Crash on starting new game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Xaos, Nov 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Xaos

Xaos Member

When I select "New Game" from the main menu, I get the select party alignment dialogue, except that none of the buttons have any text. If I try to select the True Neutral (or NG) button and click accept, the game crashes.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You very likely need to deactivate and reactivate the mod - or maybe even reinstall ToEE altogether - if you've got a problem as fundamental as that.

Are you by any chance using an unsupported widescreen resolution?

3. Xaos

Xaos Member

Nope, I specifically dug up that thread and made sure to use a supported widescreen resolution.

I have tried deactivating and reactivating. I will try a re-install and then report back.

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Good luck then and hope that does the trick for ya Xaos. :)

5. Xaos

Xaos Member

Me too.... just have to make the thing cooperate and uninstall first.... not sure what I borked up, but it is seriously angry at me for some reason...

6. shiffd

shiffd Member

Me3.

First I had a kinda (I think) broken quest situation, so I restarted.

After that I was using autosave (didnt see the thing where it bugs).

I got currupted saves, so I did what I thought was necessary (went into the folder with the saves and manually deleted the save files because I could not delete the worst corrupted saves from the ingame menu).

I was still able to start a new party and that but I decided not to and played a few other games fora few days...having been thouroughly disgusted with the amount of bugs in TOEE very great game concept and lots of seemingly cool content but can't get to it through all the darn bugs.....

Today I decided to go back and restart my party for the 3rd time, but went and selected party alignment and sure enough when I hit accept the thing just crashes.

So whatever file is used when you go to select a new party has some sort of corruption in it. Who knows what it is but obviously there are 3 of us that are having this problem.

Any idea of what specific thing happens after selecting party alignment and hitting accept? (so what file/folder there could be a bug in)

Hopefully we find a solution. I have absolutely no idea how this particular error happened this time. I am not going to play the game until I know that this error was something I did/something that will never happen again, because at this point I am tired of playing the first 6 levels and restarting from a bug over and over. Really tired.

7. Gaear

What operating system and game version are you using? Did you allow the module activation to complete - got the 'it's done' popup window and all that?

Do you also get no text in the alignment buttons like Xaos?

This is not a universal problem, so it's got to be something unique to your system/setup/installation. I would try deactivating/reactivating the module first.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That has fixed my installation problems more than once.

9. shiffd

shiffd Member

I uninstalled the whole game and reinstalled it.

Then I started making a party.

Then suddenly today it stops working again. WTF.

I guess after installing it waits a few days and then stops working?????? I'll figure it out eventually.

10. Gaear

If you mean stops working as in doesn't launch, your anti-virus software is probably deleting or quarantining the executable, which is often flagged as a false positive by AV software. You need to add TOEE.exe as an exception, or disbale your AV software, or get different AV software that doesn't mind TOEE.exe.

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I finally got off my cheap ass and bought AVG full edition and it works great. Allow toee.exe and away you go. I'm not a salesperson for AVG, but it sure seems to work good.

12. Grimslade

Grimslade Member

I've recently encountered a similar problem - maybe someone can give me some advice. I decided to start a new playthrough and made a party and did ok until lvl 2. Upon trying to enter the inn for some rest after catching Fernok cheating at cards the game crashed (no biggie - this happens on occaision). The problem is that I can no longer load saves - if I select the Load Game button the game crashes. The mod (5.9.1 NC I think) has always worked great for me - so I'm puzzled. Will deactivating the mod then reactivating it possibly help? (I'm not entirely sure how to do this - is it an obvious choice on the start-up screen?) Thanks in advance for any help :)

Grimslade

Our Host!