Attack by the big 3 (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Jan 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I am sure this is no suprise to most of us but anyway....

My only complaint about the Big 3 Ambush is that there is no opportunity to rest up after the fight with Lareth. Assuming you get a tough fight from Lareth and his minions where are you supposed to rest up? Any time you leave the moathouse you get attacked, and you cannot rest enough to heal for the fight. Unless you have a Cleric craft scrolls or something.

Just an observation.

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I normally save after the Lareth fight and rest and heal with spells repeatedly before the Big 3. You can also get the extraplanar chest to hold the Lareth fight loot.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I usually make cots out of the dead bodies and take a nap right there. Yeah you might get a stray bugbear or giant lizard, but its just more loot to me.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

IMO, it's part of the fun. Especially since the Big 3 isn't that hard once you charm Kobord.

Also, you can bring charmed soldiers from the Lareth fight into the Big 3 fight ;)

5. sradac

sradac Member

you can also go to emridy meadows, charm a whole bunch of skeletons with an evil cleric, bring em along and leave them outside the fight with lareth so they dont die. Then when you go outside you will have a huge skeletal wall between your party and the ambush.

and you can rest after lareths fight, just reload if you get attacked and the fights too hard. web and grease both make the ambush easier as well.

6. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

I like to go on the ambush just after the fight with Lareth. This makes the fight more challenging. I usually finish the fight with lareth leveling to 5º, and with a warband of 5º level fully rested, that ambush is just annoying, even boring.
    And, of course, it's an ambush! Ya dont expect it! Or, at least, ya're not expected to expect it!

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yes ... the most beautiful stories I hear are the ones from first-time players who have an OMG reaction to this sort of thing. That's why this stuff is there. ToEE is at it's best when you are unprepared. Being faced with situations where the outcome is genuinely in doubt is the only way to really get the blood pumping.

8. Ipon

Ipon Member

lvl 3 party of 6 here. First time ToEEer, long time PnPer.

I barely scrapped through Lareth. Then I saw the nice doorway leading out -- into that bright welcoming light . . .

It was quite a surprise to me. I still don't understand narratively why any of my party was 'flatfooted' after the dialog. Everyone was overburdened -- expecting to head back home with loot in tow. I had 3 party members die on me. Certainly got the blood pumping.

Btw: is the Monk supposed to have a dual personality disorder or something? His speech is so bland, but his asides are so sociopathic.

I find retreating all the way back to the Tower (where the spider was) is sensible.

9. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

Resting to restore HP and memorize spells any time during the course of Moathouse cleaning is allowed, just don't forget to save the game before doing so.

My solo wizard actually made it out on this one unharmed. Soloing can actually make the game easier sometimes. I can't recall what I did back then but I'm sure the good old fireball should have had toasted most of them, or the ever-reliable low-level web spell should render almost all of the useless; but what I'm really sure of was that I used a charm spell that always "works like a charm" on every scenario, there's nothing like a loyal meatshield.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Indeed, the game's much easier solo until you hit the cap. It's probably easiest for parties of 2-3 people since you hit 20 just about at the game-end.

If you play with a party of 4-6, you probably won't have any fireballs to throw. In fact, all those fights become ridiculously easy once you get access to higher-level spells.

11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

You don't need high level spells for this fight, although they do help. A few simple 1st and 2nd level spells, spells you didn't need in the Lareth fight will do. Entangle, now that it doesn't work inside, limits the attacks on you, with the addition of Lareth's ring, doesn't limit your attacks. Sleep works better here, since inside they wake each other up.

I find the best crowd control spell is Spiritual Weapon. Cast it in the middle of the hoard and watch them all try to attack it. The sword has good hps and AC, so most won't hurt it, and every hit it takes is one less on you. Entangle and web don't effect it, so it can move around if it needs to. Fireball doesn't effect it either, so if you have it, wait for everyone to crowd around and drop the bomb on them.

Finally, I never have problems with the "Big 3". They are just an afterthought in the fight, my troubles are with the raging gnolls and all those archers at the back. Now if one of them was a spellcaster, it might be different.

12. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I totally agree. Unfortunately I don't get many of these anymore.

13. Anthom

Anthom Member

I haven't played this game in years because it was so buggy, but I don't remember this. I finally got my group to 4th level and I had Elmo and Furnok. I was loaded down and ready to reap the rewards of my labors, when BAM. There are the three from the inn with some help behind them. I thought to myself. "Well I guess if I die I can just reload and try to save some magic after the Lareth fight or try sleeping." Instead I go through that fight like a hot knife through cold butter. Furnok got a crit hit from a crossbow that knocked him down to one hit point, but other than that it was easy. I thought anyway. I one hit Turuko and he was out and then it was either one or two hits for Zert. Kobort raged and ran up to one of my fighters and then I had my cleric hold person him and that was over quickly. Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the rest of the riff raff. I was kind of disappointed I went through them so fast. LOL! Maybe I was not supposed to be 4th level yet, but I had so much trouble with Lareth that I walked around and got wondering monsters until I hit 4th level. I like suprises. That way you have to stay on your toes. :grin:

14. crpsdealer

crpsdealer Member

I have not been able to trigger the attack after clearing the moathouse I am using 6.1.0. I am not sure what to do?

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you playing 6.1.0 NC?

Our Host!