I've given it more than half an hour. Beyond that, I just terminate the program and reload an earlier save.

Our Host!