Warning: do not install CO8 3.03 Beta!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Goongyae, Jun 12, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

After installing CO8 3.03 Beta all my save files would crash as soon as I did anything (click on worldmap, try to rest, try to look at inventory, etc..)

I tried installing CO8 3.02 on top of my game files and it did not fix the problem.

I had to delete the files dated 6/11, including TOEE.cfg (I'm not sure if this was necessary), spell_enum.mes, and various .py files in the rules directory. Then, the crashes stopped occuring.

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Hmm... exact same thing happened to me. Game loads fine but on clicking on something (character) in a saved game it CTDs. Maybe some file's gotten corrupted. I'll have a closer look at the modified files when I can.

EDIT: It appears Huntsman already knows of the problem. I'll wait for the repairs then.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  3. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Okay, gang, I found the problem.

The spell_enum.mes file was corrupted. Reinstalling patch 3.0.2 wouldn't fix it becuase it did not include spell_enum.mes. However, erasing this file and reinstalling 3.0.2 would fix it.

I've corrected the problem. It will go all the way into a game :).

Sorry about that, guys. I'd tested to make sure the initial menu would come up, but never opened up a game. I was in a rush yesterday...completely my fault.

Also, it seems that I may be ont he trail of what is causing file corruption in ProtoEd. It seems that it's either loading a new file when one is already loaded, or saving to a differing location. Now, I open a new Protoed for each file to edit (closing it in between), and I copy the file I want to edit to the location I want it at before editing. These two precaustions seem to have solved the file corruption errors.

Also, I have uploaded the corrected version, so it is available now. Same url. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tbrister@sbcglobal.net. Also, if you find a bug like this, you can email me (gee, can you guess what my address is?). However, if you put me on any telemarketing lists, I will hunt you down, strap you into a chair, and subject you to a 72 hour barney fest (lots of coffee and Vivrin provided, so you don't miss anything). Yes, I am evil :)

4. GothTart

GothTart Member

Not sure if i am being thicker than a short plank with a hamburger problem but i downloaded the co8 toe patch, in the html file it says run the co8200.exe file to install, trouble is the file isn't in there...

5. gygaxian

gygaxian Member

please include a text file that explains where to place these files

Our Host!