Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Yes, I did. It does work because I've also used it many times dealing with bodacks in the fire node.

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Thanks for the information. You are right - Lareth never initiates dialogue with your party when your party enters his room. Sorry, my bad.

I read somewhere in this forum that a Lawful Evil party alignment will not trigger the moathouse ambush.

My party entered Hickory Branch when they were all level 4 both on my first and second runthrough. The reasons why it is so much easier on my second runthrough are:
    a. I know exactly where everything is on the map and what I am about to fight;
    b. I've mastered combat tactics for the game now;
    c. My party is using reach weapons this time around (none of my characters were using reach weapons on my first runthrough);
    d. My party picked better feats this time around (especially Cleave!).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

Blind-Fight does not seem to be working correctly, as I am not seeing my re-rolls against concealment 'ala invisibility, obscuring mist etc. Is this a known bug?

Also, when using the 'full attack option' so that I can spread my attacks around multiple targets, I notice sometimes I lose attacks, especially if I try to inject things such as 'smite evil' or 'improved trip' into the attack routine, though it occurs with just normal attacks as well, this happens with both melee attacks and ranged attacks.

There seems to be a bug where if things die while under the influence of Holy Word effects, I see my screen still full of their attempted saving throws even after they are dead, and the combat is over.

I am aware that I usually only post things that don't seem to be working, but I wanted to say that I really appreciate the hard work you all do, it provides me with hours of fun, and every new patch release is just like Christmas, and a wonderful excuse for a new game!

4. Oakheart

Oakheart Member

Just wanted to point out in regards to item 'c' that reach weapons in the game are something of an exploit as they are not penalized against adjacent targets. Not to say that this is not fun at times, but its worth mentioning that if your looking for a more 'authentic' experience, reach weapons should be skipped.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Death Ward doesn't protect against Weird and Phantasmal Killer.
    It does protect against Finger of Death.

It seems the former two use the script obj.critter_kill(), whereas the latter uses obj.critter_kill_by_effect().

On the one hand, this appears to be bugged.
    On the other hand, I think critter_kill_by_effect() fails to execute sometimes. Tarah seems to be using this, and it doesn't always work.

Edit:
    Actually, it seems critter_kill() fails to work on my party as well. Very strange. Might be related to spell permanency problems I'm having.

Also, re. Lareth, I submitted a while ago an improved prebuff script for him that had him cast Magic Circle Against Good when you opened the door. What happened with that?
    Here's the thread:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8117

6. gazra_1971

I'm fed up with SecuROM preventing me from running my legitimate game CD that I bought when this game was released.

Could someone please send me a Private Message with a link to a no-cd crack that I can download?

Does the no-cd crack work without any problems with the Circle of Eight Modpack?

Wouldn't the cracked version of the TOEE.EXE file undo the changes made by the Circle of Eight Modpack?

The error message below prevented me from running the game. I am not using any virtual drive emulation software. SecuROM has prevented me from running the game on a few previous occasions as well (without reporting any error - it just refused to load the game CD). The only way that I was able to get the game to run whenever that started happening was to freaking reboot my computer! My CD drive brand/model is a Pioneer BDC-S02BK. My OS is Windows XP SP3.

Attached Files:

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

As long as you use the correct no-cd (patch 2, 33kb uncompressed / 17 kb compressed), you will have no problems using it with the modpack. It's almost as though it was meant to be. ;) I put away my game CD long ago and have never used it since except for the occasional re-install.

The Co8 modpack does not alter the executable, so using the correct no-cd doesn't affect anything. However, the wrong no-cd contains the file temple.dll inside it, which the Co8 mod does alter, so that will cause problems.

Just use the correct no-cd. I'm sure someone will PM a link shortly, or just Google 'ToEE no-cd.'

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

@Gazra, sent you the link you asked about. It does work with the Co8 mod pack and I have had no changes with it installed.

Hope this allows you to have fun with the game and not have these Snafus.

9. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

www.moddb.com are still on break over there because 5.9.2 is not up yet. I'm going to try that with my next job. If they ask me to do something, I'm just going to blow it off until the next day.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry, that seems to have not made it in somehow. :( I'll have to add it next time.

Also, it looks like Necro was right and Counter-Strike is running long over at ModDB, so the Wilfrick files are attached below.

Lastly, here is the changelog for 5.9.2 to thrill to while we wait some more:

General

- Fixed Armario masterwork delivery.
    - Tweaked Thrommel Scather delivery scenario to good-aligned PCs.
    - Fixed and standardized barter inventory refreshing for all merchants.
    - Fixed tile blocking issue on Temple Entrance map.
    - Fixed locations where it is registered that Otis has been to temple with you.
    - Removed extra longspears from skeleton guards at Emridy Meadows.
    - Bulletproofed scripting in Skole goons encounter so you don't have to revisit Boatmens Tavern for it to fire.
    - Removed last of undead amulets from Emridy Meadows zombies.
    - Faded edges of Moathouse Exterior map that became exposed due to expanding map limts.
    - Lowered escaped Lareth reward payout amount.
    - Removed DO NOT USE arrow from Water Node.
    - Removed DO NOT USE bullets from Moathouse Dungeon.
    - Fixed dialog bug where Kelno wouldn't take you to the Greater Temple.
    - Simplified area descriptions in saved games.
    - Mobbed in Moathouse Ambush.

Hickory Branch

- Hopefully re-bulletproofed Noblig so he doesn't reappear at Hickory Branch entrance anymore (NC modpack only).
    - Fixed heartbeat bug where Hungous would sometimes stop combat and do his speech again (NC modpack only).
    - Changed Hickory Branch orc archers to use five foot step, not rage, and carry only shortbows (NC modpack only).

Moathouse Respawn

- Mobbed in Moathouse Respawn (NC modpack only).
    - Upped constitution of Moathouse Respawn witch (NC modpack only).

Verbobonc

- Fixed various flag and scripting issues with Senshock in Verbobonc (NC modpack only).
    - Bulletproofed Verbobonc banker's dialog so he can't offer to sell you castle a second time (NC modpack only).
    - Bulletproofed the Verbobonc fugitives' disband and attack routines (NC modpack only).
    - Beefed up Wilfrick entourage mildly and added two archers (NC modpack only).
    - Changed Wilfrick's dialog so you can talk to him about assassination topics during the day at city hall (NC modpack only).
    - Bulletproffed Wilfrick's dialog further to stop him mentioning assassination job if you haven't got it, avoid loops, and nullify it if Darlia is dead (NC modpack only).

11. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

They just updated the pictures and description on moddb. The files are not up yet but it looks like it is about to happen.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I will hope so. as it will give me something to look forward to when I get off in 5 hours. :)

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks Gaear for the update on what will be coming out in the new mod pack. I appreciate all the hard work you and the others have done to tweak this version for us.

Now lets get 6.0 out and running!

.... just joking. :D

14. gazra_1971

The following quote is from the Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.2 NC - Release Notes.txt file:
    If you buy the Spyglass from Rannos Davl or Gremag (in their trading post in Hommlet), then you have twice the chance of spotting a random encounter.

I've got great news for those who don't already know! Atari and Cryptic Studios are making a computer game called Neverwinter RPG which is planned for release in Q4 2011. The game is set in Neverwinter City. The game's story is by the guy who created the character Drizzt Do'Urdin.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  15. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

I'm back.
    Playing 5.91. Wow! Awesome!! The game keeps getting better!!! Keep up the good work!!!! All that...
    I've seen most of the issues I've had with 5.91 mentioned here, except one:
    I was given the option of mentioning to Lerrick both the being followed thing and the guy in the room thing before they actually happened. In fact, I've never seen a guy in my room.
    But I'm guessing it's too late to fix them for 5.92, if that is actually broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!