Steel shield vs Wooden shield

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Corethian, Oct 6, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Corethian

Corethian Member

Is there any adventages using steel shield than wooden shield?

I think that steel one is more heavy, more expensive, so this one is better than wooden. but is it true? I cannot sure about this.
    Shocking grasp? Steel one is vulverable against this spell. What about lightning magics?
    And then, what's the weakness of wooden one? I can't find this.

+AC, armor check penalty, spell failure chance is just same. What's the benefits of steel shield?

p.s) What about options like 'Spiked', is it works?

Anyone who knows about shield mechanism(I mentioned and something else), please let me know.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

The only mechanical differences are the lighter weights of the wooden shields and that druids can use wooden shields but not metal shields. As for special materials for shields, the main difference between darkwood and mithril is that mithril has a lower spell failure chance and armor check penalty, but they're both considered to be masterwork. That should be it. I've never actually tried spells like warp wood in the game, so I can't speak on that. Otherwise they protect the same.

3. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

Also spiked shields are not a combat option in ToEE, don't know about KotB.

4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Wooden shields are vulnerable to Warp Wood and metal shields are vulnerable to Heat Metal, although why anyone would use either spell is beyond me.

The spiked shields are considered masterwork, so you can enchant them.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

There's no "shield bash" in the game, so I think it doesn't make a difference.

IMO the wooden is better until you get to things like Tower Shield that they don't make out of wood.

But I think it's all mostly cosmetic in TOEE. Sure, it's vulnerable against some spells but few enemies use those in TOEE if at all.

6. Corethian

Corethian Member

Thank you so much, it's very helpful.^^

and, Sorry, EXCUSE ME. Please help me.

In Front-End X option, there are 'Max HP for NPCs(from Level, HD)' options. Do you know what's the difference between 'from levels', and 'from HD'. And can I check both fo them?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Max HD would be for monsters with no characters levels and Max HP would be for anyone else that has character levels. That is a basic explanation. If someone else wants to neaten it up or go further, please do.

Yes you can check both of them to increase the opposition.

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Also certain monsters, like orcs and bugbears will have both monster HDs and character levels, if you check both beware those Temple bugbears will have 152 HPs.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Yeap, those are some really nasty buggers. As well as those Orge chieftains and shamans.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I thought there were wooden tower shields somehere?

'Warp Wood' and 'Heat Metal' are great spells - but then, I think from the monsters' perspective. I like modding them and thinking, "maybe thats a +3 bow they're warping!"

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Amario makes a wooden tower shield once he has his masterwork inventory up. But it is only normal, not masterwork, so you can not enhance it. Any chance that a masterwork one could be added in the future?

12. Corethian

Corethian Member

Wow, I solve my problems with your helps. Really appreciated.^^
    I don't know monsters have their own level. In rule book, I cannot find their level, so I can't understand it. I'll check it again.

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

In the Pen and Paper rules any intelligent creature could have character levels, so some could combine levels with their own HD. This may not be stated in the game rulebook.

Our Host!