Ranger Inventory still screwed up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nitewolf, Apr 23, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Once, long ago, there was a problem with the ranger's starting inventory. This was, I thought, fixed. Yesterday, I made a new party with the first ranger I have ever, I think, used. As soon as I tried to go into the character Inventory, I had a CTD.

So, I started a party WITHOUT the ranger, got to homlet, and went to the book in the inn, added the ranger, tried to go into inventory, and CTD.

In a previous party, I gave a level of ranger to a druid, and had no problems.

Now, I know I have a correct start_equipment file, but to verify, I took a clean one out of Liv's mod .rar and inserted it. had the same problems

I have ToEE installed with Offical Patch 2, Co8 3.0.4, moebus temple.dll, and then Liv's mod 1. Any suggestions/idead/comments?

Discuss among yourselves....

The 'Wolf

2. Sindegra

Sindegra Member

Well...

How about fixing it yourself? It's easy to fix. Open discription.mes and see what items you want the ranger to have and then put em in equipment.mes :D

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I have rangers in my party more often than not and have never had the problem you described. Plus, if you add a new PC at the Inn, they have no equipment, so I'm not sure how their starting equipment would be causing a crash in that case.

Are you using any custom portraits? That was the cause of CTDs people were experiencing when accessing their inventory recently.

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I checked this out. It isn't because of the starting equipment.

I assume it is being caused by a portraits problem (as was suggested). But I can verify that it is NOT due to inventory.

- Livonya

5. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I thought it was wierd too...I will try it with Liv 1.5 and see how it goes. If it still dosen't work, well, I like my custom port's better than having a ranger. I can live without.

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

It's not that custom portraits and rangers are incompatible. I use custom portraits and rangers without problems. What's likely happening is the custom portrait you're using for your ranger is incompatible with ToEE, which causes a CTD whenever the inventory is accessed.

There's a thread or two dedicated to the problem and I know the cause of the problem was pinpointed, but I don't recall it off hand.

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well one big one that i found working through it was there is another layer of color on the portraits, including the greyscale ones, that my editor couldnt add. that caused mine to CTD. if you install some from a custom portrait pack and then look at the file after you add it to your folder you will probally see that thiers is a bit larger than yours, the extra kb being used by that extra layer of color.

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Rather than start a new thread on this, does anyone have a custom portrait pack to download (preferably one which doesn't cause CTDs.. ;p)?

I've tried a few that are mentioned on the atari forum, but they have all looked very bizarre when they actually appear in the game (eg the portraits will be off centre, or too large so all you see is a pair of eyes).

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thank you Lord Graywolfe. I'll finish this testing run before installing these downloads. I tried one or two of them before, but I must have got the wrong ones - I've downloaded every set now, so one should work hehe

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

np good luck and let us know how it goes

12. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

I haven't tested it yet but...

I think there is just one pic in my pack (uhm...) that is a problem. I will test it soon to see. It was one I added from a different pack than the rest...If that makes any sense...

13. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Yup, there was a bad pic in my pics. Problem solved!

14. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

awsome nitewolf. now you can enjoy your game :)

15. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

I am now...I didn't realise rangers were so cool...I gave mine the Great cleaver in main hand and a hand axe in the other (in anticipation of getting the other great cleaver). Total kick a** guy...

Our Host!