Original ToEE Portrait Pack?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ipon, Jan 19, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ipon

Ipon Member

Co8 V6 overwrote some of the default portraits found in the character creator. Specifically the dwarves and orcs are missing as well as a few others. How do I get them back? Is the original art available in a Portrait Pack similar to the BG/IWD portraits?

It makes my Half-orcs sad they have walk around looking like Hummies.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not sure what you mean here ... Co8 doesn't overwrite any original player portraits.

3. Ipon

Ipon Member

For vanilla ToEE I see these images at the bottom of the PC portrait selection:

[​IMG]

After installing Co8 V6 NC and non-NC. (and also installing something that might not have been the standard issue Co8 V6 called: 2010_12_28_Circle_of_Eight_Modpack_6.0.0_Setup.exe

I have this:
    [​IMG]

The additions seem to be from a "Cabral" and "Adamo" package of some sort (from the files names in the portraits .mes file.)

The original images are clearly still available to ToEE somehow, as the pre-generated characters use some of those portraits. I'd just like to figure out how I can access them when I generate my own characters.

Thanks for the help.

4. Gaear

Look closely and you'll see that all the originals are still in there. (Except the drow - ToEE does not have a drow PC class so we used that one for a Co8 drow NPC instead.)

If you want to learn how to make your own portrait modifications, see the Portraits Made Easy sticky thread in this forum.

[edit]

Hang on, I see what you mean. That should not be happening. I'd suggest you reactivate the module, as it appears you're bottoming out on the portrait screen too early.

You didn't by any odd chance reinstall the original temple.dll file overtop the mod, did you, or anything else unusual?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. Ipon

Ipon Member

Okay, I reinstalled just to eliminate some variables. So now: GOG's ToEE + Co8 V6 NC. That's all. Same issue.

I tried activating ToEE and got the old portraits. Then I reactivated V6NC and got the same problem as above.

When either ToEE or V6NC are activated the temple.dll file is the same.
    md5hash: 67758f8d4841f9590d5ade9369d3c8e1
    Even though when ToEE is active the date is: Sep 26 2004
    And Co8 V6NC: Jan 19 2011

(Just as a reminder I'm using linux (see .sig))

And yes, I've read the Portraits made easy -- which was why I was asking for the original Portrait Pack, I was going to find the "Cabral" and "Adamo" files and replace them with the originals.

Again, thanks for the help.

6. Ipon

Ipon Member

Heh, i think I found the problem.

"temple.dll" is 7758f8d4841f9590d5ade9369d3c8e1
    "TEMPLE.DLL" is b69ed1efe2796b55389a26a09b832d45

when I renamed the file it fixed the problem.

It also saved me from my next post: which was going to be "where did my starting equipment go?" With the old temple.dll you go directly to the Druid and the town with nothing but 500gp and peasant shirts. Obviously Co8 intended something different since I ended up in the map room.

Now to figure out how to change the portraits of my existing characters -- though I guess that might not be worth the trouble. Most of the fun in D&D was creating characters and imagining what they might become.

Again, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just remember to swap things when I activate a module.

7. Gaear

Sorry about that. That whole case problem is one of the things we're trying to iron out with the Linux stuff. In future the case will be standardized (lower) and won't be an issue. Nice job figuring it out.

8. Dillerd

Dillerd Member

Ok I have the same problem (portrait list cut short) You fixed it by changing the name of which file to what? Details please. Also when I quit the game im told the program stopped working and have to alt tab my way out of it then hit enter. I know I didnt explain the secound problem very well, but dont let it discourage anyone from helping me with the first :)

9. Ipon

Ipon Member

TEMPLE.DLL is the modpack's file. temple.dll is the original file. Rename temple.dll.old and then rename TEMPLE.DLL to temple.dll. Should work now.

Unless I have that backwards.

The problem is that that linux filesystems are case-sensitive and the installer is not.

10. Gaear

6.1 / NC's temple.dll is already lowercase though and should work with both. Which modpack version are you using, Dillerd?

Also, you can ignore the second problem.

11. fla

fla Member

Hello! I have the same problem - a bunch of portraits missing while using the 6.1.0 version of the modpack. Everything else works perfectly. I'm using Windows 7 ultimate and an american retail version of the game.

Thanks

12. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

Sorry to threadjack a 6+ month old discussion but I had something vaguely related I wanted to ask about.

I spend a lot of time thinking about new Player Characters. I think I almost spend as much time creating that perfect little party, tweaking all the time the members, portraits, classes, alignments, than I actually do playing the game.

So many times have I got 1 or 2 thirds through the game and just felt, hmm, no something,off here, I want to start again. Anyway, I'm probably slightly mad and I digress...

I want to be able to browse character portraits before I create chars because, annoyingly, when using the ToEE char creator, Portrait and voice are the LAST things you spec yet to me I want them to be first because to me they define and inspire what the character should be. And it annoys me to have to do all the other stuff first.

With the new portrait packs installed, the portraits are viewable .tga files inside the ToEE directory, BUT there are only files present for the NEW portraits added in, not the original game ones.

Where can I find these, does anyone know?

13. Gaear

There hidden away in the game DATs, so unless you use an extraction utility on them, you won't be seeing the portraits in the game folders.

If you'd like, sometime I could make a master jpeg of all the ToEE portraits combined as they appear in-game.

14. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I did actually later find one, someone had packaged up all the original portraits and converted them into BMP format for importing it, of all things, BG2. Which does nicely.

I did wonder why I couldn't find them files anywhere though, thanks for the explanation :)

15. Bujy

Bujy Member

Does such a pack exist? Can someone make it exist? I need to original portraits so I can edit one of them.. You know the helm-less fighter with the goatee? I want to change that one to have red-hair, as I have a serious problem playing a character with a portrait anything un-redheaded. That is, one that doesnt have red hair, being a redheader myself.

Our Host!