Co8 New Content: Verbobonc

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. LedZerggelin

LedZerggelin Member

How do I do this?

I searched the forums a bit and tried stuff in game. How do I get access to the dungeon where the drow are in the gnome building in verbobonc? Ive talked to the viscount and gnomes, but no dice. The only way I can get in is to Knock the door, but then the gnomes attack me and I get arrested.

Also, I forund Guntur Gladstone. Where are the other two?

I have 8 created party members in my group. After browsing around and reading stuff, this doesnt seem like the best idea. Do peeps here really play this game with only one created character?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If you can kill the guard before his second turn, he won't be able to call for help and the city won't be alerted. Otherwise, you'll just have to deal with the consequences. (Notice how I said consequences, as in "C&C" and all that stuff that everyone thinks is so cool in a CRPG? ;) )

The gnomes from the Moathouse will give you the key, but they won't appear down there unless you rescued them from the Moathouse. In the next release, Zook will give you the key if the Moathouse gnomes aren't around. Otherwise you can pick the lock, and I was always able to use the knock spell in testing. There's no reason the gnomes should attack you for casting knock.

3. LedZerggelin

LedZerggelin Member

I've tried it twice with knock. They gnomes attacked me twice.

I'm wondering if it is because they got webbed by the spider that is in the first room passed the knocked door. Thats another thing that I find not exactly correct. How can the spider almost center a web in the room with the five gnome guards when it cant even be seen by the spider.

Gonna try it again tonight.

4. LedZerggelin

LedZerggelin Member

Dragon?

What Dragon? Where?

I need to go an talk to EVERYBODY in that city again.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Talk to the gnomes... And go down the stairs...

6. foliowyrm

foliowyrm Member

"In addition it doesn't conform to DnD design philosophy. All spells and abilities in the system can be defended against or countered. The only exceptions are powers exhibited by deities. In essence, this encounter is cheating."

Anyone remember Tomb of Horrors? OK it wasn't your run of the mill module, but it did include the term "no saving throw" wayyyy to often.

7. Elethiomel

Elethiomel Member

Tomb of Horrors is explicitly made to screw players over, though. I ran some through it who knew what they were in for and planned appropriately... they were inattentive to one detail 2/3rds of the way through and it killed them instantly.

Anyway, I admit I was wrong earlier. If the cleric of the bad guys' group casts Blasphemy all non-evil characters of his caster level - 5 or lower in the area will be paralyzed for 1d10 minutes, no save. (in which case the counter is, be level N before going into the fight). Use karma prayer beads for maximum effect. (this is easily preventable in ToEE though, with its profusion of Rings of Freedom of Movement)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. Ciriella

Ciriella Member

Just as an update: I managed to kill the guard in the end with aid of Dominate Person and getting him to follow me to an empty area.

However - I had before that, on several occasions, killed him instantly even before he got to act (via Phantasmal Killer), far away from prying eyes (the one across the bridge near the old temple of Pelor, where there are no pesky commoners around). Every single time I returned into the city proper, everyone on the map would attack me.

Is that intended? I double and triple checked for people nearby, and tried several locations, all with the same result. It seems, to me, that Dominate being the only solution is a little unfair.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I have never had the city attack me, but then I get either a main line fighter with lots of attacks or a rogue with sneak attack and way lay the buggering buffoon. :)

Not sure what happened with you, unless you did it during the day and somehow someone had a line of sight to your attack. I do mine at night to assist with the quick kill.

10. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

I killed the guard where no one was around and used the Map to return to the starting point of Verbobonc where I was duly attacked by guards.

I tried it again but after killing the guard I walked back and avoided all NPC's until I could report back and complete the task. That seemed to work for me, I'm not sure if that is how it is intended.

11. Ciriella

Ciriella Member

Nah, I made sure to wait till around 1am before attempting any assassination... it wouldn't occur to me to try this kind of thing during the day :)

I had also have my barbarian take the kill to see if that made any difference (which it didn't). The only other thing that comes to mind is perhaps the NPCs in the group might trigger the auto-attack - there was a weird thing in the temple with them as well, where even after doing temple quests I'd still be attacked unless they wore the robes, so perhaps they sneakily called the guard?

Anyway, I guess it's not terribly important since I got it to work and (once I report the success anyway) I can progress being a horrible person who slaughters innocent guards. I was just curious about other people's experiences with this quest.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Ok, having NPC's might have a part to play then with your happenings. As I never bother to keep any of them around, preferring just to use my own party. Glad you have your work around and can now go after the rest of the missions. I usually come back to Verbobanc at the end of the last mission, and just waste Daria and gang. If I gotta be evil, might as well kill off the weaker manipulators who have tried to play me from the start. :D

13. Pheznik

Pheznik Member

I guess i'm a TOTAL noob but i can't seem to find how to open up verbo. >.<

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Have you gotten the other new content? Have you explored some of the temple? You have to have discovered the factions in the temple, then ask Smyth for something different.

15. wyvernspur

wyvernspur Member

A little help, please.

I can't find, or get to Verbobonc.

I got all the new content so far and just finished the Moathouse Respawn. After thar, I asked Brother Smyth for something diferent, and he told me of Verbobonc, and said he would mark it on my map.

However, after the conversation ends, it is not marked on my map, and it doesn't show in the list on the right of it. I tried reloading, but it just happened again in the same way.

What's happening?

Thanks for your help.

Our Host!