Irrelevant Tangents

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Jul 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
?

What should this thread be called?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2010.
  1. Irrelevant Tangents

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. The Thread About Nothing

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Communication Breakdown

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Train Wrecks And Other Derailments

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Thread Runoff

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Derail THIS!

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  7. Fool's Gold

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. In Passing

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. Side Trips

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  10. Weird Scenes Inside The Co8 Mine

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Okay, I installed mIRC. I tried the chat room. There's actually someone there! :chick:

So when is a good time of day (EST) to try the chat channel? :gotmyatte

2. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Yes, they were. Some examples follow.

1. When first three living people go to an unsafe house of the main character through the city for no reason.
    2. When they drive a car through a tunnel (FAST way) instead of proceeding carefully outside.
    3. When soldiers do not know how to make a building defendable/fortified.
    4. When soldiers keep an infected in an open room.
    5. When soldiers do not post any watchmen/guards, but everyone gathers for a dinner.
    6. When soldiers try to kill misbehaving people, while knowing they could be the only people left in the world.
    7. When soldiers carry little ammo with them or are unarmed at all.

Hmm... Looks like soldiers were the most stupid characters. Figures, for they were negative characters.

3. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Sorry I missed you. I was trying the Dragon Age II demo on my computer. I'm a little clumsy with WSAD controls.. I'm mostly a console gamer.

I usually go on around 9PM and hang around for a few hours.

4. whatsername74

So the american government might "shut down" tomorrow... I was just getting ready to plan out my crime spree when I read that it doesn't mean anything like it sounds. It just means that anything that is run by the governement is going to screw it's employees over for a while.Most will be laid off. Any government job that involves protecting life or property is considered essential. Such employees are req...uired to go to work, but will not get paid until the government shutdown is over. This ranges from museum security guards to military personnel.

5. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

But don't forget that those who are shutting down the gov because they refuse to agree on a workable budget...our Senators and Representatives...will still get paid.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I think Congress should be "required" to finally DO some work. There's nothing about the budget that came up suddenly at the last minute. Lock them in congress and let them live on the same MRE's that the "protectors" have to live on out in the field until they stop politicking and start being responsible.

7. whatsername74

Things that will really get on your server's nerves when you go out to eat(I'll probably end up adding to this post as I think of it)

1. Not looking up or acknowledging her when she greets you. Or worse, staring at her wordlessly(creepy).

2. Saying that you are ready when you really aren't, and keeping her there while you spend the next five minutes figuring out if you're in the mood for a burger or not.

3. Making stupid unoriginal jokes that every server out there has heard a million times. Examples:
    "Hello, my name is Whatsername and I'll be your server today,"
    "Hello, I'm Richard and I'll be your customer!"
    "Is there anything else you need, sir?"
    "How about a million dollars?"
    Etc.

4. Screaming her name across the restaurant or worse, while she is attending to one of her other tables. I will f***ing cut you.

5. Playing the martyr. If you don't like your food or it came out wrong, just order something else. It's going to be free and you're not hurting anyone but yourself.

6. JUST SIT WHERE THE HOST PUTS YOU, FOR GOD'S SAKE. Unless there is a legitimate reason. WANTING TO SIT BY THE WINDOW IS NOT A GOOD REASON TO MESS UP THE ROTATION. You are probably overwhelming your server, leaving another without a table, and making the servers mad at the hosts.

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Sorry you have had a holes like these types. I know it is part of the customer service field, been there- still doing it, but still a frustrating and aggravating time never the less. Hope you get the occasional good customer who leaves you with a smile as well as a great tip. :hug:

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've never worked in that industry, but I always feel embarassed for everyone involved when people do #3. It seems like a no-brainer, but people I guess figure they are very original and clever and tha no one has ever thought of or heard their jokes or witty chatter before.

Also the wordless creepy staring thing is funny. :grin:

10. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I HATE when they try to take my food away when I had not finished eating yet!

And I HATE when they advise me to take a BIG teapot (because "it is tastier", with a SWEET voice) when I order a small one*. Bah, OK, I've ordered big AND small, and tea from the small one was actually better. Little liars. Always trying to make more money from common people, despite the fact their food is overpriced by a factor of no less than x10. (Even if their cafes are NOT situated in the centre of Moscow near the Red Square...)

One final rant - if you order a two-cup capacity teapot do NOT put all your sugar into the first cup!

* - actually, there were small teapots with "these" kinds of tea and big teapots with "those" kinds of tea, so they should indeed taste differently.

11. kio11

kio11 Established Member

yeah i hate it when they take away my food when im eating too. i think one day there will e a fight about it. its fucking annoying

12. whatsername74

A server should always ask politely if she can take your plate out of your way.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  13. kio11

kio11 Established Member

yeah well waitresses dont do that usually. its usually the waiters. one day im plannig to hit the palte while ints on their hand

14. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I've spent my time being a food server and it is a trying job.

Why do people who are angry at someone else (or something else) think it is ok to take it out on the server?

And oh, my poor feet!

And never never work in a small mom & pop restaurant that someone just bought. New bosses are a pain in the rear end.

Tips? Smile pretty dear, or you won't get one. Smile, even when your feet are killing you.

15. kio11

kio11 Established Member

yeah they can go and sit at the back while i finish my food. if one explained me that they have a crappy boss id approach things differently. but no. most of the servers must act as if its their own place and expect me to finish quickly so new people can sit down. if they love their boss so much they should get married

Our Host!