(Wondrous) Magic Items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ipon, Mar 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ipon

Ipon Member

Is there a list of the Wondrous Magic items you can create along with the properties of each?

On a related matter -- is there _any_ use for the "Detect Magic" spell?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

3. Ipon

Ipon Member

Okay, check on the first part -- great list. But what about what the items do? Is it just the effect of the spell required?

For example, how many times a day can you cure serious wounds with Prayer Beads? Does natural armor stack with regular armor?

4. kungfuramone

kungfuramone Member

Well, there's always the option of buying a couple of used copies of the D+D Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide and reading up! ;)

In all seriousness, most of the game mechanics are straight out of 3.5 D+D, which is pretty complex once you get past the basics of hitting, damage, and hit points. Some of that kind of information is available for free on http://www.dandwiki.com

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

You can also check out http://www.d20srd.org/ for some of the items and rules if you do not own a book. Also if you have a character with craft wonderous items, there is a list of what you can make, and they necessary requirements.

I do not know about the times per day with the prayer beads, but natural armor DOES stack with other armor bonuses.

As for Detect Magic, as far as I know, it is a non start for me in the game. Each magic item tells you it is magic or once you identify it you get the full properties.

So I would say not memorize it and cast better and more useful spells.

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    I am currently working on a revised, revision of the worksheet so that you will be able to tell (from the worksheet) what an item actually does (as hard-coded in ToEE not necessarily what d20 SRD says it should do) before you craft it. So far I have found three items that I suggest you DO NOT CRAFT ! They are:
    1.) Broach of Shielding: REVISED !! Possibly the most overpowered item in the game (in terms of what it does versus what it should do according to RAW) One broach of Shielding allows your Party to cast Shield 20 times (each spell lasts 50 Rounds). In addition to stopping Magic Missile Damage (according to RAW it should soak up 101 HP before dissolving, in ToEE the spell lasts 50 Rounds) it adds 4 to AC which stacks with EVERYTHING !!
    2.) Necklace of Adaption: According to d20srd a NoA should grant the wearer total immunity to Stinking Cloud, Cloud Kill, and Poison Gasses (like the breath of a Green Dragon for example). In ToEE it grants you immunity to Cloud Kill ....... once. You are much better off scribing scrolls of Neutralize Poison
    3.) Mandolin of Charming: when I clicked on MoC while crafting, it said that it allows a Bard to cast Suggestion once a day. What it actually casts is "Calm Emotions"
    In addition to these three, there are several items that are weaker than their listed attributes in d20srd, and a few that aren't even listed in d20srd at all. I hope to have the revised, revised, worksheet up within the next few days.
    The Royal Canadian

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks ahead of time TRC for all your hard work and I appreciate the explanation you gave above. I am fairly rule savvy, but for others who are not, this will be quite useful.

8. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ipon
    Thanks for the compliment, and also for reminding me to finish the job. Unfortunately, what the actual 3.5 rules say an item should do, and what the item actually does in ToEE can be two entirely different things, so it will take me a little while to get it all straight. In a lot of cases, the effect is of the item, is the effect of the spell required. For example Gloves of Dexterity +2 adds 2 points to your Dexterity. Keep in mind that a lot of items that modify Ability Scores don't "stack" so if you cast Cat's Grace on a character wearing Gloves of Dexterity +6 the spell will have no effect. You cast it but the character gets no Dexterity bonus (unless of course your character loses his gloves). On the other hand there are several items that don't require any spells at all ( The Bracers of Archery and the Ioun Stones for example) and some items ( Helm of Brilliance, Robes of the Archmagi ) that have multiple effects that are not always evident from the list of spells required to craft them making it harder to determine what the item does without actually crafting it and trying it out (that is what is going to take the most time). When I finally finsih the list, you should be able to tell what every item does, how long each effect from a given item will last and how many times you can use it either in total (some items only work so many times before falling apart) or per day.
    The Royal Canadian

9. EvilCatEars

EvilCatEars Member

Prayer Beads - You can use that item like memorized spels; use item, rest 8 hours -> ready to use again (note you have to rest, not just pass time). Also this item affect multiple targets on use, i dont know if the number of targets wary in relation to who crafted it (in my case druid crafted it and it affects 11 targets). It takes place of the amulet in inventory.

Also it causes some peculiar behavior on NPCs; when I used it to heal my party in Burne's tower he attacked me. Also using this item on NPCs makes them hostile (casting regular memorized cure xxx wounds does not do that)

Brooch of Shielding - Can normally be crafted, allows user to cast shield indifinitely. You can have 10 shields on 1 character (AC does not stack), or even move it around your party and make everyone shielded. It takes place of the amulet in inventory.

Wand of Call Lightning Storm - its cheaper than wand of Call Lightning, and in facts it cast Reduce Animal (in inventory it looks like wand of Call Lightning)

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@TRC, you should really get WorldBuilder and familiarize yourself with its proto editor. There's a lot of clear data in protos.tab about everything, so that might make your quest easier.

11. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Could you also tell us which slot the item will take, some of those are not selfevident?

btw. Are the greater breacers of archery supposed to give you proficiency with any bows? I crafted them to my bard, but she was still unable to use longbows. (well the longbow was red and there was the text "you are not proficient with this weapon", never tried it in use though.)

second btw. Has anyone else stumbled on spell permanency with magical items? My boots of speed got it and my PC was "under" the effect of haste without any benefits from said spell. :( Had to sell those boots and craft new ones only to encounter the same problem the first time I used them. :angry:

12. The Royal Canadian

Hi Rocktoy
    Not a problem. It might take me a little longer, but I will get it done. I hope to have all the testing done, and the revised, revised worksheet posted sometime next week.
    In regards to your second question: I am not 100% certain, but I don't think I have encountered Spell Permanency from Wondrous Items. You are aware that Jaroo will remove Spell Permanency for free ??

Gaear I tried to use Worldbuilder last night but kept getting an "Access to ToEEWorldBuilder.sar is denied" error message and was unable to search for any items in the Prototypes tab. Any ideas ?? By the way I had copied Protos.TAB, Description.mes and LongDescription.mes to the ToEEWB folder. Not that it's a huge deal as I have crafted and tested most of the Wondrous Items already.
    The Royal Canadian

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  13. The Royal Canadian

Hi Folks
    Another item that seems to be "buggy", at least from my testing is the "Chime of Interruption". In my tests, it works the way it is supposed to ( disrupting a verbal spellcasting within 30' )...... once. After that the only person effected is the bearer of the chime.
    The Royal Canadian

14. The Royal Canadian

Hi Rocktoy
    You are correct about the Bracers of Archery. Both versions (Greater and Lesser) are supposed to give proficiency with Long and Short Bows to those who don't have them. As you pointed out (thanks for doing so by the way) in ToEE they don't. In ToEE the only thing Bracers of Archery will do is add to the "To Hit" (and in the case of the Greater Bracers: Damage) rolls of someone who is already proficient with a Longbow or Shortbow.
    The Royal Canadian

15. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Thank you, much appreciated.

Yep. I tried that first, didn't do anything so I tried selling and recrafting with minuscule success. :evilgrin:

Our Host!