Which Weapon do YOU use?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TiamatReborn, Jun 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. TiamatReborn

TiamatReborn Member

Greetings, Good Day, and Hello.

After looking over my other thread (Party Composition Advice), I realized that I was missing what is a kinda important part of this game. WEAPONS! At last count, Vanilla ToEE comes with a grand total of FIFTY weapons. Even sub-divided into ranged, melee, one and two handed, simple, martial and exotic, that is still an incredible assortment. And they are all mostly identical. For example: What in the world is the difference between a Glaive, a Halberdm and a Guisarme? All are two-handed martial polearms. Whats the difference? How is an exotic Dwarven Waraxe superior to a normal Martial Battleaxe? Whats the difference between a Longbow and a Shortbow? Between a Morningstar and a Heavy Mace? A Rapier and a Scimitar?

As such, I've decided to start this thread, where you can tell me (and everyone else) which weapons do you use for your charactrers, and why? I'll start off:

FALCHION: I personally think that a Falchion is one of the best two-handed weapons, and here's why: Three-Point Critical Range. The only other weapons with this quality are the tiny Kukris and the mid-sized Rapiers and Scimitars. Once my Half-Orc Barbarian gets Improved Crit and I enchant it with Keenness, I will be getting a critical hit with 1.5 strength bonus nearly every second hit. As if thats not enough, combining this with Plate Armor, a Great Helm, and a White Cloak creates for a very Arabic feel for your characters. This is definetly an underused weapon.

SPIKE CHAIN: I won't even start. A two-handed weapon that can use Weapon Finesse. Can hit both right next to you and ten feet away. Even though it's not in the manual for some reason, this baby has spawned more strategies then any other item I can think of. Too bad more games don't use it.

MORNINGSTAR: In and off itself, the Morningstar isn't very special. It looks bloody cool, with the big ball and the spikes and such, but it's dmg is mid range, it has a very small critical range with only a x2 bonus, and it has not range increment. It does both Piercing and Bludgeoning damage, but thats about the extent of it's uniqueness. Until you realize that it's the favored weapon of not one but two powerful evil deities. Both Nerull and Bane use the Morning Star as their weapon of choice, which means for evil war clerics, theres really only one true option. Plus you can get a shield with it, which helps keep your healer alive.

What are you're favorite weapons?

2. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

TiamatReborn, umm... be wary of trying to stack Improved Critical and Keen or Keen Edge spell as they don't stack in 3.5, tho they did in 3.0, and I see you mention in under your Falchion. I don't believe they stack in TOEE, and usually they don't.

The Polearms differences are damage type Guisarme: Slashing (blade), Ranseur: Piercing (pointed), Halberd: Piercing or Slashing (tho all should do weaker bludgeoning too due to butt end, Blade Edge for cutting and Point for piercing.)

Dwarven Waraxe does d10 damage, Martial Battleaxe d8. Bows again damage, size and range. All these things are in the manual p.97 - p. 100. Morningstar + Heavy Mace again damage type. Morningstar isn't purely one type. Rapier and Scimitar... oh c'mon, you can't be serious... a Rapier is a one-handed finesse weapon and the weapon is complete different in design and damage type, P=F/A.

3. TiamatReborn

TiamatReborn Member

Ouch... I'm going to keep quiet for a little bit now.

Keen and IC don't stack anymore??? Bummer. I'm so used to NWN that I didn't even realize. (Reads the IC feat description in the manual.) Note to self: Read all the feat descriptions, not just the ones you don't know...

As a friend of mine would say: "Owned". I need to read the manual more...

4. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

My Apologies TiamatReborn.
    I've been too harsh today. Other things getting to me, Sorry bro.

5. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Advice: NWN != DND.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I use the Great Cleaver. Its not just fun to acquire... :evil_laug

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Moradin's Soul Hammer, Excalibur, +5 Longsword, Longbow of Frost, & others

8. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

nothing says fun like a greataxe using half-orc barbarian, dwarven waraxe/towershield dwarven fighter(if you are using a dwarven character with martial weapons proficiency all is there a better weapon), or a rogue with a bow.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

One of these...

Attached Files:

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I personally prefer one of these:

Attached Files:

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry, did I say a cleaver? (Top) I meant a GREAT CLEAVER. (Bottom)

Attached Files:

12. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

Oh yeah this one for me.

Attached Files:

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

a form of bastardsword

Attached Files:

14. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Marital weapons? I had no idea dwarves went in for this kind of thing.
    " it's a massager +1 mom.":evil_laug

15. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

So when I purchase weapons, it's not a fee that I pay, but a dowry? :mrhappy:

Our Host!