Newbie here!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Airship, Sep 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Airship

Airship Member

Finally completed the moathouse at lvl 6 (lol). I have decided to keep the Rogue as a rogue, and I have crafted +4 items for everyone (not full sets, just the most important attribute for each member, will get the rest later on).

Something really odd happened after i had killed Lareth, I recall nothing of the sort happening when i played the game back when i first got it, and it isn't explained in the faq on Gamefaqs.

When i exited the Moathouse I was assaulted by an army of gnolls and brigand archers, whom was led by none other than Turuko, Kobort and Zert, ranting about them not liking my type and whatnot.

At first i was like, wtf, then I threw some fireballs and cleaned their army up... Is this part of the mod? If so, I must say, very nice, totally took me by surprise :)

EDIT2: Nvm, that was a pretty silly question, easy enough to figure out on my own :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Yeah the Co8 added that ambush and I think it makes things all the more interesting. Glad you figuered it out.

Now I wonder if they could script it so it would still happen when you have Lareth in your group and see how the conversations would go from there. :)

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Gotta love that moat house ambush, especially if you're still in bad shape from the fight with Lolth's "pretty boy". *Noooooo not my faaaaccceeeeeee ...... * heh heh

btw, I always thought Burne's inventory changed according to my character's level, was I wrong?

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Not that I know of. I have seen Teleport and Cone of Cold available when my PCs were 1st level.

5. Airship

Airship Member

Well, Burne doesn't seem to change his inventory much with me, and I have visited him on and off for about three levels now :)

I have a new question btw. I just discovered the amaaaaaazing spell Greater Invisibility. Granted, it doesn't last very long, but it's a guaranteed hit, unlike Glitterdust, when I am trying to maximize the efficiency of my Rogue...

Anyway, while experimenting with this glorious new spell, I chanced upon the "full attack" option in the radial menu. I have used it before but never really given it much thought - Since I have Rapid Shot I get two shots on my Longbow Rogue, but she have this nasty habit of shooting the second arrow into the corpse the first one created, this was really annoying.

And then I found Full Attack. Am I just that noobish not to have noticed this earlier? Is there some obscure penalty for using this option to attack, since it gives you the right to choose your second target freely?

Is there ANY reason whatsoever in using the standard autoattack over this Full Attack when using a Rapidshot archer? Does it work in other ways? Also, are there other goodies I have missed on that radial menu? :p

EDIT: Damnit Cezmail, if you just would've looked at this thread a few minutes later! I need your wisdom nao! :p

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  6. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Each arrow using rapid shot receives a -2 to hit.

Full attack is mo betta because you can kill multiple targets in one round and higher levels.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Sorry I missed you on this Airship.

Full attack is a god send for taking out 2 or more foes. Full attack will us all the attacks on one opponent. Full attack allows you to split it up. I almost always set up a short cut for full attack for my snipers and higher level front line troops. I suggest using full attack to get the most out of your attackers.

Edit- got delayed at work, so Necro got in an answer before me. He does make the point of the -2, but I think it is well worth it. Also get Precise Attack and Far short for your snipers to get the best value and distance,

8. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

When the archer-rogue (I assume it is a rogue, works for any archer) gains 2 attacks per round, it will shoot 3 arrows per round with rapid shot. There is normally a -5 penalty for second attack. If you are showing +15 to hit on your character inventory page, it would break down like this:

with rapid shot - Attack#1 +13, Attack#2 +13, Attack#3 +8
    with rapid shot and haste - Attack#1 +14, Attack #2 +14, Attack #3 +14, Attack #4 +9
    without rapid shot - Attack #1 +15, Attack #2 +10

Rapid shot moves the -5 penalty for your second attack to your third attack, haste stacks this effect when cast in conjunction with rapid shot, it moves the second attack penalty to the fourth attack. Haste adds the fourth attack and the plus 1 to hit as well. The penalties for additional attacks are normally -5 for second, -10 for third, -15 for fourth, etc. Just tested this one to see for myself. The -2 penalty for using rapid shot effects every shot, no matter how many.

9. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Also, after looting all the archer orcs in Hickory Branch, I never have to worry about wasting arrows into dead bodies for the rest of the game.

10. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

So true, plus once you get the Delko Grove cleared out and get Amario to make masterwork stuff, he will have arrows at 350 a pop available as well. :)

11. Airship

Airship Member

Yup, just discovered this neat little feature, I thought my Cabinet Maker was bugged, but it turns out I had forgotten to tell him that the Deklo wood was on its way (Couldn't he figure that out by himself? :p)

How do I get three shots per round on my Archer Rogue? So far I only have 2. The feats I use are Rapid Shot, Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot. Am I missing any good archery feats?

Also, will Far Shot increase the range I can get Sneak Attacks from?

12. Airship

Airship Member

I have another problem... My Rogue just hit 28 DEX (+9). What Armor should I be using? I'm currently using a Mithral Shirt with AC 4 and DEX 6 for a Total of 10 AC, but is there anything better for me to use?

A masterwork Padded Armor is 1/8 (9 AC), so that's no good ... I know i can forgo Armor completely and use Bracers of Armor instead, but then I'd have to forego my beautiful bracers of Archery! Isn't there another way of getting high AC?

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The armour isn't going to get much better. At some point get exotic weps- repeating crossbow and Iolo's Joy from the witch in moathouse respawn. You also get loot to increase your AC. It's awesome. My rogue actually hit Iuz a few times at AC36 with +1 bolts! Amazing. She doesn't miss very often.

14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

For more than the 2 attacks, you will have to go up in level to get the extra attacks. Max of 2 with snipers at first l level. Airship. :(

No Far Shot will not increase your sneak attack distance, but DOES cut down the range penalties for long distance shooting for those battles either in random encounters or when you want to keep your rogue safe. Not missing anything, just the standard rules.

Hope my meanderings are still of help for ya. :)

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

As wizgreorge posted, you will not get anything better, unless you wanted to weigh him down with Mirthral Plate. The nice thing about the Mithral Shirt and adding on a mithral buckler is that they have ZERO armor check penalties and you can craft them up to +3 EACH, so add +6 to your AC. Even though a rogue or a mage do not have shield prof, they can use them and not be hurt, as long as they are mithral bucklers.

Our Host!