Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I am personally ok with how things are now, but I am sure there are others who would appreciate things being hidden.

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Well its easy to tell on armor, since you can look at a regular version and compare what your AC is with the unidentified version is. Even easier with shields. Large shield gives +2 AC, Hedrack's gives +5, thus you know its a +3 shield. Now you may not know if it gives you any other effects.

3. wasbear

wasbear Member

So, do you guys have an idea of when 6.9.3 will be done?

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I think it shouldn't. Otherwise Identify is pretty much useless.

I would even love to see the game either refusing to let you use unidentified items or not let you use the bonuses that come with them, but that's probably harder to do.

5. General Ghoul

Didn't Icewind Dale do that (no bonuses until identified)?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's coming along, albeit slowly. I'm thinking of wrapping up what I'm currently working on (the new Wilfrick assassination!) and then putting out what we've got, but that would mean no Pelor stuff and a few other things. If we do that it could be just a matter of a couple days.

7. vectner

vectner Member

I'm kind of looking forward to the Pelor Stuff. I'd be willing to wait another week or so for that.

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

For what it may matter, I also would be willing to wait till everything that can be added in 5.93 is. :) Thanks for keeping us informed Gaear.

9. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I can't speak to this directly. But Icewind Dale 2 doesn't, and I'm pretty sure BG2 doesn't, either. You could equip unidentified items and their passive bonuses (and maluses), at least, would work. So it seems unlikely that IWD1 would work differently. Of course, those two are newer.

I'm comfortable with magic items working that way. I'd probably expect you to be unable to activate magic items (to cast spells, say) without identifying them, though. And that's the way ToEE works, no?

As for description text, I'd probably say that they shouldn't be called +N when unidentified. But given how easy it is to determine that via metagaming, I wouldn't suggest you bother changing things if you at all mind the work.

10. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

When I fought the Hezrou Guardian, the Hezrou Guardian summoned a Hezrou. The first time that I fought the Balor Guardian, he summoned a Glabrezu in the first round of the combat. The second time that I fought the Balor Guardian, he summoned a Balor in the first round of the combat. The following quote is from the release notes:
    I have tested both spells and they do the following in this computer game:

Enlarge Person
    -1 Size Adjustment to Attack
    -1 Size Adjustment to AC

Righteous Might
    Primary +1
    +1 (or +2?) AC
    -1 Size Adjustment to Attack
    DR (6/Holy) (my good cleric was level 12 when he cast Righteous Might)

Originally posted by Ausdoerrt:
    I agree completely with Ausdoerrt about this.

If the player's party leader (i.e. the PC in the left-most portrait slot) is invisible, then Kenan-Be'thuel does not initiate dialogue with the player's party. This allows the player to cheat by having the party leader invisible, then moving all of the player's characters to the most advantageous positions around the slavers, then casting spells at the player's leisure, and then finally making the party leader visible to initiate dialogue with the slavers.

There is an EXTREMELY annoying bug where if a character has Readied vs Approach, then sometimes that character can't attack after interrupting an enemy's action of approaching that character, thus rendering that character's action for that round a complete waste!

The D&D 3.5 SRD states:
    When the Heavy Mace is wielded without a shield or weapon in the off-hand, the Heavy Mace is doing 1x (Strength Bonus) damage. The Heavy Mace is supposed to do 1.5x (Strength Bonus) damage when "wielded 2-handed" because it isn't a light weapon and it is the same size category as a human (i.e. they are both medium-sized). I wonder whether the game is not doing 1.5x (Strength Bonus) damage for every other 1-handed (non-light) weapon that is wielded "2-handed".

There is a bug where if the player selects the Full Attack option for a character and then cancels that action by right-clicking, that character loses their action for that round other than being able to either take a 5-foot step or reselect the Full Attack option.

The first time that I killed the Balor Guardian, the game crashed to desktop the instant that I killed the Balor Guardian. The game was fine the second time that I killed the Balor Guardian.

My computer kept locking up in the Fire Node. The only way that I was able to clear out the Fire Node, Air Node and Water Node was to reduce all of the game's graphical settings to the minimum and setting the screen resolution to 800x600x16. On my computer, the game ran lightning fast in the Fire Node while I played the game with 800x600x16 resolution/colour bit depth!

I am EXTREMELY impressed with the Verbobonc 2.0 mod! The cutscene of the profiles of the slavers is awesome! The encounter with the slavers is epic! It is a challenging combat because of the time limit to kill Tarah-ka-Turah before she starts murdering the children.

When the player's characters attack an opponent under the effect of the Mirror Image spell, the attacker always makes a Mirror Image check. But even when they successfully make their Mirror Image check, they keep hitting a Mirror Image instead of the opponent.

In the Gnome Living Quarters, the Staff of Frost and the Staff of Fire are already identified when the player loots them from the Drow Wizards' corpses.

In the Gnome Living Quarters, the Drow Fighter and the Drow Cleric have the same portrait, and the Drow Rogue and the Drow Wizard have the same portrait. Will you please give these monsters different portraits?

In Verbobonc, Maurice (Banker) has a typo in one of his dialogue options (see screenshot below):
    "Unfortunately the prior owners defaulted on their mortagage"

Wilfrick states the following in one of his dialogues (see screenshot below):
    "It has been some time since any raids have been carried out in organized fashion, but some men, given the profitability of the venture, will risk most anything to supply these demands."
    I think that it would be more grammatically correct if the word "almost" was used instead of "most" (or, alternatively, if "most things" was used instead of "most anything" (i.e. "will risk most things to supply these demands.").

Wilfrick has a grammatically incorrect dialogue (see screenshot below):
    "The report from the Mol village elders indicated that the slavers had departed the village in an southeasterly direction".
    It should be "in a southeasterly direction".

You have the Viscount's advisor named "Lerrick" when you actually see him and talk to him, but you've referred to him as "Lerrik" in quite a few dialogue options in the game. Which is the correct spelling of this character's name?

Wilfrick has a dialogue where he refers to his advisor as "Lerrik" (see screenshot below):
    "So the gnomes were telling the truth after all, and it was Lerrik who lied to me."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  11. gazra_1971

Prince Zook IV (Gnome Prince) has a dialogue where he refers to the Viscount's advisor as "Lerrik" (see screenshot below):
    "I blame that Lerrik. He's always poisoning the Viscount's mind against me. He says gnomes have "inventive imaginations." I can't stand it. Lerrik twists Wilfrick's mind to suit his own purposes, but Wilfrick doesn't believe me when I tell him what Lerrik is doing."

One of Kenan-Be'thuel's dialogues is grammatically incorrect (see screenshot below):
    "[He falters as the woman stares at him in expressionless, authoritive silence.]"
    It should be "authoritative".

Tarah-ka-Turah has 2 typoes in one of her dialogues (see screeenshot below):
    "And Abaddon, weakling imbecile that you are, living the presposterous lie of delusuional righteousness amongst thugs and criminals."

Abaddon has a typo in one of his dialogues (see screeenshot below):
    "I have scarificed much for my faith during our endeavors, Tarah, always to be bitterly disappointed."

One of Sharar-be-L'ial's dialogues is grammatically incorrect (see screenshot below):
    "This area tends to be avoided by travelers."
    It should be "travellers".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  12. gazra_1971

There is a bug where the Headband of Intellect +6 reduces the wearer's Dexterity bonus to AC (see screenshot below).

It's possible to select "Light Pick" and "Hand Crossbow" when choosing Weapon Focus for a weapon (see screenshots below). These 2 weapons should be removed from the Weapon Focus list because it is not possible to use either of these 2 weapons in the game. Also, the Spiked Chain weapon is incorrectly called "Spike Chain" in the list of weapons when selecting Weapon Focus with a weapon. One of the weapons that you can select Weapon Focus for is "Punching Dagger" but there are no punching daggers in this computer game.

There appears to be a bug in the game where the player's characters make 2 checks or saving throws for some things (when those characters should only get one check or saving throw). (see next paragraph for an example).

When my wizard attempted a Concentration check in order to cast defensively while fighting the 6 Noble Salamanders guarding the chest in the Fire Node, my wizard had to make 2 Concentration checks, and the second Concentration check had a DC of 73! (see screenshot below). WTF?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  13. gazra_1971

Necroticpus reported that there is a bug where a spellcaster who crafts a masterwork weapon into a +3 Holy Flaming Burst Icy Burst Shocking Burst weapon actually gains XP and money instead of losing them. See screenshots below for this bug in action.

In the Gnome Living Quarters, when I reduced a Drow Fighter to -7 HP, the Drow Fighter was disabled (see screenshot below).

During combat, when I access the radial menu for the currently active character, sometimes another character's radial menu is displayed instead of the currently active character's radial menu (see screenshot below).

When I play the game for a very long session, the game tends to become corrupted (i.e. 0s start appearing throughout the text in the Rolls History during combat (see screenshot below), and the game mechanics start breaking the rules. However, after rebooting my computer, all of the game corruption goes away (at least until I play the game for another very long session).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  14. Skillhunter

Skillhunter Member

Hello Community!

Yesterday I've downloaded the 5.9.2 NC Beta Version and I tried it quickly. ;)

In the explain thread I read, the Verbobonc 2.0 feature is in it, and I'm looking forward to test it.
    I already rescued the girls from the first floor in the temple. But there was no dialog option to excort them to Verbobonc.
    So I tried to talk to the merchants at the second floor, where the elven prisoners are, too. But didn't have any luck.
    In the last version with the Verbobonc feature I could use these options. But it isn't in the latest version.
    Can you tell me, how I get to Verbobonc?
    Thank you!

And great work!

Greetings

15. General Ghoul

Talk to the smith for all of the new content. Ask for something different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!