ToEE Front-End X for Linux/Mono BETA

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Dec 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hey guys,

I've uploaded a public beta test version of TFE-X (ToEE Front-End X) that should be compatible with Linux and Mono (I expect that you need Mono v2.6+ to be installed in order for it to work).

Warning: This is a beta product, it may in fact corrupt your game, so please make backups!

I could really use your help in testing it:

- Make sure it works on a clean installation of ToEE (it deploys correctly).
    - Make sure it activates modules correctly.
    - Make sure the game options work.
    - Make sure everything else works. ;)

INSTALLATION:

- You need Mono v2.6 or newer and Wine installed on your Linux system in order for this to work (Mono is needed for TFE-X Linux Edition, and Wine is needed for ToEE).
    - Extract this archive into your game's root folder, make sure you set TFE-X-linux as an executable file (unless it already is), then launch it.

KNOWN ISSUES
    - The notification window for long processes does not work reliably on Mono for some reason. Please be patient and remember that TFE-X might take several minutes to install and deploy - even if the notification window does not pop up, assume that it's working.

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. iggychaos

iggychaos Member

Thanks for setting this up !

Was able to install mono 2.6 from badgerports but I'm using the GoG version of ToEE which to my understanding is already patched.

However, running the TFE-X-linux complains its not in the root directory and/or I still must install the patch.

Obviously, I'm in the root dir but thats something like

~.wine/drive_c/Program Files/GoG.com/Temple of Elemental Evil

which might not be what its expecting.

What's the prior steps to trying this? Unrar the Co8 archive into the Toee root, then untar this file there, then run TFE-X-linux ?

3. Agetian

OK, I think I've found the issue... Now it should work correctly (at least the initialization phase, that is - remember, it can still trash your ToEE installation if something goes wrong, so make backups ;)). Please redownload the updated archive from the first post, untar, overwrite all files, then try again and tell me if it fixed the issue for you and if you have any further issues.

- Agetian

4. Agetian

UPDATE: An updated version of this tool is available now from Other Downloads along with the Windows version of TFE-X.

- Agetian

5. hadack

hadack Member

Hi installed all the stuff and works so far, but when starting the game it opens firefox with the url http://toee.exe.
    When i do 'xdg-open toee.exe' in a terminal its starting correctly with wine.
    Oh, and you have two toee.exe (lower- and uppercase) after the modpack is installed, so i deleted the old one and changed to lowercase. With the gog version at least.

But thanks for the linux version anyway!

Edit:
    Seems the problem is with the case of toee.exe, doing xdg-open with the wrong spelling it opens it in firefox.
    So what spelling is TFE-X expecting?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  6. Agetian

Hey, thanks for noting that, this is an important point, I'll pass this over to Gaear so that he can correct the spelling of the file in the modpack. TFE-X is currently expecting ToEE.exe (exactly like that), but I may modify it so that it expects lowercase.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Agetian

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. Agetian

8. Agetian

9. hadack

hadack Member

Great, it works now, only one thing: when setting the option 'use level cap' it doesn't start with the error: xdg-open: unexpected option '-maxlevel:20'
    And it would be great if there were a way to show the command line TFE-X is using to start toee, so i don't have to go through it every time.

10. Agetian

Hmm, this is weird, it doesn't happen on any of my Linux installations... I'll look into it. *shrug* And will see if I can show the command line too.

- Agetian

11. SCO

SCO Member

I'd like to report a few bugs, not from this download of the linux exe but from the one on the 6.0.0 NC modpack (the same right?)

You are not checking for the duplicate files due to the case. This is problematic since the normal TFX doesn't work on wine, and the linux one duplicates files like toee.exe (instead of ToEE.exe), TEMPLE.DLL (instead of temple.dll) and toee.cfg (instead of ToEE.cfg - i think).

You need to make this more robust for case sensitive file systems where you can't take advantage of the wine translation layer, otherwise duplicate files appear, and the behavior becomes pretty unpredictable. I think it would be better if instead of just dumping things in the dir, comparing against the lowercased filenames in the dir and if there is one that matches, write the file with the original filename so it is correctly overwritten.

My clumsy solution was to run the windows TFX exe to set up, then run the linux TFX to actually activate the module.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  12. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Actually, it does. I've been using it for two or three weeks now. Wine versions 1.2.x and 1.3.x.

However, you have to install .Net 2.0. The easiest way to do this is the winetricks script. Set up wine how you like, and then run 'winetricks dotnet20', and it'll install the necessary stuff. The only defect (that I've found) that TFE-X has under such a setup is that the menu bar doesn't get painted, because some gradient effect isn't implemented. It still works, though; you just have to guess where the buttons are.

There's also a 'dotnet20sp2' and 'dotnet30' for winetricks, but I don't think I'd recommend them. The latter crashed during the install, and put itself in an un-fixable state, so I couldn't even uninstall it, I just had to blow away the wine partition and start from scratch. The former may be fine, I can't recall, but I don't think it fixes the menu bar problem.

Since Co8 now ships the no-cd exe, it's fully possible to play their mod using standard wine, just about as well as playing on windows.

13. Agetian

I'm aware of this problem, but it's not as easy to solve as it looks - apparently there is no consistency in file naming between different releases of ToEE, so there is no easy way to predict which case you will have for your file names. On Windows, it doesn't matter because it doesn't care about the case of letters, but since Linux cares, it becomes an issue. However, just renaming the files the way you named will not solve the problem - I actually renamed them to the current state of things according to the game release I'm currently using, so it will make it work with one game release (e.g. GOG or original Atari jewelcase or whatever) but will break it with the others. I'm still thinking about what solution would be good here.

- Agetian

14. SCO

SCO Member

It doesn't matter.
    I gave you a algorithm that solves it:
    "I think it would be better if instead of just dumping things in the dir, comparing against the lowercased filenames in the dir and if there is one that matches (the files you are to copy), write that file with the original filename so it is correctly overwritten."

for(File filetoReplace : listOfExtractedFiles){
    //write the file to the temp dir
    }

for(File indirectoryFile : dirList){
    String name = indirectoryFile.getName()
    for(File filetoReplace: listOfExtractedFiles){
    String extractedFileName = filetoReplace.getName()
    if(!extractedFileName.equals(name) && extractedFileName.tolowercase().equals(name.toLowercase())){
    filetoReplace.rename(name)
    }
    }
    }
    for(File filetoReplace : listOfExtractedFiles){
    //move the file
    }
    Or similar.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Just FYI, modpacks 3.0.4, 4.0.1, 5.0.0, and 5.5.0 are all going to be re-released with standardized versions of, specifically, TEMPLE.DLL and toee.exe. (I wasn't aware that ToEE.cfg was an issue.) This was necessary anyway in order to bring the old releases up to date with the inclusion of the executable, so that each can be self-sufficient, as it were. So very soon, each modpack that Co8 supports will include TEMPLE.DLL and toee.exe in those exact forms and no other.

The 5.6 - 5.9 series were all beta and are not going to be formally supported, btw. The new versions of 3.0.4 and 4.0.1 are already available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!