Zaxis Sister Bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kurt, Nov 3, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kurt

Kurt Member

I found her letter in the Temple, and met Zaxis (the wandering bard); While I had expected some dialog option to allow me to tell him about the letter (I was carrying around in my inventory for that purpose), nothing appeared, just the normal ToEE dialog options. :(

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Is there actually a resolution to the Zaxis sister storyline? I didn't think there was. Certainly could use it though. Just a shame Zaxis is voiced.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

There is definitely a dialog resolution for the Zaxis / sister situation. (Not really a quest, I guess.) I have always had a dialog option show up if I run into Zaxis after picking up the letter.

Kurt-

You said you didn't get any options when you talked to him - did you talk to him with the character who had the letter in his/her inventory? I once had that issue, but eventually figured out the letter was on someone else, or in the ethereal chest or something. Once I put the letter in my faceman's inventory, the resolution dialog came up properly.

4. Zebedee

Thanks erkper. Learnt something new today.

5. Kurt

Kurt Member

I don't recall for sure, but it is possible it wasn't the same character; I didn't pay attention who was carrying it at that time, since (AFAIK) ToEE usually checks all PCs inventories for quest triggers.

I guess that was the problem.
    Oh well.

6. Zebedee

Will fix next time I play with the ToEE .py and .dlg files. Really easy to fix too as I think it is definitely a bug and that no matter who has the letter, the dialogue option should appear.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There is a dialogue option for finding the letter and, then - later in the game, meeting Zaxis and announcing having found the letter to Zaxis. If you meet Zaxis before finding the letter, once you find the letter, you have to go <spoiler removed by krunch>.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I thoroughly disagree, but I realise this is the way of ToEE: be warned that KotB will be different, you'll often have to consciously have the items in the speaker's inventory to reduce the chance of people accidently stumbling on the answers to quests, simply because they are carrying stuff they found. But thats for later - for now, I'll stick a 'repaired' Zaxis file in the CMF thread.
    Watch the spoilers, Krunchy.

9. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Thanks, Krunch. I didn't know that's where Zaxis went if you didn't take him into the party.

And don't listen to Ted. He used to self-medicate. He probably didn't even know what he was sayin'. :smoke:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  10. Zebedee

Hmmm. Not done it yet because I was thinking through implications Ted. We probably need to have a community discussion on how to handle this kind of thing. Especially as we need to decide on whether the 'group leader' idea is something which should be carried through as that is often the only way to script certain things.

What do you reckon? Anything posted in the CMF does not necessarily have to be accepted into the next full release and we do definitely need to find out how the community wants to move forward with some things.

KotB is a totally different thing from ToEE in this regard. You and the KotB team write the rules and we play them :)

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That IS that way it works, it is the reason Sitra something-or-other's evil trader encounter was dropped, and Ax Thrower's Corsair Mod never made it into a CMF. I'm not attempting to be an arbitrator of what gets released and what doesn't, but I am charged with the duty of merging quality mods and fixes into an already bulging mod pack.

For the record I think Zaxis' sister quest's resolution will make it into the CMF, simply because it is a fix for a (minor) bug, and fixes are always welcome.

12. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

thanx crunch.
    i would sometimes reload the game if i didn't have the letter with me when i passed up zaxis.
    I thought that was it for him, but he goes to the whore house.

heh heh.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm with Axl on this. Somebody has to do this job, and he has graciously accepted the task. We should thus allow him some discretion in these matters, if for no other reason than the 'town hall meating' approach usually results in ... prolonged discussion, no eventual consensus, and no eventual 'final' determination. We learned that lesson the hard way back during the Blue / oversight committee days.

This doesn't mean that people can't discuss it, but in the end it most always has to be a single person giving the thumbs up or down. :shrug:

14. Zebedee

Oh I know that's how it works :) I'm just saying that we're hitting a point where we have to make some decisions about modding ToEE. They're quite big decisions and although I take Gaear's point on the problems of decisions via committee, we are a community driven mod. I actually agree with Ted's point that items should be put on the PC initiating dialogue in order to trigger it. But others may not do so, and argue that to do this in ToEE turns it into more of a chore. *shrug* Not sure where Gaear and you are coming from on this one to be honest, I was just asking whether or not the community should be allowed to decide whether an item carried by the group should be sufficient to trigger quest dialogue in ToEE, or whether the community were content and aware of the role of the group leader and/or person initiating dialogue. I prefer the latter because it fits in with the role of the face character but I'm happy to be outvoted.

It seems perhaps there has been a misunderstanding. But if not, I very much strongly disagree that modders have the right to make major changes to gameplay without informing and getting the community's agreement. I'm not certain that's what is meant but it does read like that to me.

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Modders don't have the right to formally change anything that is stamped 'Co8,', but the CMF manager has the right to independantly determine if any proposed changes will be included in the modpack. It has basically always been that way. They didn't call Sol and zhuge 'CMF mangers,' but like Blue and Allyx, they essentially were. Not sure if this is what you're objecting to, but if we take that discretion away we're basically up a creek without a paddle, because the community itself simply won't do it. And the oversight committee debacle showed that committees can't do it. :)

Our Host!