weapon making help

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Eledezma, Feb 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

I need some help with making a chaotic longsword with spells and stuff using the proto editor.i cant get the spell to activate and the sword wont save the name in the proto editor

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

You do not add spells to swords.

Instead, you add magical properties to swords. Each magical property can have, but does not always require one or two sub-properties. Hint: Use other magic swords and weapons already in the protos.tab file as examples and study them.

Also, refer to this, Shiningted ToEE Modding Tutorials.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can we move this to the GM forum? Its not a model issue.

4. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

Weapon Help

I need help with a small problem i have...
    i want to change a fantasy long sword and make it have magic powers like being able to cast ligtning bolt and and be a chaotic weapon with spell resistance and have shocking burst. yes i am using the proto editor and i made a duplicate of the file with a new id.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  5. Shiningted

Re: Weapon Help

Sorry Elezdema, when I said I wanted this moved to the GM forum I meant I wanted the thread moved by one of our over-worked supermoderators, not that you had to ask all over again.

If you can use ProtoEd, just make a new prototype copying one of the fantasy longswords (with a new entry in description.mes) then add your weapon bonuses - chaotic, shocking etc - in columns 168 onward, depending on what you want: just look at the other magic weapons then copy-paste what you are after (rather than typing - that leads to typos :))

To get it to cast lightening bolt or whatever, have a look at how the gun (# 4400) is set up. That still functions as a clubbing weapon, but also shoots things. So your sword will need charges (col 59), it'll have to be set up as a usable item (in the bonuses, col 168ff again) and given ther lightening bolt spell in col 312.

Another thing to look at would be the wand of lightening bolt (#12275) since you are essentially making a sword that functions also as a wand (as the engine sees it).

6. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

Thankes, i just about to try it out. i will tell you how it went.

7. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

i ran into two problems, one- the spell wont show. two- if i change it into a usablemagicstaff like the god weapons, the game crashes

8. Shiningted

Crashes when loading or crashes when using?

Crashes when loading means a typo in the prototype entry.

9. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

Yes when used, but i used copy and paste from the items that did work and how bout the re-nameing bug?

10. Shiningted

The 'renaming' bug? If you mean when crafting items, just don't let the name get too long: '+1 +2 +3 Shocking Flaming Biting Keen Masterwork Longsword' is out, 'Mr Nasssty' is much better.

With your sword, I would say set it up exactly as Cujo's gun (#4400) - other than making a sword - and when you get to what spell it is meant to cast, instead of 'Cujo's Magic Missile' or whatever it is in col 312, copy-paste whatever is in the Wand of Lightening Bolt. Or better yet, set it up as a javelin of lightening.

Also, add things one at a time and then run it and see if it works. Don't try to make the world's greatest uber-weapon straight away since if something breaks you won't know which bit it is.

11. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

If i click on any of the proto name fields it resets if i save (dont worry its a backup)
    i also used the proto ed with mapslist.mes and almost every thing else. it is not me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  12. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

I fixed the problem; in row 23 i always change it to the the same as row 0, i still can change the name but when i left that alone the sword worked with spells and every thing.
    if anyone one can help me with the name problem that would be much helpful!

13. Shiningted

AHHHHHHHHHHH.... ok, I was completely thrown by that.

The names, as the title of the column in ProtoEd will attest, are drawn from Description.mes. So as well as make item #4750 (or whatever) in protos.tab, you make an entry # 4750 in Description.mes.

14. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

Ok i am writing this from high school but when i get home i will try that.

15. Eledezma

Eledezma Nerull's Reaper

You fixed my problem. thanks, anyway how do you close this thread? or if you can close it for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!