Where am I going wrong?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Irate Bard, Mar 19, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Irate Bard

Irate Bard Member

After finding ToEE incredibly hard going I decided to delve deeper and look at the rolls being made. It seems my best fighter ( Level 4, ) has to roll a 19 or better to score a hit on a Willo the Wisp with AC 34 wtf, and the rest of the party a 20. This is the same for any Mob inside the Temple, I mean how the hell can the first mage you meet in the Temple fire through walls with no line of sight and outright kill half your party with 1 fireball, and then 2 bugbears rush in that are harder than Mike Tyson on Crack Cocain. Surely this is way too hard. without ramdom mob encounters on the world map I dont know how else to improve my experience. I have done all but a few of the standard quests in Nulb etc.

I love this game but frustration is taking its toll. Just where am I going wrong?

2. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Level 4 might be a little early to take on the forces of the temple. There are plenty of quests you can do to gain more experience (especially if you're playing the New Content version), and be able to defeat the temple...

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Level 7 or 8 to tackle the Temple forces.

4. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

That is, I believe, a bug. I've had something similar happen in the Fire Temple, when I left the whole party somewhere near the main hallway on lvl 2 and sent just an invisible rogue to try and pick Bassanio's chest, and when they found me out, the Salamanders chucked fireballs at my party 500 feet and three walls away.

The temple bugbears are much tougher than their regular cousins, because they have a number of class levels in rogue or barbarian. Judging from their hit dice, the lesser temple bugbears must be are around 5th level, the greater temple ones near 10th.

5. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

Seeing that you are encountering fireballs must mean you are below Temple Level One. The deeper you go the harder it is.

Absolutly clear out Level One before you go further down. This will give you experience, gold to buy stuff, and better equipment.

Be careful though because even Level One is not a walk in the park.

If you have a wizzard, try charming a bugbear or two and use them as cannon fodder.

Willow Wisps are encountered either randomly or even deeper in the temple. They are very difficult to hit and always have been. You may find some simple spells do have some effect on them. Since your Fighter has the best chance of hitting them (with 19) try buffing him with Bulls Strength, Bless, Aid, or any thing else you find to give him a better chance. I bet you can get him to hit with 14 or better just by experimenting with some spells or buying/finding magic stuff.

I think I end up being around 4th-5th level by the time I make my first trip to the temple. So 4th level, though a little low, is not uncommon. If you do every quest you can in Hommlet and Nulb before you go to the temple you could be 6th or 7th level.

6. Irate Bard

Irate Bard Member

Thanks All, I was missing a lot of quests it seems and went to the Temple well under qualified. I had 1 lvl 4 in the party and the rest lvl 3. Found the Orc camp now so im on with that. Thanks again.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the reason for the 1000000 yard rang on the fireballs is how the game forces npcs to cast, they cast "bacKwards" in that they cast in the exact same way to cast as the pcs do, with targeting working in the same diection, so pc looks at where they can shoot and can target anything thats within their line of sight, the npc uses the pc also, so the PC is always within line of sight of himself even tho the spel lis sourced at the npc.

just somthing which can't be changed ans is a big pita

Our Host!