3 Person Party, Need Advice

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by deathknight1728, Mar 20, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. deathknight1728

deathknight1728 Member

I watched a video on youtube of a guy soloing the game with a cleric and decided to give a three man party a shot.

Let me see what you guys think.

1) Rogue pureclass (or Bard?) I might multiclass but whatever i do, i want this guy to always be on the move weaving in and out of combat .

2)Barbarian pureclass. Tank plain and simple

3) Cleric. Clerics are overpowered and i know that from icewind dale 2. If you can solo iwd2 with 1 cleric in a real time, then god knows what you can do in turnbased. I was also thinking of making this guy a partial tank. Summoning is always nice.

I am unsure about the rogue, i want to have one, but i dont know if i should go with a ranger for 1 level or 1 lvl with a barbarian. I might just go with a bard. They dont do as much damage but are better to have in a party as songs are great i hear. Rogues would be good but i tried playing one and stealth isnt in the game. At least not like in bg2 and iwd2. If you could sneak up it would be good but you cant. I was also thinking of using spring attack and mobility but i dont know how that would work. Do bards multiclass well with any of the other melee classes (ranger, fighter, rogue, barbarian) ? I was thinking of giving 1 or 2 levels of something else and taking the other 8 in bard so my spells are potent.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

If you want a harder time you can always use a monk.

Rogues aren't weak if that's what you're thinking. I have a rogue with spiked chains of love and it does 20-40 damage on average. And it's dodging abilities basically substitute for a lack of defense, never gets hit.

3. deathknight1728

deathknight1728 Member

Oh i know that rogues arent weak but ive been playing their class through everyone of the classic games-bg1, bg2, iwd1, 2, planescape. Ive played all those game as a rogue and wanted to try a bard for a change. I figure if i get to level 9 with a bard i will get inspire greatness and that leaves me with 1 level i can get with another class. I might get another level with fighter, but barbarian will give me more movement.

Have you used bards at all or do they suck like in iwd2?

4. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

First time I walked trough the game I used a bard as my spokeperson and secondary archer/caster/crafter with no problems. I actually prefer bards over rogues, more personality. Never tried multiclasing though.

With a party of three I would recomend single class barbarian, bard and wizard (or cleric).

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I would go fighter, cleric, wizard. You need a tank, healer, and damage dealer. Spells are near essential for some later fights.

6. Rocktoy

Having both wizard and cleric is just too eazy ;) Try cleric and sorcerer or wizard and bard. Fighters are soulless, barbarians are more fun. :evilgrin:

7. deathknight1728

deathknight1728 Member

Thanks for the help everyone!

I am going to go and take rocktoy's advice-

1-Barbarian Full class, no reason to multi as there is nothing else you need. Prally take half orc too for extra muscle.

2-Cleric full class. I dont know what a good domain is but i will have to think on it. I am going to make a completely neutral party. True neutral for my bard to work.

3-bard full class, might multi one or two levels. I know that people are saying to not multi a bard but 2 levels of a rogue will give some sneak attack, trap disarming, and evasion. Not that bad a deal if you ask me. All you would really lose would be a little spellcasting and inspire greatness. Is it really worth it to take more than 8 levels in a bard?

8. deathknight1728

deathknight1728 Member

Just in case i do go with 1 or 2 levels of multiclass, will taking 2 levels of rogue for a almost full bard kill the class?

I want evasion, trap disarming and some sneak attack. Will it be worth it or should i go with something else? I always wanted to multiclass a bard as i very rarely multiclass anything.

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Start as a rogue for the extra skill points, and go heavy on CHA, INT, and DEX. I'd personally go shortbow, and hang back, bard song to start each fight, then fire away. I'd take more than 2 levels of rogue for the extra sneak damage. Give the bard spells in buffing, so the cleric can concentrate on attack spells. The bard will be the Barbarian's best friend with some Bull's Strength and Enlarge, then backing him up with the shortbow/composite shortbow (if you have any STR bonus). Also max out UMD, so he can use all the wands and scrolls you find/buy.

I'd also give the Barbarian a reach weapon like a Ranseur, so he can control the battle field, especially if Enlarged.

10. deathknight1728

deathknight1728 Member

Wait, sneak attack in toee works with ranged weapons? If so thats awesome.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Rogues get most, if not all, the skills that bards do. Along with more skill points and intimidate. You have to take bard levels to get the songs and the spells, of course. ;)

12. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Up to 30 feet away from the target, and as long as the target has lost its Dex bonus (blind, asleep, flatfooted, etc.).

I'd also recommend taking at least 3 lvls of Rogue if planning to multiclass as a Bard.

13. Rocktoy

Take law so you can craft axiomatic weapons or good so you can craft holy weapons. Both are very usefull later in the game.

edit. Law would be better since you can find some holy weapons in the game and the combination of holy and axiomatic is just priceless.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  14. Rocktoy

I would prefer barbarian over fighter since barbarian moves 10feet longer and at later levels can't be flanked. With combat reflexes and cleave you can just rush in middle of a large group of enemies and start bashing around with your reach weapon without worring of getting hurt too badly.

I also dissagree about the nessecity of casters. Last time I had a wizard in my group I ended up using just magic missiles, fireball and teleport. The better my melee/archer characters got the less I bothered use magic. Now I am having a cleric just because there is no vendor who would craft magic weapons or armors.

Our Host!