Periapt of Wound Closure?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zephrelial, Mar 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zephrelial

Zephrelial Chaotic Neutral

Has anyone crafted this item ? and I wonder how useful and worthy it is? Thanks.(I read in the description that it grants the wearer regeneration ability,the same as a troll sounds awesome)

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Zephrelial
    Welcome aboard !! If you look at the "Wondrous Item (craft)" thread, you will see that
    I am working on a spreadsheet that will allow you to tell exactly what an item will do, and how much it will cost to craft (both in Gold and Experience points) before you craft it. I have never crafted a Periapt of Wound Closure, but there used to be a way you could get one about halfway through the game. My personal opinion is it's nice to find one, but not really worth the cost of crafting one as the rate of healing is too slow to be useful in combat (think of all the Trolls you have killed with Coupe De Grace because they hadn't regenerated enough Hit Points to get back on their feet).
    The Royal Canadian

3. florian1

florian1 Established Member

You can get it from the witch you save after fighting the drow as part of the moathouse respawn. It's one of the choices if you ask her for a reward. I think stoneskin doesn't work if you are wearing it, as the periapt converts damage to non-lethal, and stoneskin doesn't affect non-lethal damage. If you are playing a solo character, and you go unconscious from non-lethal, you still die even if there are no enemies left standing, although you would regenerate back to consciousness after a few turns.

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I personally like them as all the damage you take, outside of fire and acid, is treated as subdual damage. If you play in a group without a healer, or have little healing, then after a battle you can either just stand around or try to rest and get healed a LOT faster then from just resting in an inn or outside. To each their own I guess.

From my own experience, stoneskin has worked with the periapt helps to prolong the battle, especially if you play solo without any healing classes.

5. florian1

florian1 Established Member

You are correct, stoneskin does work with the periapt of wound closure. I just tested it against lethal and non-lethal damage. Works in both cases. Just thought I remembered an instance when it hadn't worked because of non-lethal damage, but I seem to be mistaken.

I agree that it is a big time saver (and potion saver!) after fights, as you will heal up quickly without having to rest, with the usual random encounters that entails.

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Yep. I admit it I was wrong on this one. Not a bad item to get or craft (crafting the item works fine). For what it's worth the rate of healing is 10 Hit Points per minute of "real" time (as in the time on your watch).
    The Royal Canadian

7. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I always craft this to all my charaters, especially if I have more than one frontliners. Then I don't have to worry about wounded or incapacitated characters as the computer never uses the coup de grace.

8. Rocktoy

Final answer to your question:

Attached Files:

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Congratulation!! How did you get him?

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Coup de Grace for AI is on my wishlist for future editions of Co8. :p

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its in there - are you sure you want it? Its horrible when it happens...

12. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Maybe it could be something turned on from the C08 Front End menu as a selection, but i agree with Ted. Getting coup-de-graced, say in the beginning from a mean kobold or lizard, or any other enemy for that matter would be ... less than awesome. when your characters are easily knocked out, and low on HP and general fighting ability.

Maybe only specific enemies could do it? Like Lord Hungous, or Lord Krunch. Some of the Drow fighters ... The Minotaur. The assassins! The roughest, meanest varmints in the game.

of course, then people would complain :twitch: what the HELLS just happened!!!?! :yes:

13. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

whoa, ?
    how'd that dude wax Iuz?

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Enemies later in the game, or enemies in big fights should be able to do it. Considering how few of them ever use any spell effects that would allow them to use CdG on your characters, shouldn't be a problem. But seriously, Periapt of Wound Closure is a lot more powerful than it should be for its cost - AI should be smart enough to CdG an unconscious target rather than keep whacking it indefinitely.

15. Rocktoy

You can read it from the thread: Iuz not leaving after confronted by St. Cuthbert

Our Host!