Co8 New Content: Verbobonc

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. lord_crapalot

lord_crapalot Member

Is it possible to have a dialog with Senshock at the bazaar as a good aligned party without it ending in a bloodbath?

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I was able to get him to trade with me with a good party, but I do not recall if it was because of high people kills or just choosing the right way to talk to him.

3. lord_crapalot

lord_crapalot Member

Sadly I only had the choice of attacking him right away or initiating a dialog about burying the axe...in his head.

4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I think you need a high diplomacy skill score.

5. lord_crapalot

lord_crapalot Member

Tried cheating myself to an insane diplomacy skill level and sadly no dice, cant bluff or intimidate my way out of a fight with him.
    Might be somekind of dialog bug where I cant select other dialog options. But I cant be sure about that as I dont know what it takes to trade with him.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Paladins have no choice and auto-fight. Everybody else gets the option.

7. lord_crapalot

lord_crapalot Member

Dont have any paladins in my party, only a CG cleric which might fit that description. Might it think I have a paladin?

8. Gaear

It looks like a code bug (that works sometimes anyway).

Download the attached file and unzip it to ToEE/data/dlg.

Attached Files:

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks Gaear and all you other modders for these fixes. I myself have not needed to use them, but is cool that they are available for those that do. :thumbsup: :largeclap

10. lord_crapalot

lord_crapalot Member

Great, thanks for the help gaear, cezmail and gen. ghoul. :D

11. Elethiomel

Elethiomel Member

I must say I really appreciate all the work that's been put into all this new content. However, regarding the slavers:
    I think killing a party member without recourse (saving throw, to-hit roll, etc.) during a no-choice conversation is poor design.

I know these are supposed to be bad-ass NPCs and everything, but the lack of scenes like this is what made me like ToEE in the first place. A CRPG that tries to emulate a pen-and-paper roleplaying game should offer choice, not conversations that are cutscenes in disguise. This isn't Final Fantasy.

In addition it doesn't conform to DnD design philosophy. All spells and abilities in the system can be defended against or countered. The only exceptions are powers exhibited by deities. In essence, this encounter is cheating.

I think it is poor design and the module would be better without that element. The slavers are dangerous enough on their own; it is already an uneven fight that must be won with clever tactics (or cheating, but as I think is clear I dislike cheating on either side). The unavoidable death is just a kick in the nuts.

12. Gaear

Thanks for the feedback.

That's exactly what I wanted it to be. :mrhappy:

For the record, in the next release there will be an 'out' for players who don't want to go that route.

13. LedZerggelin

LedZerggelin Member

Guntur Gladstone

Every time I talk to Guntur Gladstone the game crashes. It doesnt matter what responses I give. I didnt see anywhere if this was a known issue. Everything else works flawlessly with 5.9.2 NC

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  14. Ciriella

Ciriella Member

I'm really enjoying Verbobonc so far, and the rest of the modpack.

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this one though: I can't seem to get the second part of the assassin quest to work without getting the entire city turn hostile on me (killing that guard). Am I missing something obvious here/some spot where I can kill them with impunity, or is that the intended result?

15. vectner

vectner Member

To kill the guard you must be discreet. Make sure no other NPC's are close by

Our Host!