Circle of Eight Modpack v6 / v6 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Provodnik, Dec 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver_Knight

Silver_Knight Silver Knight

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 / 6.0.0 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

ah, I'm running it on a Dell Laptop (insoron 1545), it has a dual core processor (2.20ghz) and the graphics card is whatever dell's defualt card is. The weird thing is I've done alot of run throughs on vanillia, 5.6.0, 5.7.0, 5.8.1 NC, and even a run though on 6.0.0 NC, and I've never seen this before.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 / 6.0.0 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Fixed.

It happens.

That's normal.

That's normal too, as Ausdoerrt pointed out.

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Whenever I have the NPCs Pishella, Meleny, Serena, Riana, and Paida in my party, I experience the following in my game:
    * all enemies are no longer KOS (Kill On Sight);
    * all enemies have green circles around their base whenever I hover the mouse pointer over an "enemy"
    * combat never starts automatically (even when my party has an unavoidable random encounter). The only way that I can enter combat is by pressing the C key;
    * the SAME 4 NPCs always display their war cry text floaters simultaneously when combat starts.
    However, when I have the NPCs Pishella, Meleny, Serena, Riana, and Elmo in my party, the game works fine and I don't experience any of the above problems.

The 2 Elf Prisoners (that are with Countess Tillahi and her consort Sir Juffer) and the 2 Merchant Prisoners (that are with the recruitable NPC Wicked (Brigand Prisoner)) remain in their prison cells (on the right side of the ToEE dungeon level 2 map) after the others have been liberated and disappear (see screenshots below). Clicking on these 4 NPCs causes them to display text floaters, but they don't disappear.

Is it possible to modify the encounter with Senshock so that he always initiates dialogue with the player's party (like Troika had originally intended this encounter to work) instead of combat starting immediately (as it almost always does)?

After returning Paida to Valden, one of Valden's dialogue options is that he will give the player a spiked wooden shield as a reward. But Valden does not give the player a spiked wooden shield even though he states that he does in his dialogue option. Is this an item that has been removed from the game or is this a bug?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. Gaear

Fixed.

gazra ... is the Temple by any chance on alert when you're trying this? Senshock is KOS if it is. I've tested it quite a bit, and my findings are that he always talks when the temple is not on alert, and always goes KOS when the temple is on alert, exactly as his scripting indicates.

Fixed.

5. MB

MB Member

Have the following bugs been addressed?

1) Elvish resistance to ghoul paralyzation

2) strength modifiers to hit being factored in when pc has wpn finesse and is using light wpn

3) strength modifiers to damage being applies to rogue sneak attack damage

Was also windering if there was a tentative release date for 6.0.2?

Thanks guys

Mb

6. Gaear

Those things have not been addressed. At a glance, they look like hard-coded issues. More significantly, I don't prioritize mechanical issues as much as gameplay issues these days (scripting, design, etc.), and moreso with the NC than anything else. The rationale is that ToEE general bugfixing has had its day (actually a number of years), while Co8 custom content has needed some serious attention. (It has in turn mostly gotten this needed attention over the course of the 5.6 - 5.9 beta phase.)

Don't mean that to sound like a copout ... I know there are still bugs, but they are never all going to be fixed. With limited time and resources, we have to prioritize, and the NC still needs some rounding out and fleshing out. That's the sort of thing I've elected to focus on.

No release date for 6.0.2 yet. We've generally set firm release dates for the major milestones (the x.x.0s) and done the 'when it's done' thing for update releases. It's coming along handsomely, but as usually happens, I start on things and then get more ambitious with them, so delays ensue. In addition to stabilization, 6.0.2 will likely feature a whole new arc in Verbobonc dealing with narcing out various evil entities there, and the consequences thereof. Plus, NPCs across the board should be better informed about pretty much everything.

7. MB

MB Member

@ Gaear

Thanks for the response. Was just curious and totally understand the priority you are working with. Appreciate all that you and the team (members past and present) have done to make this an infinitely better game since it's release in Sep '03.

8. sage

sage Member

The changes to chest DCs is a feature I stopped playing my current game for. I'd really like to see this -- it's always bugged me, since all it really does is make me use Knock instead. I vote for sooner with 6.0.2. ;)

9. gazra_1971

Rannos Davl's Shortsword +1 (that he wields during combat) is pre-identified. When I payed 100 Gold to identify the weapon, the weapon was renamed Magic Shortsword (but this then allowed me to SHIFT-click the weapon (whereas I couldn't SHIFT-click the weapon when it was named Shortsword +1)).

There is a blue halo around the Wakizashi +1 when it is wielded by an NPC (see screenshot below). This halo isn't present when a PC wields the weapon. Is it possible to fix this? (because it looks dreadful!)

During combat, I had an NPC change from wielding a masterwork composite strength bow to wielding a Staff of Striking, and for the rest of the combat, I couldn't move ANY of my characters at all. They could only attack or change weapons. When I held down the Alt key, no green/yellow line appeared at all (showing where the active character could move). This is a really bad bug!

I second TheLadiesOgre's request for a Holy Avenger to be included in the NC version of the game. It would be an incentive to have a paladin in the player's party.

The D&D 3.5 SRD states:
    Requests for future additions to the NC version of the game:

A new recruitable NPC Lawful Good female human single-class paladin named Valderesse. She travels with Artur Jakarti. The two are inseparable (i.e. Valderesse will only join the player's party if Artur Jakarti joins as well). Valderesse's quest is to find and retrieve a Holy Avenger that is rumoured to have been lost long ago somewhere around these lands.
    Feat: Weapon Focus (Longsword)
    Equipment: Full Plate Armor, Large Steel Shield, Longsword

A new recruitable NPC Lawful Good male human single-class fighter named Artur Jakarti. Artur is secretly in love with Valderesse (but Valderesse does not return his love). Artur will only join the player's party if Valderesse joins as well.
    Strength: 18
    Equipment: Full Plate Armor, Metal Tower Shield, Iron Horn of Valhalla

The D&D 3.5 SRD states:
    Code:
    [B]Horn of Valhalla[/B]: This magic instrument comes in four varieties. Each appears to be normal until someone speaks its command word and blows the horn. Then the horn summons a number of human barbarians to fight for the character who summoned them. Each horn can be blown just once every seven days. Roll d% and refer to the table below to see what type of horn is found. The horn’s type determines what barbarians are summoned and what prerequisite is needed to use the horn. Any character who uses a horn of Valhalla but doesn’t have the prerequisite is attacked by the barbarians she herself summoned.

d%      Type of Horn     Barbarians Summoned      Prerequisite	   
    01–40   Silver           2d4+2, 2nd level	    None	   
    41–75   Brass	       2d4+1, 3rd level	    Spellcaster level 1st	   
    76–90   Bronze	       2d4, 4th level	    Proficiency with all martial weapons or bardic music ability	   
    91–100  Iron	       1d4+1, 5th level	    Proficiency with all martial weapons or bardic music ability	 
    Summoned barbarians are constructs, not actual people (though they seem to be); they arrive with the starting equipment for barbarians. They attack anyone the possessor of the horn commands them to fight until they or their opponents are slain or until 1 hour has elapsed, whichever comes first.
    Strong conjuration; CL 13th; Craft Wondrous Item, summon monster VI; Price 50,000 gp;Weight 2 lb.
    A new recruitable NPC Lawful Good male (oriental) human single-class monk named Shao (who resembles a Shaolin monk)
    Dexterity: 18
    Wisdom: 18
    Equipment: Orange Monk Robe, Monk Boots, Monk's Belt

A new recruitable NPC True Neutral male single-class half-orc barbarian named Krag (who resembles Conan the Barbarian)
    Strength: 20
    Constitution: 18
    Weapon Focus (Greatsword or Greataxe or Warhammer)
    Equipment: Greatsword or Greataxe or Greathammer or Maul

A new recruitable NPC Chaotic Good male single-class level 1 ranger (who resembles Aragorn (Strider) in The Lord of the Rings)
    Favored Enemy: Humans

A new recruitable NPC Chaotic Evil male single-class level 1 ranger.
    Favored Enemy: Humans

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I have an excellent NPC paladin named Mathilde(widow). A healthy boost in stats in protos and addnpc to the dlg file, and presto, a great paladin. I noticed her alignment was lawful good and decent feats so I made her a plaladin. Worked out good too.

11. gazra_1971

The following information pertains to version 6.0.1 NC:

Oohlgrist's Emerald Belt is pre-identified.

The player can't SHIFT-click or identify Antonio's Mace.

When I cast Cone of Cold on the Flamebrothers and Noble Salamanders, both types of monsters DID NOT take double damage from the cold damage (see screenshots below) (even though their stats state that these 2 types of monsters are supposed to take double damage from cold damage. However, when I cast Ice Storm at these 2 types of monsters, both types of monsters DID take double damage from the cold damage.

I failed Skole's quest to kill Lodriss. I then got ambushed by Skole's Goons. The first time that I was ambushed by Skole's Goons, one of the Goons was off the map (see screenshot below). I couldn't attack or kill him. He couldn't move or attack.

Then I talked to Lodriss and selected the option to wait until she leaved the tavern. Then I talked to Skole and combat ensued. But the 2 Nulb Village Men participated in the combat against the player's party (see screenshot below). Surely those 2 Nulb Village Men wouldn't have a death wish?

I killed Tolub and all of the pirates in the Boatmen's Tavern because they got brought into the combat because Bertram became hostile when combat started between Skole and my party. Then I talked to Lodriss. I pursued the dialogue options where I tell her that I want her, then I select the dialogue option that informs her that Tolub is dead. But one of the dialogue options after that is:
    Then I shall take my leave and leave your little men to play in their comical costumes.
    This sentence makes no sense because ALL of the pirates in the Boatmen's Tavern are dead (see screenshot below).

Skole has a True Neutral alignment. Surely he wouldn't offer the player the quest to murder Lodriss when he isn't evil?

All of the times that I have played this game, I've always accepted Skole's quest to kill Lodriss but then double-crossed Skole and killed Skole. I have just found out that Lodriss has a Lawful Evil alignment. Now I am in a quandary. If I kill Lodriss, then my party gets a really bad global reputation - yet she is EVIL! Go figure?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Doesn't the Fire Temple dampen cold spells? I've seen the Water Temple put out fireballs.

13. gazra_1971

General Ghoul, I cast Cone of Cold and Ice Storm in the Fire Temple where Bassanio and the Flamebrothers and the 2 Noble Salamanders are. The Ice Storm correctly did double cold damage to both the Flamebrothers and Noble Salamanders, but the Cone of Cold spell is bugged because it did NOT do double damage to either the Flamebrothers or the Noble Salamanders. I've read Sitra Achara's notes and he states that fire damage and cold damage are only modified in the Fire Node, the Water Node, and the Water Temple Pool Chamber. See the game guide & walkthrough for the Circle of Eight modpack NC thread for the exact details.

When you kill Tolub, he does not show up in the list of Creatures Killed in the Ego section of the Logbook.

14. stage

stage Member

Could it be that they make save throw, as Cone of Cold have a reflex save for half damage while Ice Storm is having no save throw?

15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Haha, what'd you expect from a lass who hangs out with the pirates? ;)

As for the rep, I think that'd depend on how you choose to handle her. IIRC, if you do it discreetly, you don't get Nulb hostile because, well, nobody saw you do it... I'm gonna leave it to you to figure it out. :yes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!