What do you think about modding?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Jul 12, 2005.

Remove all ads!
?

What do you do with ToEE?

1. I am a hardcore modder, I write my own mod.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. I am developing editors for everyone's use.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I assist in developing tools or making mods.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I make minor modifications to the game.

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. I like only to play the game. I never modded it.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. I don't care about modding at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. What is modding?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hello everyone,

I see that not very many people seem to be interested in game modding here on Co8. There are serious problems that arise when someone needs beta-testers (for example, I keep asking and asking people on this board to test something in the ToEE World Builder thread, but to no avail). In fact, I only know a few people who write their own mods, assist in developing mods, or write editors for the community. I'm very much interested in your opinion about modding: what do you like to do with the game? Did you ever try modding? If so, are you writing your own mod?

Please post your comments here and vote in the poll. Thanks in advance.
    - Agetian

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Oops wrong button :imwithstu

I just tend to dabble in modding...

3. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Well, I chose "I assist in developing tools or making mods."
    Even it isn't quite right, but it's closest.
    I like to change things I don't like in the games I play, whether it means editing some game files (boring) or tinkering with gamecode (prefered, as it is a little brain exercise, a hoby of sorts, just like solving crosswords/puzzles is for others). And if I see that such modification could be useful to others, I make it available for the community.
    Sometimes I also do it by request - if it grabs my interest.
    Making huge mods is not for me, as I set the margin of quality high for everything, so if I see that I won't be able or won't have enough time to do it great, I don't do it at all.
    And I'm not a programmer, so developing tools for others I can't do. Even if I'd like to.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If editing protos and .dlg files is considered modding, then I guess I'm one. I've had some success modifying npc's to be recruitable and upped their stats. I've got Fruella, Meleny, Lodriss, and Mathilde all hooked up. I've downloaded the mod tools and I'm learning. I don't expect to be the next great modder anytime soon, if ever.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Neat (and maybe useful) poll, Agetian. You'd have to add another category for me though, "Exploiter." Not unlike Drifter, but with infinitely less techincal know-how. I'm able to manipulate the system on a small-scale basis to change things I don't like, i.e., portraits, sounds, etc. But looking at a page of code is like looking at something written in Chinese to me.

That's why I try to help out with "administrative" duties, you might say. ;)

(I should change my sig to read "Bastard Maestro." That about sums it up.)

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well I clicked 'hardcore' because I am making my own little thing with new areas, new characters, new quests etc. Not a great deal by any means, but I reckon it will be fun, and as WizGeorge said a while back, the game needs new content. I'm trying to address that, even if its only on a very small scale (probably the same size as Liv's quest / plot additions, though more linear so you can enjoy all the new stuff at once so to speak. Nothing compared to Liv's bug-fixes and redoing the combat system etc of course).

I feel a bit silly ranking myself 'higher' than Drifter though, since he has put out those brilliant .dll fixes, while I spent literally days trying to fix some problems in the .dll and came up with nothing.

O, Agetian - my downloads counter for the new voices has long since passed 1500, so even if only a handful of people are replying on here and chatting about whats going on - the same old faces, usually - we certainly are making an impact. I think thats the great thing about the Net, you just do stuff for free and put it up there, and total strangers get to enjoy it :) Thats the way the human race shoud work, dagnabit.

And speaking of 'strangers', I never thought I would see anything stranger than Allyx's pic. Gaear has come close though... :eyebrow:

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ditto Gaear's response, but I think his title ought to be "Facilitator".

:grin:

I didn't vote, 'cause nothing fits what I do. I sure as hell can't mod, but I like the work that's being done here, and plan to use some of it once Liv2 & co84 are all done. So, to be of service to the community, I try to give sound advice about the original module & relate information on the world from which it is derived to aid in enhancing the end product. And, from time to time, render aid to fledgling ToEE-ers.

I guess that makes me some form of "advisor".

PS - Ted, you can out-creep those two 'wusses' with some kinda pic, I know...
    :poke:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  8. Shiningted

Well we oughta go a 'post your pic' thread, yes I would definitely win the creepy stakes :p

9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Good point, Shiningted! One of several reasons that still make me stay here and work for the community is the understanding that a lot of people who simply come by and download our stuff enjoy the work that we have done, and also the understanding that somehow we make a difference in the small world of ToEE modding, and we make people who bought the game happier. :)
    - Agetian

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Meanwhile, the sentiments of Spike's pic leave nothing to the imagination. Ted, time to man-up and put your own bad self up there! :transform

11. Shiningted

<sigh> You asked for it! Gimme an hour or so ;)

Our Host!