Zert a traitor?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nago, Mar 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. nago

nago Member

I have read a couple places that Zert (and also Turuko and Kobort) will turn on the party at some point, but I have not been able to recreate this. Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks!
    Nago

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

When turuko died kobrt turned on me, never had zert swich on me though.

3. nago

nago Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried to recreate that after your post -- for me Turuko died and Kobort was still a loyal follower -- until I asked him to leave the party, then he attacked.

I wonder if Zert being a traitor is just a relic from the PnP module....

4. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

Zert depends on your actions.......i had him turn on me in the moat house once...then in the second trip to the temple in another and not at all in the rest

5. nago

nago Member

Thanks for the reply, lord_graywolf. Do you remember what you had to do to get Zert to turn on you in the moathouse? Did he have anything to say or just start attacking?

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

it was when we attacked lareth that he turned. but i dont think that was all the triggered it cause he was with me before there and didnt attack. i did have elmo with me when he attacked but i dont know if that had anything to do with it. i dont remember if it was elmo or otis that was with me when he attacked at the temple. like i said its only happend twice so im not sure whats causing it....i am just starting a new game so i take him along and try to pin it down if he attacks again.

7. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Zert as well as several NPCs that can join your party will turn on when you meet the following conditions:

1) you have just entered a specific new map
    2) your party leader is a certain % wounded
    3) the NPC in question is NOT a certain % wounded

Basically they will turn on you if they feel they have the upper hand. That kind of fits with their alignment. When they smell weakness they will strike. But the rest of the time they play it safe.

I have never seen this happen, but I know this is basically how it works as I have studied the scripts that make it happen.

I may have gotten some of the criteria slightly incorrect as I am posting from memory, but I am pretty sure that is how it works...

Most of the odd things that can happen are done in such a way that they will only rarely happen... a nice way to make each game a bit different.

- Livinya

8. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

that makes sense cause both times zert turned on me were right after big battles where i couldnt heal up much or at all and everyone was hurt.....most of the npc's tend to hang back if they can...

Our Host!