Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Should Entangle work indoors?

Per the spell's description, it relies on surrounding plants to entangle foes. There aren't many indoors, e.g. the Moathouse dungeon, the ToEE, etc, So it shouldn't really work there. Thus, it should be made to fizzle in those locations. Am I wrong?

(Yes, I know it sucks to lose a cheese tactic, but be honest now :) )

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

3. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I may have found another bug:

10) There are six movies that you can download from this board that are short intros for when you enter a location. 5 of them fire off as they should but I have not seen the Nodes_Entrance.bik play and I have gone all the way through the game. At what point should this one play? When one of the nodes is entered? If so, does it matter which node is entered?

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Now that's interesting. I'd like to see some new movies.

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi S.A.
    I think I read the rules the same way you do, which means that the only "interior" location where entangle "might" work is the upper level of the moathouse. Everything else is too "plant-free" in my opinion for Entangle to work. I will leave it to the excellent code-crafters at Co8 to decide whether or not they want to put this into effect. It will certainly add more challenge to the game.
    The Royal Canadian

6. Necroticpus

+3 AC = Bonus squared x 2,000 gp = 54,000
    +16 spell resistance = 10,000 gp per point over SR 12; SR 13 minimum = 40,000
    +5 elemental resistance/fire = ? no category for spell DR
    +5 elemental resistance/cold = ? no category for spell DR
    +5 elemental resistance/electricity = ? no category for spell DR

The AC and spell resistance figures are correct but I'm not sure how to go about getting elemental resistance DR, so it's going to be 94,000 GP + those numbers. It seems that elemental resistance would be different than spell resistance. Either way though, it's more than 4 SP. :yes:

*edit*
    I was thinking maybe this...

Use-activated or continuous Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp2

The problem with this is that I cannot find the correct spell that only adds 5 DR. I found resist energy and protection from energy but those protect way more than 5 DR per type.

I would perhaps say to use resist energy. It's the closest. It's a 2nd level spell. So, 2 X Senshock's level (14) X 2,000 GP per different resistance. 56,000 + 56,000 + 56,000 = 168,000 + 94,000 = 262,000.

It costs less to make a Robe of arch mage in the game but that one doesn't have elemental resistance DR x3.

Resist Energy

Abjuration
    Level: Clr 2, Drd 2, Fire 3, Pal 2, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 2 Components: V, S, DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Touch Target: Creature touched Duration: 10 min./level Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless) Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This abjuration grants a creature limited protection from damage of whichever one of five energy types you select: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. The subject gains energy resistance 10 against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced by 10 points before being applied to the creature’s hit points. The value of the energy resistance granted increases to 20 points at 7th level and to a maximum of 30 points at 11th level. The spell protects the recipient’s equipment as well.

Resist energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects.

Note: Resist energy overlaps (and does not stack with) protection from energy. If a character is warded by protection from energy and resist energy, the protection spell absorbs damage until its power is exhausted.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I used to loathe having druids and bards in my party. But, after mucking around with them, I now think that they are 2 of the most fun classes to have in a party! The bard's musical enchantments have the best graphical effects in the game! And a level 1 druid can have a jackal that has 43 HP! POWER! The animations for the (animal companion) wolves and jackals look so brilliant! Ye Gods, can jackals move across the map at an insanely fast pace! While elves dawdle across the map, the slow coaches.

The sound anomaly that I have heard near the Church of St. Cuthbert is not the same sound as any of a bard's musical performances that I have heard.

I have experienced the following while playing 5.9.2 NC:

It's possible to kill the following monsters using bows and/or crossbows without the monsters being able to fight back:
    Hickory Branch: Dire Bear, Dire Boar, 2 Giant Snakes.
    Moathouse: Lubash (ogre in dungeon).

I wish that the situation with all of the monsters in the game that can be killed with bows and/or crossbows without being able to fight back was changed so that the monsters could fight back because it is boring and tedious and unchallenging and unfair to kill these monsters without fear of retaliation.

One thing that I wish could be eliminated from the game is all of the dialogue options that the player has to select before the player can browse a vendor's wares. I wish that when you clicked on a vendor, the first and top dialogue otion would always be "Show me your wares." With Armario in particular, you have to click on 3 different dialogue options before you can browse his wares. Tedious.

At Hickory Branch, after Lord Krunch's dialogue and vanishing act, when I fought the orcs and ogre behind where Lord Krunch was, the Cave Blockage was a participant in the combat (see screenshot below). The only way that I could end the combat with the orcs and ogre was to kill the Cave Blockage.
    Also, my characters were able to critically hit the Cave Blockage repeatedly (see screenshot below). The Cave Blockage is supposed to be immune to critical hits because it has no vital organs.

I don't know if this has been reported or fixed already, but when you hold down the Tab key, a blue dot appears near the guestbook in the Waterside Hostel in Nulb (see screenshot below).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  8. Necroticpus

Weird. I was at the deklo grove. My rogue went under to -6. After the fight, my cleric of heironomous (sp?) cast cure light wounds on him which brought him up to -3, but as soon as I casted it, a debuff appeared on him for paralyzed. What's up with that? We fought skeletons and they don't paralyze.

9. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I'm afraid that I'm going to say that I disagree with this. There is nothing that says that you have to stand back and shoot. There are also a lot more creatures than just the ones listed here that can be killed with ranged weapons that never get a chance to fight back. Recoding all of it would take a lot of time that could be spent on other things - especially since this is not as much broken but a choice that players make. The game is what you make it after all. I always charge in and take out Lubash hand-to-hand as it is more fun.

Now this is something that I agree with and want to second the idea.

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

He was still in the negatives, so when it became his turn, he couldn't move.

11. Necroticpus

It stayed on him for a while after he was up until we went back to the inn to rest.

12. Necroticpus

I saw something that I think might possibly be the cause of the jerkstop problem. There's 2 ripple effects right below the signpost in Hommlet, in the dirt ground. I've never seen any dirt anywhere that had ripples in it as if it were water. Kinda weird, dude.

Attached Files:

13. Gaear

The Nodes movie was originally supposed to play when you first entered temple level 4. I think I scratched that some time ago though because it was cludgy - you weren't actually entering a node. But there was no other way to get the movie to play only once ... if you set it to play upon entering any of the 4 nodes, it would play the first time you entered each node.

Those movies are all kind of outdated now, incidentally. Some of them use artwork from outside sources, which is a no-no according to our current ethos. There may come a time when they are redone (with custom pictures by HK or somebody), and they might even become automatic (in NC) due to size concerns being less of an issue all the time and compression routines for Bink video improving.

Hm, do you mean if you take pot shots at them from afar, overtop a blocked area? I don't really have a problem with that. :shrug: Lubash was already discussed.

This might not be as easy to do as you think. A lot of times, those intervals are called in order to get you to the right point where it would be appropriate for a merchant to deal with you. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it would probably require significant dialog and script reorganization.

The blockage can get pulled into combat at times, yes. You have to attack it sooner or later in order to destroy it, whether that be with all the others or alone. I'm not worried about crits - that's a rulesy concern that really has no practical impact.

I'm sure that's yet another DON NOT USE bullet.

Weird, there are no ripples or any other kinds of lighting effects there.

Re: Senshock's Robes, I think that +3 AC is actually armor bonus (enhancement), which is 3 squared x 1000 = 9000.

The energy resistance is save bonus (resistance), which is 5 squared x 1000 = 25000 each. Regardless, the Robes are not going to sell for 262,000 gold. ;)

I like the idea of Entangle being limited to outdoor maps. :thumbsup:

14. Gaear

Can somebody tell me if you're properly getting the area description boxes in 5.9.2 (shopmap, etc.)?

15. Necroticpus

I am.

Also, another instance of ripplies at the inn, at night. Random ripple generator!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!