Newbie here!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Airship, Sep 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Airship

Airship Member

aha, that's very helpful, thanks! :D

In other news, Hommlet has started acting strange on me - I tell my party to go somewhere and they stop midway, or after a few seconds of walking. I sure hope this won't happen elsewhere... Does anyone have the same problem? Is there a fix?

Also, just spent around half an hour or more (not sure) crafting weapons and armor for my party, then visiting Fong to see if he had any armor I could buy for Meleny.

Game crash. Siiiigh.

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Not sure what may have happened, but when the game starts acting stop motion and all, best to save and then quit entirely. Then restart the game and load. Usually clears things up for me.

I think this is in the FAQ's, but save often, and in different points, so as to avoid the loss of time, sweat, and headaches. :) Hope Meleny is working out well for your group.

As for the other adventurer group, they are just begging for a beat down. :) or charm them and have them be your thralls and tripping all the traps and being targets for the really heavy hitters in the temple.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

First part is jerkstop, Geaer would want to know.

Secondly, when you crafted those weapons, did you shorten their names? Or did you keep Masterwork longsword +1 +2 Shocking burst? Those long names will crash your game, you can rename them anything you like, go shorter the better: LS +2 SB. You know what it is.

4. Airship

Airship Member

Gave them generic names, seeing as I didn't have much exp to use at the moment, I just +3'd a few of them. Besides that, I was already done crafting when it crashed, the game crashed when I tried talking to Fong :p

Jerkstop, huh? Seems like there's no fix ... Hope I don't have to restart :(

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Airship
    Allow me to answer your questions as best as I can.
    The Royal Canadian

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I wouldn't recommend Manyshot. For me the problem with Manyshot is that all your arrows are shot at the same target. If you are able to shoot 3 arrows per round , and your first arrow kills the monster, your other two arrows are wasted. based on what you posted earlier (your Rogue having a 28 DEX) the feat I would recommend would be Weapon Focus Longbow (assuming your Rogue is using a Longbow). The best way to use "Rapid Shot" is to select "Full Attack" from the Radial Menu. When you do this, you will see the pointer change to an small arrow with "2/2" underneath it. Click on your target and your Rogue will fire one arrow at it. If the first arrow kills the target, you can then right click on a second target and select "Full Attack" and shoot it with your Rogues second arrow attack of the round.
    The Royal Canadian

7. Airship

Airship Member

Thank you RC, quite helpful :)

Unfortunately, i already chose Improved initiative as the ninth level feat, but I will be taking weapon focus for the next feat, then.

The jerkstop has now made Hommlet almost unusable for me now. It's bad around the Inn and Blacksmith and gets progressively worse as I go further south, but it seems like the entire village is affected. One interesting thing I have noticed is that Elmo seem to be affected as well. He's not in my party, but I can see his drunken walking animation is starting and stopping rapidly as he tries to go south to his home...

Anyway, it's not like there's much left in Hommlet for me to go there... I'm worried if this will happen anywhere else though. Has anyone here gotten the bug in Nulb? Also, I seem to be plagued by CTD's in Nulb atm... Am I cursed? :D

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

On the jerkstop, I was getting these in previous versions, so I don't know for sure if it was confined to them, but I was not looting as much as I do now, so all standard, non random, maps would have stuff lying around all the time, stuff I couldn't sell or wasn't worth much. Now I pick up everything to sell and drop the worthless stuff-clubs and slings, on random maps to be thrown into oblivion. I felt like the game had to work extra hard to keep track of all this extra stuff, now it doesn't have to.

Also, do you use the signpost to move around town? In 5.8 the jerkstop would let up if I went from in front of the inn to the northern temple via the sign then back via the world map-worth a try at least.

9. Airship

Airship Member

sadly, this didn't help much. I did, however, find that Hommlet is entirely bug-free until I reach the area around the inn and the blacksmith. Odd.

Hommlet itself is as clean as can be, but I've left a few tonnes (probably literary) of junk around the moathouse and Temple maps... Would this have an effect? If so, why is the jerkstop only happening in Hommlet? :x

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

When a character employs his/her use magic device skill he is in fact attempting to be that class.

When a character attempts use a wand of magic missiles, he is acting like he is a wizard.
    When a character attempts to don a monks robe, he is acting like a monk.
    When a character attempts to don a wizard's robe, he is acting like a wizard.

UMD is the character "role-playing" something other than he is, this is why it's CHARISMA based.

The SRD puts it this way:

You can use this skill to read a spell or to activate a magic item. Use Magic Device lets you use a magic item as if you had the spell ability or class features of another class, as if you were a different race, or as if you were of a different alignment.

Our Host!