Verbobonc?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ShadowDeth, Jun 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

I'm having trouble finding Verbobonc, to put it simply. Anyone want to spoil the hunt?

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I'm assuming that you are using the beta Co8 5.

Semi-Spoiler.............

Try talking to some of the prisoners in the Temple.

3. ShadowDeth

Yep. I've played up until I was knee deep in the elemental planes with the current patch, but I admitedly glossed over the temple itself.

Just making sure I didn't pass the level I would have to be where it was still challenging.

To the temple!

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

to make Verbobonc challenging, you should be no higher than 6th level when you first go there, it is possible to start it at 5th level and complete it, but higher level groups find it easy.

5. ShadowDeth

okie doke. And if my 8 man party of poorly constructed gimmicks at around 4th level each tried? Too much power?

6. Allyx

depending on who you asked, you may not even get the option to go to Verbobonc. The female prisoners require an average group level of 5th level to give the Verbobonc option, the other prisoners do not require the group to be any particular level though.

7. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Isn't 5th level a bit too low? I mean, by the point that I got to the female prisoners without the Co8 mods, my party of 5 was already like 7th level or so. And with the mod they were even higher. I don't supposed you'd be willing to put something in either Homlet or (preferred) Nulb instead? That would be more reasonable for the party level that you are looking to accomodate.

8. Allyx

Needless to say, I've tested this extensively, 5th level is a sufficient enough level to successfully (although challenging) navigate your way through the underdark section (the main monster populated area) and finally defeating the white dragon at level 7. Kalshane reported that it was too easy going through Verbobonc at level 9, but then again, I'm not so surprised about that. There are other area's of interest, and as you progress through the game, more options will become available in Verbobonc, but there are a limited number of times you can go there, so use them wisely ;)

9. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

I'm not disputing that 5th level is sufficient. It's the location of the portal that I'm concerned about. As I said, by the time that I usually get to the portals, I'm well above your recommended levels and it makes the added a bit easy.

10. Allyx

Portals? I never used portals, the 2 female prisoners in the first floor of the temple, and the male human prisoners in the second level of the temple take you to Verbobonc by dialogue, there are a couple of other ways to get there too.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He's using a euphemism Al - he's saying he's well above lvl 5 by the time he gets to those parts of the temple.

12. Allyx

Umm, are we playing the same game? I don't know about you Ted, but I've never been higher than 6th level when I found the Temple, I have got there as early as 4th level, but skipped a lot of Hommlet quests. The only way I can think of to get 9th level characters BEFORE going to the 1st level of the Temple dungoen, involves the secret entrance to level 3 and working your way up instead of down :shrug:

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its a fair call, I would agree with all that, but different people play the game different ways :)

And don't forget, you now get XP for the stirges in the moathouse too ;)

Still, can we get feedback from others? Is the assumption people are only gonna b 5th lvl valid?

14. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

Well... I was 5th level by time I even got to Temple going thro Emiridy and The spider forest. When I entered Nulb I was too high to get the Cleric lady... but can't say I was anywhere near 9th to meet 1st prisoners, more like 6th, maybe 5th.

15. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

It's probably the way that I play. I'm trying to follow the story line but do things in the following order:

1. Complete all of the Homlet quests in-town that can be completed prior to leaving town for any reason (even Homlet related quests).

2. Complete the woodcutter's quest in the forest.

3. Go either to Emrity Meadows or the Moathouse depending upon my starting party. Complete those entire sections with the exception of the particularly nasty guy at the south end of the Meadows (save him until at least 5th level characters).

4. Complete remaining Moathouse or Emrity Meadows quest (whichever one was NOT done first).

5. Return to the cleared Moathouse as part of the new quests in that area. (only since 5.0.0)

6. Go to Nulb and complete all availalble in-town quests there.

7. Complete the "fishing" quest for the guy in Nulb.

8. Go to the tower at the Temple and deal with that group.

Here's where things differ a from game to game. If I am playing along with the tower group, I start doing the temple quests. If I wipe them out, I use the secret door inside to get to the level with the skull. In the case of the former, I don't deal with the prisoners until I've completed all of the temple quests and am ready to deal with the greater temple. In the latter case, I just start wiping out what I can and work my way through the temple.

I also try to do the DH quests in the temple as quickly as possible.

Either way, by the time that I get to the prisoners, I'm at least 7th level if not higher. If I play with less than 5 PC's in the group, then I am much higher level (9th or so) by the time that I get to them.

Our Host!