World Map?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Kayak, Jan 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kayak

Kayak Member

Hi all, I just wanted to know if I should be able to access the world map in the Demo or not. If not, I can't seem to travel to any of the quest areas. I can see that the files are included, but in game I get the message that it is not accessible from any location.

On the other hand, the mod (what I can see of it) looks and feels great so far.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The world map is accessable from the Outer Bailey map (the main Keep map where you run around). Once you use it, and see the 3 different locales - a la Hommlet - you'll realise why its that one.

3. Kayak

Kayak Member

Thanks! It wasn't working for me, but I reinstalled the mod and started a new game and all is fine. Just out of curiosity why is it not accessible from the entrance area?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well... for one thing, you start with the 3 'Hommlet' areas on the map already there. So, if a person could just bring up the World Map outside the Front Gate they could bypass the 'go through the Front Gate' part of the adventure, which frankly I didn't want them to do (talking your way into the Keep is clearly the first thing you do in the game, according to the module. Its not necessarily hard).

Also, while it may sound sensible to have to return via the Front Gate each tiome you go out - and would add some great RP moments: "I'm sorry, sir, you can't come in, most of your party appear to be undead and summoned demons" - for the ordinary player just looking to sell their loot and rest at the inn, having to chat to the guard every time would be a real pain. Watch when we get the Inner Bailey done and people have to talk their way thruogh the Inner Gate and then walk the length of the Inner Gatehouse, then the length of the Inner Bailey, to go and see the Castellan about the latest quest - I guarantee you people will want a shortcut there very quick. They probably won't get one :)

Plus the Outer Bailey is quite large and having 3 worldmap points to help traverse it is, well, helpful :)

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Also, you can only get worldmap access from locations that are hardwired into the .dll. So it's not like you can add unlimited numbers of them.

6. Kayak

Kayak Member

I t all makes sense. I think that I'd rather RP it if I had my druthers. :mrhappy: Oh well. can't have it all. Thanks

Our Host!