Who wants to play ToEE in 1st Ed, or 2nd?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by karldar, May 28, 2004.

Remove all ads!
?

What kind of ruleset would you like to see in a D&D crpg?

1. Old school all the way, baby! 1st Edition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Old school almost all the way. 1st Edition + Unearthed Arcana

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Kinda old school. 2nd Edition.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. New school. 3rd Edition.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. The latest and greatest is all you need! 3.5 at this point

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  6. The ability to choose between 1st/2nd/3rd/etc.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. karldar

karldar Member

Well, the patch is out, kids. If it were possible(and Sir T seems to think it is), who's up for a temple-clearing old school style? Never actually played this module, but I started out with the red box back in the day and went on to AD&D 1st Edition from there. Played 2nd for a long time, but I haven't actually gotten into 3E or 3.5 pnp.

Guess the question(as far as changing the ruleset ingame)is, "What would or wouldn't work with the engine/.exe in regards to the older rules editions?" I guess 3.5's fine, but why not have the option to choose your ruleset? Kinda like a difficulty level selection on the startup screen/GUI that allows you to pick which edition you'd like to play for that party/game. I think they're enough people who played/play 1st and 2nd Ed. that it could be profitable for someone. Only a hypothetical question as it could be some time before we see another DnD crpg :(

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  2. karldar

karldar Member

bump

P.S. Ack! 3.5's winning--very interestink!

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

i wonder why people fear responding, they just vote but dont want to actually say anything.. i bet they feel they have nothing valuable enough to say... well I vote for choosing, I dont ASK or EXPECT anyone to do it... but if it is an option, then sure why not... some people will say "but that will take effort that can go somewhere else" well I dont know that, perhaps those who will do it will only be interested in doing it because of that option... so this is what I vote

Oh and I put the finger down as its the symbol for life (in gladiatorial battles they would give thumbs up to SHOW NO MERCY AND KILL, cause thats cool, thumbs down was, this sucks let him live its ruining my fun... so on TV when they use the thumbs up for life.. thats wrong! XD)

4. karldar

karldar Member

Word!

Thanks for the reply, Talt. No need for people to reply(or vote, for that matter). I was just curious if there was any interest in playing crpgs under the older rulesets. Not as much interest as I thought there would be, frankly. 'Course, it could be the lack of traffic around here....;)

Edit: Can't believe 3.5 is winning, btw. I was being a little sarcastic when I called it the "latest and greatest". Although, I suppose it is the latest, at any rate....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  5. karldar

karldar Member

bizzump!?

6. Keolander

Keolander Member

Well.....

I voted for 1st Edition + Unearthed Arcana....cause thats how I remember the Temple. I will say that I like 3.5 for D&D (I dont care for d20 used for anything but fantasy...as modern and sci-fi games using the system really suck).

I, for one, would like to see a version made where you can play as Lord Robilar when he went through the Temple during the original test play (and left his trusty Orc henchman Quij to fend for himself).

If ya wanna read some of that account, here is a link where Rob Kuntz, Gary Gygax and Frank Mentzer (who wrote ToEE) discuss some of the escapades of the Temple. As you will no doubt notice, I have the same name there as I do here!

Pied Piper Publishing Forums - Robilar Remembers

7. karldar

karldar Member

bippity boppity bump

Hmm, going to have to declare 3.5 the winnah, I suppose-unless some more peeps vote. Poor turnout for an election year...;)

Our Host!