Weapon Glow Effects

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by TempestZen, Nov 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. TempestZen

TempestZen Spellsinger

Hello everyone,

New member of this forum, though joining you all in our love for this excellent game. I do apologise if this has been addressed previously (I did search :O)...

Is there any way to remove the weapon glow effects from magical items?

Hope someone out there can help :D

TempestZen

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I do think it is a bit annoying, myself. I mean, every single magical weapon and its mother glows, despite how pathetic the enchantment. I can understand a radiant longsword (which, by definition, glows)...but come on. A Short Sword +1 giving off a glowing blue aura? Where was that covered in the D&D handbook? I mean, it's a little counter-productive for my rogue to try and sneak by some monsters with that thing in hand.

Please tell me that there's a way to get rid of the glowing blue outline from the magical weapons that don't really need it... :bounce:

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Really, with a few notable exceptions, swords of any enchantment should shed light. That's default D&D. It all the axes, maces, spears, etc. that should not.

4. TempestZen

TempestZen Spellsinger

hmmm....no good news so far...(apart from someone else agreeing that weapon glows are sooooo '80s :p)

If I find anything out, I'll post it here...hopefully some nice person will pull one out of the hat for me!

5. mrbunnyban

mrbunnyban Member

One hat trick, coming up. :)

Copy and paste magic! (randomly rolled weapons)

So actually, only 30% of randomly rolled magical melee weapons glow. In fact, 55% of magical melee weapons and 85% of magical ranged weapons don't give any clue that they're magical in the first place. Hence the need for the spell "Detect magic".

6. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

Personally I prefer all magic items to glow. Some other AD&D games seemed to only allow glowing if the item was unidentified.

7. ShadowDragoon

*refering to mrbunnyban's post* Huh. Where was that at? The DMG? I should probably look through that a little...info on magical equipment...

*ahem* Anyway, my point is still valid. The vast majority of magical weapons shouldn't glow.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I do not know of any modders here at Co8 who dislike magically glowing weapons. *smirk* :p hahah

9. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Is this something that is in the weapon's protos? I still don't know exactly what a protos is mind you, but I've read that you can change parts of it.

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I seem recall there was a mod out there to remove weapon glows. Have no clue where I saw it, though.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I don't like the weapon glow - I mean as soon as I walked into the boatmans tavern I could tell skole had a magic spear, why should I know that.

I'll look into it.

12. ShadowDragoon

Wasn't that a really old mod someone was working on here? Like, just a few months after ToEE came out? I remember seeing something like that around the time I first came here... Maybe the person just gave up on it.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

When utilizing a Detect Magic spell, any magical item would be revealed as possessing magical aura. Hence the spell Nystul's Magic Aura to fool thieves & the gullible. Magical items just don't glow for no reason unless it is stated as being a property they possess in their description. I for one see no need to gum up this game with a shitload more glowing items than we already have. Cujo's right about Skole's spear. Except swords, with the aforementioned notable exceptions, weapons shouldn't just glow. Did that miscellaneous weapons quote come form the SRD? If so, then that applies as well, but way too many of them glow now.

14. mrbunnyban

mrbunnyban Member

I only have the SRD since I'm a cheapskate who doesn't a real group to play the PnP with. The quote is from MagicItemsII, a little below the "Table: Ranged Weapon Special Abilities."

Here's another quote:

Edit: You realise that if you really want to be cheaky, most magical ites will give no clue that they're magical in the first place? Players woud have to be casting detect magic for every set of loot. :p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

or else what? have a funny feeling there's something more to dagger they just looted - the one the game calls magic dagger.

Our Host!