unimpressed

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by toole96, Dec 31, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. toole96

toole96 Member

I think the new co8 is a little tough. it started with 2 people dying in the very beginning for my chaotic party when the zombies scored 3 critical hits on my party. then when i had a full-strength paladin killed in one hit (not even critical) from the ogre in the moat house. love the original but not the new.

is there any way to keep the fixed bugs but change the difficulty?

Thanks for reading this,

Zach

2. chano

chano Established Member

Wait with the moathouse until you are on level 2, that will help a bit.
    There is a lot of small quests to be made plus the welkwood bog before going to the moathouse.
    You could use Elmo as help aswell.

3. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Don't blame TOEE or the modders, blame D&D. Popular as they are, these rules are just horribly broken at the core. Low level chars regularly get snuffed by moskitos, high level chars need a whole new world created around them or they would be bored to death. That's just how it is.

4. Salk

Salk Established Member

I didn't find the game (Co8 modded) unbalanced at all. On the contrary, I think the difficulty level scales well enough. Of course, it's a big help to recruit NPCs and have characters with high stats where it counts.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Some Co8 elements may definitely have made the game tougher (like smarter spell-casters), but the Ogre and Zombies are unchanged to my knowledge. An Ogre is always going to have a chance of one-shotting anything with less than 20hp.

6. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Sometimes it's just the rolls. I just went into the Welkwood Bog and every kobold that charged up landed a critical hit on a character with AC 18. Getting one-shotted by an ogre may be bad, but getting one-shotted by a kobold adds yet another dimension of humiliation. But it happens - such is the life of the D&D gamer.

I like the smarter spellcasters, btw. They are not dumb, so why wouldn't they have a good spell selection and try to use it?

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Aye, unchanged they are.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

And there I thought I was the only one who owned a 20 sided die with nothing but 1's on it.:twitch:

9. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

I fully agree, Wizards rely on being intelligent, so having them not use their spells efficently seems counter-intuitive. Granted there could be exceptions such as the wizard with a broken mind, but they should be just that-- exceptions.

One could argue that Sorcerers being built off of their charisma could lead to them using their spells stupidly, though to that I counter with the fact that Sorcerers have their magic in their blood, no one knows what they are capable of moreso than them. I do think that Sorcerers would have a tendency to react more passionately than a wizard which could lead to them making foolish choices but that is simply RP preference.

All in all though, the smarter spellcasters do make the game more difficult, though I do not feel that it is in a bad way.

After all, you have all of the tools you need to counter them.....

10. Templar

Templar Established Member

well I feel that most people that are still playing toee are looking for things to be brought to another level and co8 does an amazing job of that. Its really like a whole extra game in there now.

11. toole96

toole96 Member

And for the beginning for the chaotic party, i cant beat it because at the end there is a locked chest you need to open. even my rrogue cant open it

12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Look at your roll screen, how far off are you from opening it. Do you have any clerics or druid who can cast Guidance. Did you buy Lockslip Grease and Thieves Tools from the equipment map? Does your rogue have a decent DEX score? He can take the feat Skill Focus:Open Locks. Any bards in the party?

13. toole96

toole96 Member

and with the new patches and such, the rolling of the dice was improved or something?

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

No, but you can see what you rolled vs the DC to open the chest. If the DC is a 24 and you got a 23, then a simple Guidance spell will put you over the top.

15. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

I hate that chest in the Chaotic Neutral opening... But it is there since the original game - Toole96, till now ya having problem just with things that are in the original game, nothing new... Ya having problems with D&D, and not with ToEE, to be true...
    Any rogue with Dex 16 or higher, fully trained in opening chests and thieves tools will be able to open that chest. If ya havent a rogue with those things, ya missing something...

Our Host!