would it be possible to..

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by cremo, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. cremo

cremo Member

i know that perhaps ToEE still needs a lot of patching and debugging before starting to work on a new big mod..

but would it be possible in a near/distant future to create a "baldur's gate mod" for ToEE ?

i mean i love ToEE graphic, combat sys and all

but i don t enjoied the campaign that much (short, few quests)
    i would love to see a translation of the first baldur's gate!

i really don t understand why thre are soo many resources waster in this game...
    i mean minotaurs, lamias and monsters that you see ONCE in all the game!!

also i tought it would have been a non epic campaign (considering lvl 10 is max)
    wich are my favourites

but post the moathhouse the game start involving you against elementals and such...
    while i would have loved to fight against more low lvl moster as i did in bg 1 (goblins, hobgoblins, cobolds)
    to go against tribes and to travel against lands as i did in bg 1..
    while in this game there are 2 cities 2 dungeons and just a big exterrior map (emridy meadows i think)!!

i know that if it was possible it would mean to write thousands of lines of npc and probably to redesign all the maps.... but i would love to play again with Minsc and Moo now in 3d and turn based with the new 3.5 rules!!

about the maps.. i was thinking..
    what about just converting them into toee maps? (i mean the graphic) would it be impossible?

ok toee maps are better looking but bg maps weren t bad too!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  2. Shin

Shin Established Member

Wow, now I met my soulmate. :D

I mean, I had the exact same thought when I first finished ToEE. ;)

Then I digged a little by myself, and told myself with proper effort, it might be possible.

HOWEVER! There are limits and HUGE difficulites awaiting.

There are already BG->BG2 conversation (BG using BG2 engin) and BG2->IWD2 projects, and those guys are already getting trouble converting an IE game into another IE game... So my guess is it will be a little MUCH harder for BG->ToEE.

Some troubles that any valiant ppl somewhere might have are :

To start with, they have to rework dialogues. ToEE has as default different dialogue options for PCs based on their MALE/FEMALE, Int7orless/Int8ormore status... Of course, they can ignore the dumb guys talking dumb feature of ToEE. But they'll still have to MANUALLY modify all the quest flags thingies, and my friend, BG may not be PS:T but it still has tons of dialogues.

There are also TRAPS, I think ToEE engin can handle BG type on ground traps but they'll still have to spend much time to figure out how to, and since there's no "simple" map editor for ToEE...

And more and more... :(

But even with all these cons, I believe it is still doable, especially if Troika releases any help for modders, which they aren't doing at all for the moment. :(

PS : And the legal thing, I think the modders will need Interplay's authorisation to use any of their "intellectual property".

3. cremo

cremo Member

i know of the conversions..
    but really
    what is the different in playing bg1 in bg2 engine :p?
    i mean ok some new graphic, dual wielding, better resolution
    but that s all

iwg at least gives you some new rules..

but translating into a perfect 3.5 sys like ToEE a great campaign like bg1 would be something AWESOME!

well about the dialogues i think "for myself" that this would be one of the most fun part and it would be only an addition to the original campaign if when minsc is my most intelligent char they talk to me like someone quite dumb (not that minsc is dumb .. but you get the point :p)

also monsters npcs items are all there

biggest problem would be maps...
    but aside that it would be just a job to add npcs/mobs around and put them dialogues
    (no very special magic items in bg1)

i don t think we should be 100% faithfull to the original game..
    i mean ok we don t have to do things like removing places or lines...
    but if we just add more lines of dialogue (perhaps make that some monsters that i tought should have talked to you talk to you in bg1)

just think at beregost!!
    i just immagine the town with the thunderhammer guy (the smith that made ankheg armor) now working on an anvil!
    with cows and chickens and guards walking around

damn wouldn t it be great?

we have already the engine if this game was as easy moddable as morrowind or nwn it would be a piece of cake (or better, a question of time and dedication)

4. Shin

Shin Established Member

I assure you, they had/are having some weird bugs here and there while converting things.

For example, spells don't work in the same way in each engin.

And yes, it would be something really cool. Yet we still would need to check if ToEE's 3D awesome modeled characters mix well with BG's used-to-be-awesome map graphics. And since ToEE's maps are BIG bitmap files, BG maps are BIG bitmap files I wouldn't really worry about the map conversions (of course there will be further complications here and there)... :D

Oh and BTW, angkeg is missing in ToEE. As well as wyverns and the err, medusa-like-eyed lizard. :( And cows, horses too, I believe, are in BG but not in ToEE.

5. cremo

cremo Member

well we could buy some modellers :p
    anyway there is already the animtionof monsters coming from the ground :p
    we just need to make them ankheg-like :p

6. cremo

cremo Member

so...
    quite a bit of time has passed...
    ToEE will "hopefully" get a second patch
    that woulkd make it a more stable game (now most of the problems are quest related thus wouldn t interfere with this mode)

Here what this mod would be: not a transposition like iwg2 or stuff where with the i.e. engine people try to recycle files and stuff and to not get bugs (bugs happen cause of this.. they are trying to import things into the same engine with some modifications)

we would use ToEE and make a complete new adventure with th same rules and all..
    only a different world
    different dialogues and different quests

only thing to import should be maps (wich are 2d as ToEE's maps are)

so anyone interested?

Our Host!