Who has Dragon #337?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Allyx, Sep 16, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

An anouncement on the atari board say's that there is official 3.5 rules for Zuggtmoy in issue 337 of Dragon magazine. As I now live in small town UK, there is next to no chance of me getting my hands on the magazine (unless I win enough on the lottery to treat myself to a trip to the "Orcs Nest" D&D shop in London), so could anyone who has a copy scan the details and post it, or PM me for an e-mail address to send it to. I can update the protos.tab to take in to consideration these new stats - but I need to see them first!

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I don't have Dragon #337, but anyway, here's what I found doing a search on the Internet.

ZUGGTMOY
    Large Outsider (Evil, Chaotic)
    Hit Dice: 34d8+408 (564 hp)
    Initiative: +7 (+7 dex)
    Speed: 30 ft.
    AC: 39 (-1 size, +7 dex, +7 insight, +16 natural), touch 23, flat-footed 32
    Attacks: 2 pseudopodial arms +42 melee and 4 legs +42 melee
    Damage: 1d8+9 pseudopodial arm or 2d6+9 leg
    Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft. / 10ft
    Special Attacks: spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: DR 20/+5, fast healing 5, outsider traits, see invisibility, SR 37, summon fungi, summon tanar’ri, tanar’ri traits
    Saves: Fort +30, Ref +25, Will+25
    Abilities: Str 28, Dex 25, Con 35, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 24
    Skills: Bluff +44, Concentration +49, Diplomacy +44, Hide +44, Knowledge (arcana) +44, Knowledge (history) +44, Knowledge (religion) +44, Knowledge (the planes) +44, Listen +44, Move Silently +36, Search +44, Sense Motive +44, Spellcraft +44, Spot +44.
    Feats: Dark Speech, Dodge, Expertise, Improved Trip, Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability Weapon Focus (pseudopodial arms and leg)

Spell-Like Abilities: At will — antiplant shell (as antilife shell but only hedges out plants), astral projection, charm plant (as charm monster but only affects plants), corrupt food and drink (spoils food and drink making it inedible), darkness, detect good, detect law, detect magic, entangle, fear, hold plant (as hold person but affects only plants), improved invisibility, levitate, locate plant (as locate creature but only affects plants), pass without trace, plant growth, polymorph self (usually takes the form of an old crone), programmed image, read magic, silence, snare, speak with plants, telekinesis (500 pounds weight), tongues, transport via plants; 2/day — ethereal jaunt; 1/day — gate and limited wish.
    Caster level 20th; save DC 17 + spell level.

Outsider Traits: Zuggtmoy has darkvision (60-foot range). She can not be raised or resurrected.

See Invisibility (Su): Invisible creatures and objects are always visible to Zuggtmoy, as if she constantly had a see invisibility spell (caster level 20) active.

Summon Fungi (Sp): Once per day Zuggtmoy can automatically summon 40 HD of plant creatures.

Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day Zuggtmoy can automatically summon 1d4 vrocks, 1d3 hezrous, 1d2 glabrezus, or 1 balor.

Tanar’ri Traits: Zuggtmoy can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language. She is immune to electricity and poison, and she has acid resistance 20, cold resistance 20, and fire resistance 20.

3. Allyx

Ok, done that - see the attachment below.

That said, I've only tested that the thing loads - and it does. Anyone with a save near (or preferably just before) the Zuggtmoy fight? Please test this (it goes in your Data/rules folder, BACKUP YOUR OLD PROTOS.TAB FIRST!!!) And let me know what you think?

Built from ted's 1.2.0 mod (I don't recomend trying to use this with a different mod)

I would do it myself but my current group is only level 3 atm!

Be warned, this fight will be a lot harder - Zuggy is now statistically (almost) identical to the post above - I could have added a few extra spells listed above that she didn't have before, but would need an edited strategy.tab to make her use them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here's one of my archived saves on CD disk.

The ToEE - Final Chapter, The Locked Level

I'll check it out tonight. This party is edited, and is like a level 20 party, has uberkoo stuff and alot of it. They'll probably need it all, too.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I used Allyx's new protos.tab in ToEE installed on Windows 2000 Pro with a FX 5500 OC video card. I can report the new protos.tab did not prevent ToEE from launching and it also did not cause ToEE to crash, either.

One thing I did see is the mass cure light wounds spell was broken. It is now an area effect spell to cure everyone within the effected area on both sides of the fight. If there were other bad news issues, I did not notice them because I was too busy.

Zuggtmoy presented as she would be on her own layer of the abyss [not weakened in any way] is too powerful for the game. Here is the party I had available and used.

L20 wizard - PC (survived)
    L20 barbarian - PC (survived having 277 hit points at the beginning)
    L19 druid - NPC/Meleny (survived and gained L20)

L20 barbarian - PC (died even though having 282 hit points at the beginning)
    L20 cleric - PC (died)
    L20 rogue - PC (died)
    L17 ranger - NPC/Otis (died)
    L20 fighter - NPC/Elmo (died)

This was a super party of edited characters. The party survived because it was an edited party, meaning they have their primary stat increased - like DEX 22 or INT 21 or STR 20.

It's not really a fair fight because the spellcasters should have had L7, L8, and L9 spells. The game does not have spells above L6 spells.

And, to add to that thought, +3 magic weapons should do damage, at least, when a critical hit is rolled, regardless of damage resistance. Elmo had two +3 battleaxes--one was a super magic battleaxe--swinging both a total of 5 times per round and did actual damage [5 points] one time before dieing. The only weapon that could hit her/it was a spell effect supercharged +3 Frostbrand. The game does not allow +5 artifact weapons to be crafted.

Yes, I think Zuggtmoy died at 534 points of damage. It was, basically, a slugfest between the barbarian with the super Frostbrand and Zuggtmoy.

The party killed a major summoned demon [a glabrezus] and also killed like 50 summoned fungi. No summoned large elemental or large animal could hit her. And, spiritual weapons could not do anything. The only two spells that worked against her was Harm cast by the cleric and Magic Missile cast by the Wizard, this turned the momentum in the party's favor and won the fight for the good guys.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ouch.

How is she now weakened if you destroy the skull?

Attacks at +42? SR 37? Crikey... I mean i guess when u attack a god you can expect to get whooped, but we should have some chance.

7. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

anyway to build +5 weapons in game so as to get past her damage resist rating??
    can you in game create a +5 weapon???

theroretically if your willing to spend that much XP?

or can some talented modder create a +5 weap??or 3

to be found or bought for outrageous sums??

i ask cause i dont know if the game engine will support +5

either that or we need 7th 8th and 9th lvl spells developed..

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

there are a couple of super weapons that've been created by modding, a few swords, a gun and some other things. I was thinking of making some Bathroom and Tile clean, to clean up all that pesky mould and fungi...

9. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

lol ... lysol....cone shaped gas cloud bypasses spell /mr res... 2Xdamage vrs molds,fungi and plant based life...
    not sub

. any of the above mentioned swords..etc.. in the teds 120 for toeefe mod pack?
    i thought i recalled something about a working holysword etc now

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There is certainly +5 gear that can be consoled in, but no it can't be crafted as Krunch said. Limits of the temple.dll, I suspect.

11. Allyx

Setting DR vs +5 (or + anything as a matter of fact) is also unfixable as far as I know (please correct me if i'm wrong).

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I haven't made it yet but I was thinking of making a large composite shortbow (I know it sounds funny) for my tough as nails halforc bard and giving it a to hit bonus +X to save a feat - Precise Shot (as you need Point Blank Shot to get Rapid Shot) and maybe giving it extra damage and cold.

Our Host!