Co8 New Content: Moathouse Respawn

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I had a similar thing happen like that, though mine was in the bugbear/bodak room. Just how the mobs are set up I guess.Plus how they trigger.

Unless you might want to rationalize it that the snake had swallowed the were's and the wolf and when it dies they were spit up all pissed and ready for action. :)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I guess we should build in some kind of delay ... I didn't anticipate that players would go all the way through getting the MR NC without actually 'cleaning' the Moathouse so often , lol.

Ted's original scripting called for all these critters to be gone before the MR would activate. I think the rationale was that the witch and co. would only move into empty digs.

3. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

Just a little nitpicking here.
    When talking to witch #2 after defeating the drow, it's possible to shake her down for a magic item, which she gives you a choice between a ring, an amulet, a weapon, a scroll, and a gem. The weapon is weak, probably could be improved. The ring is almost as weak. The scroll is good. The gem is good. The amulet I think is the best, including possibly better than the ring of resonance depending on what kind of game one is playing. But here's the nitpick. The dialogue for gift choices says something about "Another kind of ring" for the ring choice, but it's impossible to get both the dialogue for the ring of resonance and the gift choices, so one wouldn't know about the other ring either way.
    This had puzzled me for a while because I always ended up being given the choice of items, never realizing she'd offer such a cool other item the other way. Now the "Another kind of ring" makes sense. No biggie in the grand scheme of TOEE things, but I thought I'd mention it.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Well, maybe we should change it?

My opinion:

1. The MR is now a manually triggered affair, unlike its original incarnation, and is furthermore exclusive to the NC version. This IMO gives one more freedom to "run over" vanilla content.
    2. When the MR takes place, the original critters will pretty much be pushovers anyway.
    3. The story revolves around a witch seeking retribution, using the Moathouse as a staging point.
      It doesn't seem as though she'd be very considerate of the original denizens. (given how she goes KOS on you, and her sister's commentary on her character...)
    4. The Witch is obviously far more powerful than the original denizens, so it wouldn't be a problem for her to kill them.
    5. The original critters ultimately served the same master as the Drow who kidnapped her sister - Lolth.
    6. For the Witch's group specifically, it would be weird to have the other groups spawn while their creator is absent.
    7. Thus, it seems sensible to me for the original critters to just be destroyed and replaced by the new critters when the MR takes place.
    8. The sole exception being the Skeleton Gnolls, who are supposedly the original Gnolls, reanimated. In their case, the condition should be that they didn't run off.

What do you think? Ted? Guys?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. Gaear

Or, since the originals are weaker and presumably ripe to be shanghaied, why not add them to her service if they're still around? This would be as easy as simply giving the MR gang the same faction as Lareth's people.

I think the courtyard undead are supposed to be the reanimated bandits too.

6. Gaear

Okay, in the meantime I have just lowered the counter so that it's extremely likely that the variable will be met once you've fought Lareth's guys. (I still didn't have any trouble getting it to count everybody, incidentally.) This will have very little apparent effect in-game besides ensuring that the MR fires, because players who fight Lareth's gang pretty much kill them all anyway, I'm sure. The only somewhat more likely disturbance might be with Lubash, but that's alright.

I also changed the scripts so the MR guys don't appear the moment conditions are met, but instead after a map change. That might still seem alarmingly fast for moving in, but at least it's not instant, and it won't be felt by the majority of players who actually clear the Moathouse fully anyway.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Sounds good to me Gaear and again I will state how much I appreciate all the work you and the other modders are continuously doing to tweak and improve the game and mods.

THANK YOU KIND SIRS!

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The witches cohorts in Lareth's room are meant to be his dead minions reanimated too. Of course, she wcould have killed them herself if still alive, but I certainly didn't want any friednly-fire-style situation of them all being there at the same time.

I like to think the gnolls takes the run-off into account. I hope so.

Otherwise, anyone who can do a good job at it may certainly rework the MR with my blessing. Just keep the lycanthropes, thats all I ask.

9. Gaear

It does ... the skelton gnolls only appear if the regular gnolls die.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The old version was a risky, life-threatning experience. The drow wizard cast fireball on the party and it was downhill from there. You had to fight the drow leader who had the Blade of Fury and the others. Great loot and the S&W.50cal to boot. Of course you probably lose a couple in the process, but that's when the scrolls of raise dead and the console comes in handy.
    Fruella carried the Blade of Fury to endgame. Quite a weapon.

11. Volund

Volund Member

I've not been able to get the Moathouse Respawn in 5.9.2.
    I've completed Welkwood Bog, Hickory Branch, and the Arena of Heroes.
    I've done some of the quests in Nulb.
    I've explored all of the first Temple level, most of the second, and part of the third, including eliminating the Earth, Fire, and Air temple staff.
    game.global_vars[756] returns 16.
    Brother Smyth mentioned that Kentor Nevits had some superstitions about something, but all Kentor wants to talk about is Kobort and Turuko - but I've already had the Ambush encounter, so they're dead.
    ?

Is there something that I can do to force the MR to trigger?

12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

You need to talk to Kent, the little boy on the south road in Homlett.

13. vectner

vectner Member

I made that same mistake and had to go back and re-read my exchange from Brother Smyth. And why would little Kent have that info and no one else???

14. Gaear

I take it you didn't re-read very closely either. :p

15. Volund

Volund Member

D'oh!
    Thanks Guys!

Our Host!