dolio's spell fixes and additions 0.1 for Co8 6.0.0 NC

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by dolio, Dec 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yep, spell audio is independant.

I use Beyond Compare for editing .tab files. It may seem odd because you're not necessarily comparing two files, but BC parses them nicely (unlike, say, Notepad).

btw, as current spell guy in residence, do you suppose you could look through our other custom spells' help.tab entries (even those you may not have modified) for consistency? This really should have been the job of the spell authors, but oftentimes they didn't do it. Consequently, when I added help.tab entries for all these spells, I pretty much just copied info from the SRD ... which may not always be accurate as far as the realities of ToEE the CRPG spells go. I realize this would be a big job, but if you at least provide an overview of what may be wrong, I'll make the fixes. I'll also add the entries for your custom spells (as well as the audio).

2. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Yes, I think I can check into them.

So, I've run into a bit of odd behavior. I've modified control plants to actually control plants, using the dominate person effect. It works, but it seems that when the spell runs out, they stay dominated, and I'm not really sure why. I've checked the script against the dominate person script, and it looks identical in the important ways.

My alternate version of dominate monster seems to have similar behavior, too. I made a script for the number originally in spell.mes, and used the dominate person effect. But, I think even when used on a human target, they stay dominated after the spell ends. And I've checked, and this doesn't happen with dominate person (or 'suggestion').

Has anyone encountered this before? Is the game hard-wired to fire some code when spell 141 (Dominate Person) ends, so that they get removed from your party? Or am I missing something obvious? If it's the former, that's pretty lame.

3. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

I encountered an unusual and frustrating error. I tried to activate the add-on as instructed but somewhere during the process, an error occurred - something about the .NET Framework. I might have made the wrong decision of selecting the option "Quit" instead of "Continue" from the error dialogue box as it seemed to have deleted the Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\data folder. I'm trying to re-do the activation of the mod at the moment or rather the add-on, hoping to restore the lost folder. Should I encounter the same problem, what should I select? Better yet, what should I do so there would no longer be errors?

EDIT: I apologize for the false alarm. After the 2nd try that fortunately turned out to be more successful, the game together with the update is now working seamlessly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Hey. I thought I should apologize for my lack of progress in a while. I've had some more pressing concerns than ToEE monopolizing my attention here.

I'll probably get back into it eventually, but it may be a bit yet before I do. Sorry.

5. Salk

Salk Established Member

We are all looking forward to the next version! :thumbsup:

6. Zero

Zero Member

is this by any chance compatible with 7.0 NC? or are the spells part of 7.0 now?

thanks for all the good work :love:

7. Zero

Zero Member

to answer my own question after merging spell.mes and overwriting all other files i have had no problems so far

8. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Is this in 7.2? I have it and my death domain cleric doesn't get wail of the banshee or destruction.

9. Gaear

No, it hasn't been added into the modpack yet but it (probably) will be eventually.

10. hellblazer

Re: dolio's spell fixes and additions 0.2 for Co8 6.0.0 NC

I've done this but when I click on add-on packs it says there aren't any installed for the module circle of eight modpack 7.2.0 NC.

How do I install this so I can test it?

How do you extract the .tam file so you can use proto editor to merge the spells files?

I figured it out. I just had to rename the directory so the front end would recognize it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  11. Gaear

I would not recommend that as this is an addon module specifically made for Co8 6.0.0. That's why all the naming measures and such to make it so that TFE-X won't let you run it otherwise. If you really want to test it, you should do so with v6.0.0.

12. hellblazer

How to fix death save or die spells to give experience

To fix slay living, finger of death, etc. to give experience replace

target.obj.critter_kill_by_effect()

with

slay_critter( target.obj, spell )

in the individual spell files in the data\scr folder.

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Re: How to fix death save or die spells to give experience

I wonder if Gaear will be adding this to the next update?

14. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I looked at that folder, and the files there are either *.py or *.pyc which is a format I am not familiar with. How would I edit them to do as you suggest?

15. hellblazer

You need to delete the .pyc file. That is the compiled python script. Edit the corresponding .py script by replacing

target.obj.critter_kill_by_effect()

with

slay_critter( target.obj, spell )

When you start the game the engine will read the new .py file and create a new .pyc file that it will use from now on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!