Windows 7 doesn't like TOEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Reffy, Apr 21, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Reffy

Reffy Member

I'm new on this forum, and I've recently trying to play TOEE (GoG) with the co8 modpack included. This is wat I did:

Using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

1# Installed TOEE in a custom made folder "C:/TOEE/"

2# Installed official patch 2. (Wich also include the updates of patch 1)

3# Installed Co8 Modpack 6.0.0 NC.

4# Activated the modpack.

5# Changed "toee.exe", so that it runs as Administrator and in Windows ME compatibility mode. (Windows xp SP2 or 3 made the game crash even more.)

6# Also used administrator settings on the modpack shortcut. (T-OFX.exe?)

7# Disabled any cd emulation software.

8# Changed the following settings: Party PC limit to 6. Resolution to 1680 X 1050. Max NPC/PC hit points.

When starting the game, I could see it worked because of the resolution. Here are the problems:

When going to the option menu, if I click on Anti-Aliasing and then on Accept. The game crashes to desktop 100% of the time. I've tried this in windows 95/98/Me/XP SP2/XP SP3 modes.

I've tried playing regardless. After the shop map in the beginning, you have to go to a portal.
    On XP mode, the game crashes instantly as soon as you use it. 100% of the time.
    On ME mode, I could go through it, but then the game crashed when entering other buildings.

I can't use windows virtual pc because that only works on Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, or so, the claim on youtube. I also do not know how that works.

Maybe I could try an older version of the Modpack...

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gavial

Gavial Member

Does Temple of Elemntal Evil run after you have done step 2? Without modpack?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

See this thread for responses to the most common problems (as well as a bunch of other info); this thread details player success stories with getting the game to run.

This sounds like it could be the movie/scaling issue explained in the first link.

If you change anything in-game via the video options menu after setting a custom widescreen resolution via the front end, the game reverts to whatever resolution is listed in the video options at the time (800x600 or 1024x768 or whatever). I've never seen that cause a crash, but it's possible that may be what's happening. I'd try setting your AA in-game, then quit and set your widescreen resolution via the front end.

Also, your video card's settings should be set to application controlled for AA.

Generally, ToEE has been shown to play nice with 7, so most likely these problems are something specific to your setup.

4. Reffy

Reffy Member

Sorry for the late reply, I got TOEE working and now I'm addicted.

When I set the screen resolution to 800 X 600, everything works like a charm.

Somethimes I have to change Front End X.exe to 'use as administrator', and somethimes I have to unselect it.

Hope this helps, you guys rock.

Our Host!