Oakheart's Observances

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oakheart, Oct 1, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

Why should Cezmail have all the fun? I keep adding stuff that is filling up the already full 5.9.X thread, and many of the issues I am encountering seem to transcend the current beta. As I have stated elsewhere I am soooo grateful to all the modders and I appreciate any and all comments on the feedback I post here. I will try not to repeat issues/feedback listed elsewhere, but I am sure I will miss some. If any of these are known issues, or issues that cannot be fixed (such as the halfling sling issue and healing domain issue stated elsewhere that were commented on) let me thank the powers that be in advance for commenting here. That said:

1) Spells:

- Remove Fear does not appear to be... removing fear
    - 10' Circle of Protection, outward, does not appear to be providing mind-effecting protection, just AC protection.
    - Spiritual Weapon cast by mobs appears to be indestructible by PC's.
    - Mobs killed under the influence of Holy Word continue to spam saving throws.
    - Undead appear to be getting racial immunity to the Entangle spell.

2) Equipment:
    - I cannot seem to find a way to use the quarterstaff as a double weapon, even when the PC has the relevant feats.
    - (As stated elsewhere) The buckler seems to be inappropriately reducing two-handed weapon strength bonus.
    - The gold and green plumed helm does not appear to be removing the hood of cloaks, both the helm and hood appear at the same time.

3) Questions:
    - Can you alter special weapons such as the Silver Sword of Chaos, Scather et. al. with item creation feats without losing their special properties?
    - Do the favored enemy bonuses of the ranger class of bluff and sense motive trigger when dialoguing with a mob of appropriate race?
    - Is Blindfight working properly?
    - Is Improved Turning working properly?
    - Is there a 'better' (higher damage/crit) LIGHT MARTIAL bludgeoning off-hand weapon other then the light hammer? (please let it be so...)

4) General Commentary:
    -(as stated elsewhere) The gnome deity Garl G. appears to have Travel instead of Trickery listed in his domains.
    - When a weapon is enchanted with multiple elemental damage (i.e. more then one of fire/frost/lightening) AND holy damage (I am aware this is sick, bordering on being an exploit even if it is by the rules) it appears that sometimes not all of this damage procs, or at least it is not recorded in the rolls tab. This might be due to a energy type immunity, I am not sure, I am still playtesting it.
    -The ranger abilities fast tracker and woodland stride should be replaced with things that have an actual effect in ToEE, such as nature sense (+2 to survival checks) or venom immunity. (I am sure there are other examples from other classes of this problem)
    -The paladin's detect evil ability does not appear to always work.
    - Mobs that are in the black that can target the PC's... can not seemed to be targeted in return (I am fairly sure there is nothing to be done about this, just saying).

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

If the game is working as RAW, the remove fear spell has to overcome the DC of the fear source. A 4th level cleric casting remove fear against a balor's fear is not going to overcome the balor's DC.

See above.

This is true.

Same with Holy Smite and Order's Wrath.

I don't understand this. A quarterstaff is a two handed weapon. Unless you are running the pre-generated PC, Giant, you cannot dual wield quarterstaves.

Yes. Not Scather or Fragarach though.

Gnome hooked hammer. Might not be martial but it is better.

Only the first 3 damage enchants affect stuff. (i.e. H/Sb/Ib/Fb = +2d6 from H, +1d6 from Sb and +1d6 from Ib. Fb is not used, UNLESS the target is not evil, in which case it would be +1d6 from Sb, +1d6 from Ib and +1d6 from Fb.)

They can be targeted with large area affect spells like fireball and cone of cold, any AoE spell that can reach them from the edge of the darkness.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  3. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

I am not wanting to dual-wield quarterstaves, my understanding is that a 'double-weapon' like a double-bladed axe makes use of the two-weapon feat, even though it is a 2h weapon. The advantage being you can do a full swing at 1.5 str, or a twin attack, at x1str and .5 str just like if you had a one handed and a light off handed weapon.

The quarterstaff CAN be a 2h weapon, OR a double-weapon, at least that is my understanding.

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well glad I could be the instigator of more mayhem here and you have come up with some cool questions Oakheart.

I think according to the spells description, only a dispel magic can get rid of a spiritual weapon.

Yeah I had this problem just this afternoon. Not sure what can be done about it.

I do not believe that the TOEE rules allow for this. They are treated just as a two handed weapon, and not a double weapon. That is a shame as it would be nice to get that in effect with just one crafted weapon and not two. Plus that would save you XP and money, yet is not to be.

Ah yes, my infamous discovery. Only way to do it is not use the buckler, which hurts your AC but does allow you to do more damege. Not the best trade off but such is what it is.

Not a martial weapon but the light mace works and some of the rods are considered light maces so you can use them to that full effect.

Others have already replied to some of the rest, so good luck and maybe you will find some things that I have yet to discover. Good luck my friend. :D

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Ack, you posted while I was trying to write at work. Hope my reply helps clear this up for you.

6. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

as for the quater staff the Monk class in toee rule book is clearly stated as treating a quaterstaff as 2 weapons for purposes of flurry of blows which to my mind means there is some mechs in place for treating the quater staff as a weap with two buiness ends

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Actually what I found from the SRD was that with staff and flurry of blows, it is not considered 2 weapons. I was wrong when I thought that you should get the 1.5 strength bonus when flurrying. Only your base bonus is used with flurry. You just get another attack, like Flurry when your just using your natural extremities is when you use anything-hands, feet, legs, ....

I truly wish the game had it in it to use double weapons with the underlying penalities, but as far as I know it has never been in the game.

For those unfamiliar with what bradrinwi and I are talking about, here is what the SRD has to say.

8. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

Continuing to test remove fear and circle of protection from evil 10'. I see no evidence that the 'overcoming the DC' of the fear/mind effecting spell is happening, there is no report of it in the rolls tab, and going back and repeating encounters are demonstrating no change... i.e. remove fear or circle 10' has not worked according to spec even once. FYI I have playtested this against the groaning spirit in the moathouse respawn, not the Balor encounter.

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Used to be like that for ALL SW until Co8 fixed it. It'd be great if they fixed this one too. It can still be "killed" by Dispel Magic.

10. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

The spells Gaseous Form and Vampiric Touch also appear to be bugged, is this a known issue?

11. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

greater bracers of archery also dont work

12. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    The reason Co8 "fixed" Spiritual Weapon so that monsters could actually "destroy" them was before the fix, monsters would either stand around by the SW doing nothing, or run around the SW doing nothing (other than getting chopped to pieces). According to d20 SRD, "A spiritual weapon cannot be attacked or harmed by physical attacks, but dispel magic, disintegrate, a sphere of annihilation, or a rod of cancellation affects it. A spiritual weapon’s AC against touch attacks is 12 (10 + size bonus for Tiny object)." http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm . Personally I don't have SW used against me that often, so I simply ignore it and take out the spellcasters.
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!