XP and other Queries

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shadowblade2, Apr 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

What is it about rebalancing the XP awards that is so problemattic? I noticed that when Wonnilon got to level 10 he's getting the same XP as my level 20 Sorcerer, so I can see it's something to do with the CR being set at 10 for a 10 level game, but beyond that it's a mystery.

If I craft magick powers into an existing item that has unusual, uncraftable powers, such as Fragarach or Iolo's Joy, will I bugger up the special abilities of the item?

~

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I think since the game engine was designed to cap at level 10, the XP awards are only scaled to that point, so a level 10 character should get the same XP from an encounter as a lvl 12, 15, or 20 character would. It would probably take a .dll hack to fix that.

I'm not sure about Iolo's Joy, but you can't craft Frag or Scather - they're off limits. Aren't they powerful enough as-is? :twitch:

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Crafting Fragarach - thats funny :icon_chuc

Iolo's Joy should be happily craftable, but don't blame me if it breaks: after all, its from another world, in a time to come.

4. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

I seem to recall crafting fire and lightining into it and still getting the sonic damage, but that was long ago.

Erkper seems to be missing my point slightly: they are just examples, it doesn't matter how powerful they are; there are weapons with uncraftable powers, such as damage reduction, protection from cold, sonic damage etc. There's the Silver sword of Chaos and so on. I don't weant to craft an extra +2 and fire and lightning damage if I'm going to destroy the rest of the item's powers.

~

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

He means adding crafter power, not crafting Scather from scratch (now that's sound complicated)

I remember to add holy damage on the Frostbrand. The description (when you hover the cursor) disspears, since the weapon is no longer the same -for the engine- but the weapon still is the same.

I think you can do the same with Fragarach and Scather. Technically, it's just another magical weapon, with a special property on it (all the chaotic, always hit and all the other stuff is packed in a single ability). Just to be safe, don't change the name or add anything, leave it as it is. ^_^

Best way?
    Get yor crafter ready, save the game, and craft and test. :shrug:

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The comment about Frag being too powerful was just a joke - I simply was pointing out that Troika made Fragaratch and Scather uncraftable. It simply can't be done, the weapons won't even show up on the crafting screen IIRC.

I've crafted the Silver Sword of Chaos before - everything worked OK, except that the sword wouldn't "hold" a plus higher than the +1 it comes with. I reported that bug in the old 5.0.x bug reports thread, but Krunch never got it fixed before he left.

Our Host!