What's Needed: standard-action script "hot-swapping" for PCs

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by dulcaoin, Apr 4, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

My current goal is to figure out the python command needed to "set" a PC's standard action script index for any of the standard action entries. We can do this with protos.tab for a prototypical critter, but I want/need to be able to swap them "on the fly" (most likely, in pcstart.py; but if we figure this out, it could be very useful otherwise as well). I'm not even positive this can work, but it's an admirable goal, to be sure.

It's possible I'll have to set a matching index for some prototype in order to guarantee the script file is even added to the list in memory for use, but that doesn't bother me. I think that, if the indices are changeable "on the fly", that's the important thing to discover.

If anyone has ideas, or wants to try to tackle this in parallel with me (firestrand and liv, I think we know who I'm talking to, here), please do share your results. Agetian, I bet you'd be a good candidate too, but I think your pants are already on fire with the .mob work as-it-is.

-- dulcaoin

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

D -

Are you talking about changing a NPC's AI script preference?

PCs don't use these, so I wasn't sure if that is what you meant.

- Livonya

3. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

I also don't get what you are asking / want to do???

-Firestrand

4. dulcaoin

Nope, talking about items like san_dialog in the protos.tab table.

Every character (AFAIK), has a callback for all the different standard actions. The callback is made before standard work is done for that type of action. It's the event handler used for TOEE. Because PCs are user controlled, they're typically not going to have scripts, but I feel pretty confident that PCs have them, they're just not used.

But imagine, for a moment, if you could have a python script take over (momentarily) every time a character (including a PC) casts a spell (for instance). You could "fix" it so that cone of cold (for instance) did what YOU wanted, rather than the (supposedly, for this example) bugged version that TOEE performs. You'd have to ability to fix bugs that you can't get at right now.

-- dulcaoin

5. dulcaoin

I think I have this issue resolved, BTW. It will take some testing, but I've gotten good results.

In the meantime, what little attention I can give is being dedicated to the .mob file format so we can get a new WorldEd setup.

-- dulcaoin

Our Host!