Weird "Almost-a-Spell-Permanency" problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by grinner666, May 28, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. grinner666

grinner666 Member

So I have this really weird glitch in my game. I just did the last "Arena of Heroes" fight. Before that fight, I buffed my characters with, among other things, Protection from Evil and Protection from Chaos spells, and had three of my characters (Rogue, Wizard, Sorcerer) drink Protection from Undead potions. My wizard and sorcerer also cast Lesser Globe of Invulnerability spells (the sorcerer from a scroll), and the sorcerer used a Potion of Eagle's Splendor.

So: First thing that went wrong is that the game CTD'ed about four times when I tried to use the Book of Heroes to enter the arena after saving. Then when I DID get to the arena, the Globe of Invulnerability spells just disappeared. I went through the combats without a problem (the key seems to be killing the damned blue-robed undead wizard before he can cast Stinking Cloud), but now my wizard and sorcerer still have the visual effect of the Protection from Evil spells, and the sorcerer still has the visual effect of the Eagle's Splendor spell. This after traveling from Hommlet to Nulb and then resting 13 hours.

The spells are no longer currently active, just their visual effects, and going back to Jaroo for Spell Permanency removal does nothing.

So my question is: Has anybody else had this problem? Is this something I need to worry about, or is it just going to be an annoyance? Should I delete my saves as corrupt (Oh, Christ, no; I just got back up to 8th level)? Or could going back to my Hommlet save, letting the spells run out, and then going back to the arena solve the problem?

2. grinner666

grinner666 Member

UPDATE (and I should have thought of this before I posted): I went back to my Hommlet save, went back into the inn, and rested for roughly 9 days in 8-hour stretches (hey, disease. Leave me alone ;) ). Did not dispel the visual effects, nor did going to Jaroo before the arena.

So the only question that remains is, will this bung up my games going forward, or is it just an annoyance?

3. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Something similar happend to me. Just an annoyance but to me so annoying over the time I activated a save that was before the permanency problem.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I had a similar effect on my guys from a stinking cloud spell cast on them.

I think it's a flag that's not getting reset.

I reactivated the module and when I loaded it was gone, (backed up my saves first).

5. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

Happened to me too. In my case Spugnoir gained permanent LGoI. One time I also noticed little lights hovering around my characters head that wouldn't go away no matter what. Looked like an effect belonging to some enchantment spell that didn't expire properly. I recall casting calm emotions during previous battle. Leads me to believe this is common bug. Didn't try re-activating the module *slaps head* but reload worked fine.

6. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Thanks, guys. I'll try reactivating the module.

7. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

I just got through all four nodes without a problem . . . I thought. But it turned out that Spugnoir had the visual effects from a Protection from Energy spell lingering . . . and Jaroo did not fix it. So I thought . . . let me drop Spuggy off at the Wench, and maybe the game will strip him of the visual permanency just like it strips him of his memorized spells . . . and voila! It worked!

I dropped Spugnoir off at the Wench, exited, re-rentered . . . and Spugnoir was back to normal.

So, this only works with NPCs that will rejoin your party . . . but at least for them this seems a quick and clean fix.

Perhaps something can be designed for those NPCs that don't re-join -- maybe altering their script temporarily to allow a re-join. That is probably workable, I'm thinking, for some NPCs, but perhaps not all.

8. vendur

vendur Member

You can always just remove the character from the party and remake a new character and relevel it up with console commands.

Our Host!