What do you think about my work?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by BigLittleBoy, Nov 1, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. BigLittleBoy

BigLittleBoy Member

I've uploaded two images. I'm limited to 100kb so pictures quality sucks. It's only minor fracture of my work. I'm in process of creating bigger, more impressive maps (armory map status is wip).

My question: What do you think about my scene? Does it look...you know...good, acceptable?
    I want to create new maps for ToEE and i want to know your opinion about quality of my work. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Still, i only know how to handle graphic issues (i know nothing about that strange "sectoring" thing, but i think it's a good time to learn).

Also, people proficient with 2d/3d graphic editing, especially Photoshop and 3ds max - post your tips and advice (if you have any), because i'm still a hopeless noob. I have many issues with my maps - i want to add some ambient light for sake of better visibility, i have problems with exporting/importing objects between scenes and many, many more...

Thank you for your attention.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Wow! I for one think that looks fantastic!

May I ask, was that Photoshoped from existing images, or done with 3dmax just using textures?

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Outstanding! Well done! :thumbsup:

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

That looks good, though it could use some Photoshopping. ;)

5. BigLittleBoy

BigLittleBoy Member

@Ted

It's nothing more than 3ds max scene with textures from external sources.
    Geometry is 100% my work.
    About textures - two or three taken from UT 2004, few others taken from different sites dedicated to sharing such resources and few others made from scratch, many textures were later modified by me.

@maggit

What do you mean by Photoshopping? I'm still working on this scene. I want to extrude few object from casting shadows, because scene has very distorted and chaotic lighting. Please be more specific.

6. maggit

I meant Photoshopping in general. Making the objects look more
    "drawn by hand" and less "3d-render-ish". It's been done
    with some of the KotB maps with great success. I didn't imply
    anything regarding to your modelling skills. If my comment
    sounded a little offensive, then I apologize.

EDIT: OK, I took a closer look at the picture. Those armours seems
    a bit plastic but I'm sure they're still WIP. Also, those shields
    are a little too "thick", but that can be easily redone with PS.
    They're supposed to be metallic, right? I also think I see Hextor's
    crest on them. ;) It's not too visible though. Adding some
    contrast in PS might help.

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Bah. Showoff :cool: :)

I like them. You got the atmosphere
    Looks like the training room of the Air temple! :clap:

I don't think it needs too much photoshopping though. Maybe what Maggit said, but nothing much more. Maybe a few stains of blood on the room with dummies...you know, those rookies could have accidents ;)

Just a few general tips:

-Don't worry about all details, remember that maps are 2D, so don't waste time doing all the walls.
    ---On the same line, don't waste your time with things that are too complicated; if you want to add a apile of skulls for example, just do a cone, then paste a picture of a pile of skulls. Much more simplier than doing them in a 3D program ;)
    -Be careful with proportions, for example, those armors look a bit big, but i could be wrong since we don't have charcters to compare.
    -First, you should do a small, simple map. Take one of the interiors of ToEE, and compare; ToEE as a singular perpective -as Gaear said-...is not exactly isometric, it's a bit cheated.

Now, if you want real, constructive help instead of my babbling go HERE, and follow the many tutorials of the best 2D mapper :)

Oh, and if you hear a "i have a small request" from Ted, run like hell! He's a slaver :goth:

8. BigLittleBoy

BigLittleBoy Member

Don't be affraid maggit, your comment wasn't offensive at all.
    Many objects looks so simple bacause while working with geometry i quickly realized that most detail will be lost anyway (like bump maps on walls). So now i'm more focused on overall atmosphere and lighting quality.
    And about blood splatters and stains - i already have atleast dozen different blood and gut textures (I'm working on torture room:transform). Textured surfaces looks very repetitive but i will try to give them more diverse apparence.

About tricky perspective - yes i know about that issue. My pictures utilize isometric perspective, i will have to look at original ToEE maps and Co8 tutorials (i hate readme files and tutarials).

Since i'm so good at showing off...

Attached Files:

9. maggit

I simply "luv" it. :D There's something strange
    about the smaller ledge (not quite sure what),
    but maybe that's just me. Hmm... That
    would be a great addition to any module. :)

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I like that one quite a bit BLB, good job. :thumbsup:

The only advice I can think of atm is to use caution as far as the height of the walls on your maps. The natural tendency with iso seems to be to make rooms look kind of squat, but (even tho I'm no builder) I think a typical room's ceiling height is actually significantly greater than an average person's height. Making the walls a bit higher may add to the 'depth' of your maps, so to speak.

11. BigLittleBoy

BigLittleBoy Member

@Gaear

Room looks so "flat" because it's pretty spacious interior. I had a general scale in mind while working on it. Walls height ~13ft/4m, and room floor is rectangle ~50meters/yards long and ~30meters/yards wide.
    Those oversized plate armours in middle room give false impression of rather cramped location. It's clear message to any potential opponent - "We have Terry Hogan and Lou Ferrigno on board, don't mess with us".
    I will resize those armours later.

Increasing wall height creates problem. Some walls simply obscure vision. I was thinking about creating adequate solution - translucent walls or walls representated by thin black lines (like most houses in Hommlet or new shopmap). finally i decided to use simplest approach - opaque walls. Tall walls will limit visibility greatly.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

BLB - maps come in a 'fogged' or 'unfogged' mode: the former means you see everything and don't have to worry about walls blocking visibility.

I agree that redoing the armours will change everything re perspective and size.

O and I can use that oubliette almost straight away :mrhappy: But what do you have in mind? What would you like to make?

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can also see characters behind walls (opacity reduced) when rooms are properly sectored for visibility, so that shouldn't be an issue for taller ceilings. If you're reluctant to heighten them, you might consider adding columns or struts or supports or that sort of thing to break up the appearance of continuity.

14. Salk

Salk Established Member

I like your style and I think there is good potential here. Keep it up!

15. darkfeld01

darkfeld01 Ancient Lurker

i love the oubliette (sp?) keep up the good work

Our Host!