Most damage scored in single opponent attack

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Dec 19, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

What everyone's highest. I just used my Staff of Striking on Terjon (with a lvl 8 evil cleric) and cast greater magic weapon on it. Not sure what it would do.

I score 210 damage and abruptly I got the "Terjon dies!" in my box.

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

That is a known bug, so I'm not sure it should count.

3. Templar

ahhh :(

heh my highest otherwise I think is about 70 using a crafted Ranseur and buffed critical.

4. General Ghoul

I once hit for 115 with a raging barbarian with a holy flaming ranseur, love that whacking sound!

5. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

18th lvl Half Orc Rogue, Enhanced weapon - Great Cleaver, +3, Keen, Frost, Icy Burst

Max starting STR 20, +4 fm levelups, +6 fm Girdle, +2 fm Enlarge, +2 fm Righteous Might, +2 fm Greater Heroism = 36 (+13)

Critical Hit (x3) (Dual Wield, 1st attack)
    6D8+0=32
    -+39 Strength Bonus
    -+9 Enhancement
    -+9 Bardic Music Inspired Courage (fm 18th level Bard)
    9D6+0=41 Sneak Attack
    1D6+0=2 Item: Frost Enchancement
    2D10+0=12 Item Icy Burst Enhancement
    -------------
    144 HP Damage (just a representative sample, max is 185 in this configuration)

Additional Buffs - Greater Invisibility, Haste

^This character can stand toe to toe with Iuz, of course Iuz usually runs off after easier prey in a round or two. Sadly, the Sanctuary spell didn't work out for them and St. Cuthbert's meddling material plane avatar showed up. With a bard as a face, the 2 highest rolls could be put on STR and DEX when creating this character.

Note: 1 size up (Enlarge or Righteous Might) changes Great Cleaver damage from 1D10 to 2D6, 2 sizes up (Enlarge and Righteous Might) changes Great Cleaver damage from 1D10 to 2D8. This works the same way for all my 1D10 weapons (Great Cleaver, Glaive, Longbow). I'm pretty sure all weapons are affected in a similar manner, my pre-Hedrack save party only had 1D10 weapons on them for this test. Cipher Script/Use Magical Device is a wonderful skill for bards and rogues if you have a cleric that can scribe scrolls.

This configuration isn't maxed out, but it's close, it would easily be over 200 against flamebrothers and fire toads with the cold enhancement doing double damage and the party at 20th level (+4 bardic, 10D6 sneak attack) by the time they got there (5 person party). I think Prayer would also stack with that stuff as well, don't know, haven't tried it. Isn't ^that overpowered enough?

EDIT: Righeous Might = +4 STR and stacks with the +2 from Enlarge Person (in 5.9.3NC, regardless of what DMG/SRD says should happen). The damage totals above are directly from the Roll History screen in game. I incorrectly thought I was getting +2 STR from Greater Heroism when I originially posted this.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  6. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

I've had a lvl 2/3 gish character with STR18 hit consistently for 60+dmg without giant str belts using a normal glave. That's pretty fun at low lvls, especially since I hadn't planned on ridiculous numbers.

At lvl 12, with a +3 holy Glave he'd hit for 183 dmg without sneak attack, and be completely unhittable with mirror image, blur, and Shield spell, displacement.

Lvl 18... I suppose I could be silly and add some rogue lvls and use a greater invis for constant 3d6 sneak attacks (no need to flank) on top of it; what's that, 201 max dmg? That's without a giant str belt btw or bardic music or Prayer btw; add +13 more if he has those to draw on. :) Oh, and add +8 more dmg from the additional 2h PA from +4 more BAB.

So... 222 dmg max with 18 Str base and a +5 enchanment weapon with a giant belt, bard and prayer?

I'm sure someone can do better than that though. I also didn't factor in Greater Magic Weapon from a lvl 16 wizard adding +3 on a crit; I really don't believe TOEE is designed to be fun above lvl 14 or so even with the Co8 NC anyway.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  7. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Righteous might and enlarge person shouldn't stack.

Also: what is the staff of striking doing to get that much damage? That's on a regular hit, not a critical? Even if you have +5 from greater magic weapon, and then three smiting charges raises that by +3, and then triples it, that's only like 24 damage. Or if you roll maximum damage on 1d8+8, and triple it, that's 48. What weird calculation is it doing to get 210?

8. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

99% sure you're right. Also Greater Heroism doesn't do anything for dmg or Str, which is why I didn't bother factoring it in.

9. Templar

well General Ghoul says it is a known glitch, it should not be doing that much damage at all.

I only had enlarge person (does that just give you more reach or does it give stat bonuses to?) that and Bull's Strength. So about a 25 strength plus haste.

10. dolio

Yeah, enlarge person ups your strength by 2, and increases weapon size, and thus damage.

I hadn't thought about strength bonus. If it's multiplying that, I guess it can add up.

Anyhow, my question was: what's the glitch? How is it coming up with 210 damage? It must be doing some calculation; it's just the wrong calculation. The way a staff of striking is described as working (in the SRD/DMG) is that it multiplies the damage bonus on the weapon (+3) by the number of charges used. So with 3 charges it's +9. Even if that multiplier is being used for all the damage, to get 210, you have to account for around 70 with some other weapon.

Not that 70 damage couldn't be accounted for, but I'd be skeptical of an 8th level cleric doing it without it being built toward that end.

11. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

FWIW

Lareth's Staff of Striking Roll History breakdown:
    (doesn't matter if magic weapon or greater magic weapon is used, tested both)

1d6=1-6 bludgeoning
    +4 STR bonus (STR-18)
    --- Enhancement: Lareth's SoS does not stack with, Enhancement: Lareth's SoS.
    +9 Item: Lareth's Staff of Striking (set to +3 in this case) only appears in Roll History when Staff of Striking charge is set prior to attack, reverts to zero after one attack and must be set again
    +203 Enhancement: Lareth's SoS
    -------
    217-222, 208-213 if charge not set

Just tested, never tried it before.

the +203 does not change under any condition I tried, didn't get a crit

12. dolio

Hah, wow. I wasn't expecting that.

You should see what happens when you get a crit. It might multiply that damage.

13. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Went back and tested some more. A crit does indeed double the damage (base enhancement 404, X2 for 1d6 and STR, +9 if charge is set to 3. The staff seemed to run out of charges after awhile. Damage went back down to normal, no option to set the charge. Magic weapon was still in effect apparently (no way to tell that I know of, my rogue didn't have a "dismiss spells" option right after reading the scroll). I cast magic weapon on the staff again, thinking majic weapon expired. The Roll History then reflected 2 "ehancement does not stack with enhancement" lines instead of the previous 1. I'm pretty sure the spells are stacking though, because the 3rd line of enhancement repeatedly showed 754 after that! (in addition to +4-18STR and 1d6). The set charge option never came back to the radial menu.

Might as well console in the Sword of Caohem or Cerulean's Rod and cast All Die. I never tried this before because after reading some of the other posts about the Staff of Striking exploit it always seemed like a pretty good way to corrupt a game save (don't know-didn't save any of this) in addition to being, you know, a huge cheat. I'm done with my 5.9.3 campaigns, waiting on 6.0, so I just went back to an old save to see what the deal was after reading this thread.

14. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

It's not the record, but my Brb 2/Sor 1 half-orc with Str 18, raging, and armed with nothing but a basic single greataxe up against one of Lareth's medium pet spiders just critted the critter for 52 damage. I find that quite impressive and wonder how that's even possible. Is the strength bonus also tripled? Looks like it, because 1d12x3+9 would be 45 max. But 52 is not a multiple of 3 ... :confused:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  15. General Ghoul

You can click on the damage score and it will break it down for you. Seems you cracked that spider open like a crab cake!

Our Host!