Valden and the ogre

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Nov 24, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

I was just wandering how you get Valden to tell you about Paida. I remembered when I played last time he tells you how she is missing and you go and save her.

But he won't say nothing to me and my talking skills are fairly high.

Also in the Moat house, I had the robes on from the chest and the ogre says its okay but get out but he attacked me immediatly after dialog closed anyway.

And I know the money changer in Hommlet had a sword before but does this seem right for him to have an enchanted weapon? I know he's dealing with expensive jewels here but shouldn't that be more appropriate on his gaurds?

You walk in and he's like, don't try anything funny pal!

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The Rescue of Paida quest is tied in with the Lawful Good Opening Vignette quest.

The jeweller Nira Melubb wields a Longsword +1 and he also has a Dagger +1 in his backpack.

Speaking of unlikely NPCs who have magical weapons, how the HELL did farmer Filliken get that Holy Longsword?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Considering Filliken have some knowledge about wandering monsters - "Melleny, honey, dont go on that Deklo woods, right? Aye, there are some letal ozzes around there, ya know..." - he shall be a retired adventurer, maybe. Or, as I like much more to think, it's just a family relic.

(thinking about the lore of old Filliken, I figure out that there are no Ochre Jelly on the Deklo Groove, jsut some spiders. Or the ecology of the place have changed a lot in the years after Filliken retire - if he was really a adventurer - or he is REALLY dumb!)

4. Templar

No, I don't mean Filliken, I mean the money changer (the jeweler), near the temple of Saint Cuthbert. The one that sells gems and fancy rings and stuff.

He has a magical sword in his hand.

But with Filliken, he comes off to me as a farmer all his life. His hardened and very little if any joking around. I would say he's grown up doing that all his life, but I could be wrong.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The Filiken sword is a family hierloom so I suspect a past relative may have been a paladin. The rescue quest is hardy worth it. Not much reward or XP for it.

6. Templar

yes, I agree with you whole heartedly. But I am not meaning Filliken or the farmers I mean the man with thick rimmed glasses near the well by the temple of Saint Cuthbert.

The man whole sells jewels, the jeweler/money changer. He holds an enchanted sword in his hand. I just didn't know why.

7. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

Well, the jeweler (his name is Nira Melubb) probably has a magical weapon simply because he can afford it. He is the jeweler, you know. Plus, he clearly states that he has moved to Hommlet from a bigger city, where threat levels to cashy businesses are probably worth the extra investment of having a magical weapon.

As for the quest Rescue of Paida, it is available also outside the Lawful Good vignette quest. I don't know what story state is required, but I usually get this quest by talking to Valden after I've visited the temple. Otherwise it is the same as the vignette.

Lubash the ogre was probably just too bored or near-sighted to bother looking at your robes and just decided to whop your party for the heck of it. Or maybe you just picked the wrong dialogue cue to exit the conversation. Don't know, my rogue always manages to bluff the dumb hulk just by using the robes and witty dialogue.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

As for the Rescue of Paida, unless there is a change in the last 2 or 3 Mods, she can definitely be quested for and rescued, even if not Lawful Good.

I almost always play a NG game and I get this quest after tallking to Valden a couple or three times throughout the storyline.

Azured could be right, and it may be after I visited the Temple before I actually got the quest.

I just make a point to visit him at the beginning when running Hommelett, then a couple more times along the game. You will get the quest.

9. Templar

true, but if you walked into the diamond store with your girlfriend and the clerk has a Ak 47 in his hands would you find it a bit odd?

thanks guys for the answers.

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Yes, but I have walked into a pawn shop and the dealer had a 9mm on his hip.

11. Templar

where do you live?

Geez, I'm in Canada. Maybe its just that no one does that around here.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well as for the jeweler , it is just the graphic that has him holding the sword. I am sure if this was real life, the sword would be in its scabbard.

Lubash may have attacked you if anyone in the group did NOT have the flame cloak on. I never bother with it, but the conversation may be tagged to cause an automatic attack if the entire group is not wearing the cloak.

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Everyone has a weapon in their hands.

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Like an animal companion. But those chickens don't look good in cloaks anyway.

15. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

TSR- T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil

Nira Melubb is truly neutral. Though the rise
    of evil is not desired by him (as it would hurt
    business), he has no other interest in events.
    He keeps a dagger + 1 in his boot and a
    sword + 1 under the counter.

Filiken's sword however is completely a trokia invention.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
Our Host!