Where in the world are you from?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by georgelappies, Aug 7, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. georgelappies

georgelappies Member

Hi all

It always fascinates me how an interest in for instance this mod will bring people together who may otherwise never have met. I also like to travel and 'see the world' as it may so geography is another one of my interest.

So let me begin by saying that I am from a town called Secunda in South Africa, our town’s claim to fame is that it houses the biggest coal to gas refinery plant in the world. It was only the second such plant to have been build (hence the name :)).

Our climate is moderate with Summers ranging from 20 degrees Celsius at night to 35 degrees Celsius during the day with thunderstorms every other afternoon while our winters ranges from -5 degrees Celsius at night to 25 degrees Celsius during the day but no rain in the winter.

It is basically the African savannah located 1700 meters above sea level. The town has a population of about 50 000 people including the surrounding areas which is mainly maize and cattle farming.

If it weren’t for the wondrous properties of coal and the alchemy involved in converting the coal to fuel this town never would have existed.

Well that’s where I am from, where do you dwell?

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Houston, Texas. It's forecast to be 100 deg F, around 38 deg C, and high humidity. Mosquitoes in the dark, poisonous spiders and snakes, alligators and small predators. PARADISE! :)

3. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

San Jose, California, USA.

AKA: Silicon Valley ("Silicon Valley" is really big chunks of the San Jose, and the surrounding tech cities: Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Cupertino, etc.) We're the home of many of the tech companies you've probably heard of: Apple, Oracle, Cisco, HP, Tivo, Palm, Yahoo, eBay, etc.)

Temperate climate (we don't really have seasons... mild summers.. mild, albeit rainy winters) and we're also the home of the infamous Winchester Mystery House, which I frequently take my daughters to visit.

4. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

london maioribus urbs obvius universitas
    No climate only weather

5. Legless

Legless Established Member

Northern Scotland but live in Germany

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Disneyworld, really .... OK, the town with Disneyworld. ;) Orlando Florida USA.

It feels like a moderate summer except for two or three weeks out of the year when it almost gets cold, well ... Cold for the Tropics.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Syd-a-ney, world's favourite city. It really is that good: Sydney Harbour on a summer's day is simply unsurpassed. Home of Atrax Robustus and my rainbow lorikeets.

But right now its winter and I have a cold :sadblinky

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

From Ohio, in the US, but living in North Carolina (east coast of the US for those not familiar) for last decade or two. I like snow, but I like snow when it LEAVES after a day or two.

Plus I love being 35 minutes from the beach and the occassional Hurricane Day off work is fun.

9. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I'm a Brit, but living in Geneva, home of all the large NGOs like the UN, and the large multinationals that want to avoid paying any taxes!

Climate is pretty typical northern European - i.e. unpredictable!

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

There is a saying here in North Carolina (and yes it is probably used in many places):

"If you don't like the weather here in North Carolina, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change"

:)

11. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

Wow all you actually giving out personal info to this guy from africa?

most of all the scams online come from africa.

I'm from the moon from a planet far from yours, joke.

12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Hey, I didn't think of that!

I'm not very bright and I have LOTS of money!

I will let you scam me into sending you my money, if you send me your bank account numbers. :)

13. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

OK give me your email, phone number and your personal address...

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Let's not overreact and be rude to georgelappies, please. Whether or not there's any truth to the Africa thing, it certainly doesn't mean "all Africans are identity thieves" or that we should assume a ToEE/D&D fan who's talking plainly and politely and not asking for bank account numbers is trying to scam anybody. Not to mention the fact that no one called 'XVicious' or 'BenWH' or 'Hugh Manetee' on an internet forum is going to get their identity stolen by telling someone where they live. Lighten up.

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Well, if you think you can get rich by knowing the city and state where a sudo named person says they live, then you sir ... Have won the Internet. :)

EDIT: My comment is certainly not aimed at georgelappies, whose thread I find to be genuinely interested in knowing more about the folks that share a common hobby.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
Our Host!