What Does It Mean ...?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, May 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

... when the SRD says that something has '-' value for a stat? For example, - constitution, - intelligence, etc.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

There are two sections here that might help explain that. Look under "Ability Score Loss", where it says "Having a score of 0 in an ability is different from having no ability score whatsoever" and under "Nonabilities", where it says "Some creatures lack certain ability scores. These creatures do not have an ability score of 0—they lack the ability altogether."

3. Gaear

I think it my case it would be the latter. However, ToEE doesn't seem to handle that well. What would be the equivalent score of having no score? 10?

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I'm thinking 10, meaning no effect, or zero, no ability at all. But zero ability scores can throw in unneeded side effects, like "unconsciousness".

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

What does the game give zombies and skeletons for intelligence? That's what I'd use for any new "non stats".

6. Gaear

Usually undead get -1 for constitution (what I assume is the game's version of a non-stat) and 1 for intelligence. Some other creatures like jellies and whatnot get -1 for intelligence as well. I think I figured out what the issue was, thanks. :)

7. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

having no score and having a zero in a score is not the same thing. incorporeal creatures don't have a strength score and use dexterity for attacking, having no intelligence score means that the creature is mindless (like constructs and oozes), having no constitution score means the creature is not living (like constructs and undead) (there are some exceptions, however: zombies are mindless too, for instance).

also, if you need a modifier of a score which has a "-" as value, you don't use "-5" (as would be appropriate for a score of "0"), you use "+0".

8. Gaear

Thanks, Z.

9. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

you're welcome. :)

Our Host!