Your Favorite ToEE Quest/Plotline/Scenario/Battle

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Aug 17, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What is it? It can be vanilla or NC.

I remember a 'magic moment,' (the like of which was sadly lacking in vanilla for the most part) when I first played Livonya's Rannos and Gremag revenge scenario all those years ago now and found out from Preston Wetz in Nulb that some "rough-looking people" had been asking around about me ...

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The Lareth bust out of jail scenario awed me. I thought it was extremely well executed and quite exciting to discover. That + the revenge scenario and the revamped Tower Brigands fight are the highlights of Co8 IMO, and are largely what inspired me to begin modding myself. (in short - Livonya rocks!)

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

The Temple Reaction battles are awesome. I particularly like the air temple battle. Big room, and lots of foes. They have some tough guys in that fight. The water temple bugs me a little because they are all bunched up at the door and I have a hard time targeting some of them because their character circles are on top of each other and that damn giant squid-crab is in the way.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

Desperate housewives.

The dialogue alone was well worth the mod. (Evil? witches, A hilarious rodent king and a poor, afflicted Frank) Add the fact that it was a great alternative to the normal FedEx quests, though running around in their own right, and the awesomely useful reward at the end, and you have my vote every time.

Of the current scenarios, though, Rannos and Gremag revenge is good yes, but there is something to be said about WORKING to get the girl- Meleny's questline. Yes it is FedEx, but she is worth it.

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Not really part of the actual gameplaythrough, but I always remember my first time playing ToEE. I did the tutorial to learn how to play, and it was really fun and interesting.

6. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

I believe it's called the "broken tower" area (when you take the path to the right before entering the Temple proper) when you're attacked by the brigands. I remember the first time encountering that and thinking, "Oh, this is not going to end well..." One of those great moments of what the game could be.

7. Gavial

Gavial Member

The day I realized that something important was missing from my inventory, and then later realized that Dala was the culprit. I really like a game that is not forgiving when it comes to this, yes I do treat it like a big combat simulator, that is mostly how I develop my parties, but I love it when it forces me to roleplay, or reload, or get angry at the game (because something worked, and not because it did not work).

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I second Gavial's statement, except for me it was when she was WEARING the armor she stole right of my back. heh heh

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I had a female half-elf wizard and she had the S&W.50cal and she took a invisibilty potion and then went in to Senshocks room. But he has see invisibilty and then he ran thru his Who dares dialouge and the wizard asked for the apology. No, you goning to die. Wizard won the initiative(good thing) and shoots Senshock. Here's a little female half-elf with this big hogleg piece and kills this arrogant high-powered wizard. He should have apologized.

10. chano

chano Established Member

The new Smigmail fight, quite a shock the first time those assassins appeared and slaughtered my wizard.
    And the reactive temples are really cool

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I have enjoyed so many of the scenarios over the years. From bug filled vanilla to 6.1. Have to say the first time I battled the slavers was one of the biggest shockers and had me pissed off at the game and the baddies. I much prefer the new version that does not have the insta kill, but I will say that the old version still has its moments. :)

12. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

I think one of my favorite moments, was managing to cast "Charm Animal" on the HUGE Dire Bear in the pit on the Hickory Branch map, and seeing it appear at the front of my party when i entered the cave to duel with the remaining Orcish forces. It charged forward and slapped Lord Hungous around, taking his first brutal swings of that double-bladed Orcish axe of his.

Not unlike unleashing the Rancor into Jabba's throne room, i would imagine!!! :)

The whole Hickory Branch adventure is one of my favorites, and it was certainly best the first time i truly experienced it. After going there way too early and low-level (right after clearing the Moathouse) ... i rebooted, leveled and got better equipped. Having the henchmen Spugnior and Furnok, i focused my strategies on best preparing them, and roleplaying the preparations of the rest of my team: Half elven CG barbarian2/bard6, elven NG cleric5/wizard3, Half elven CG rogue4/ranger4, Human paladin, half orc TN druid5/barb3 ...IIRC I have tried other party builds, but this is the one i keep coming back to.

I also, if i recall had along Ronnie the cleric - in hopes he would be screaming epithets or some such the whole while at the Orcs he so reviles. No such luck there... oh well. Got everyone up to about level 7 or 8 with other adventuring, best equipment i could afford or craft, and had Spugnior create many scrolls of his best spells to act as a long range "heavy-cannon" for the group. I wanted to only attempt the challenge of besting this army if i could do it without resting, all in one go.

Using Furnok, after the initial battle on the map, i had him go into "Bilbo Baggins" mode and scout out the rest of the map, so i could attack at the best vantage points and best conserve my resources.

Definitely my favorite map!

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I have done this myself and I agree that it is fun. The bad thing about it is that if you somehow keep the bear around, he takes up WAY too much space in enclosed areas. Maybe try to cast reduce animal. :)

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

what else but my Hickory Branch mod :D

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

HB does get a lot of love, and it seems to be pretty much bug-free now. I don't think we've made a significant change to it in the last couple releases.

lol, I think we've all failed if the best part of the game is before the game. ;) (Tho maybe it would be worse if people "loved it when it ended." :p)

Our Host!