Traders "full" invetory / Crafting items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MagicMerlin, Mar 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. MagicMerlin

MagicMerlin Member

Is it a bug, that the traders just can buy a specifc amount ?
    I started to sell everything to the two spies in the tradingpost (leatherboots etc) to get some cash.
    Now after the moathouse, when i finaly have item worth more than 1GP, they say there is noe more room. (But there ARE free squares left)
    (well, now i killed them for not giving me some money *gg*)

Do they (or anybody else that buy´s my wares) just have a specific amount of space/cash? Or is there anything else i have to look for ?

---

Just another thought: WTF do i have to spend experience to craft something. I should GET it. (as it´s in real life). Is there some way around it, as i dont want to cripple my mage at low levels due to lack of experience?

Thx
    Mike

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If they have room in thier inventory, scroll down to it and manually place the items you want to sell in the blank spaces, or sell the items that you will never buy back again to the blacksmith (his inventory refreshes after a while, removing the stuff you previously sold to him).
    That is as per the 3.5 rules, you can use the console to reset your experience points total after you've finished crafting (but that's a bit of a cheat in my opinion)

3. MagicMerlin

MagicMerlin Member

Well, thats what i did. They had free spaces, and i tried dropping e.g. boots / armor etc onto it and always the message "no room ..." came up.

THATS good to know, cause i sell what i don´t need anyway (who need 301.968 pieces of scale armor *gg*)

Ok, i DO know the 3.5 rules. But that simply doesnt mean i have to like them. Seeing that rule in R.L. would mean, that some master would become an apprentice.
    Or, to be more accurate, an apprentice would never become a master (=leveling) if he is always making (=enchanting) things.
    This rule never should have used exp, but gold and other things u have to find/buy.
    To make it short: How do i "reset" the exp ?

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

To open the console, press...

Shift ~

then type...

game.party[X].stat_base_set(stat_experience,Y)

Make X = 0 for PC #1, 1 for #2, 2 for #3, etc.
    Make Y = the number you want their new xp to be.

and close the console the same way you opened it.

5. MagicMerlin

MagicMerlin Member

ok, thx !!

6. Osaka

Osaka Member

With respect to the traders inventory being full, I continually run into this problem. For example, when I sell my stuff at St. Cuthberts church I can sell all my stuff, come back and all the items I've just sold are gone. On the other hand, if I go to the blacksmith he'll still have stuff I sold him several days ago and might only have a few open spaces (I scroll down the inventory and it is nearly at capacity) in which I can sell him. Since the smith offers the best prices for certain items I like to sell them to him, where others offer only half. Is there anyway to clear the inventories of the sellers (save the items they're supposed to have)?

The tower in east Homlett is the worst, I've found that if I sell items just by placing them over existing ones it will start to hide items. I started to notice this when I needed to start buying scrolls that I knew I hadn't purchased, but they weren't in inventory anymore. As I started moving items around I was able to uncover previously hidden items by placing an item on a empty slot, then moving it to another slot and a previoulsy unseen item would appear.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I would have thought the Blacksmith respawns often enough for it not to be a problem.

More to the point, C-Blue did a fix for the various inventories so they repawn consistently. The Blacksmith may not have been included since he was never a problem, but I think it was pretty universal. If you are using the latest version co8 5.0.0 (ie 5.0.1) go to the Wench and rest for 25 hours, and he should be happily respawned (and empty) when u get back.

8. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Just how much room on the shelves do you suppose the trading post in a one-horse town will have? Why would the traders buy more boots from you than they can resell? I think that there is way too much money available in these places as it is.

That gives me another idea for a "revenge" encounter. We could have PCs that are selling too many boots draw the attention of the local cobblers guild. That would be pretty funny to me, having a bunch of PCs who think that they are hard getting a "correction" from the union men.

It also cracks me up to think of selling all those boots to the traders in the first place. First of all, you have to be stripping the boots off of anyone that you kill. I mean, you don't just take their coin purse, but also the shirt off their back, even though you just shot an arrow into them through that shirt. Gross!

And the boots? If you have you ever worked a double shift out in the heat and took your boots off at the end of the day, you'll have a pretty good idea of where I'm going with this.

How long do you think that bandits holed up in a ruined moathouse go without bathing? What do their feet smell like? How much sweat is soaked into the leather? Who would want to buy those boots at any price?

Of course this is a computer game, and things that make sense in PnP don't always apply.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  9. Avatar

I've always used to collect every item off of every dead enemy to sell as loot, scraping and saving every cp for later use enchanting. Recently I've realized that it doesn't make too much sense to play this way. It's OK, especially for people like me who don't like to leave the clutter after the corpses fade away, but later in the game you can find more gold from a random hill giant encounter than from many many bandits or gnolls.

Regarding the mage enchanting xp, just like Merlin I was never eager to craft items at low levels because the XP's are the measure of how quickly you level and how powerful the caster becomes. The last few times though I've realized just how much of a bonus xp a character can get for being just 1 level behind the other characters. I level like normal to 5th or 6th, then once the whole party is able to level to 7th I'll leave the enchanter at level 6 for a few encounters. Before long, he's got so many spare xps beyond the rest of the party that he can enchant all sorts of +3 weapons, then level back up to equal the rest of the party.

Regards,
    Av

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I used to take every little thing and sell it back to the shop. After awhile, I just started taking the stuff that was worth a decent amount of XP and leaving the rest.

In PNP games, as a DM, though, I would have shopkeepers turn up their noses if a bunch of scruffy adventurers wandered their shop and tried to off-load a bunch of used boots.

Though the boot-looting thing amuses from the perspective of a PNP campaign I played in. One of the characters was an old-school, 1st Edition Kensai by the name of Akane Shirodo (who the rest of party, being uncultured barbarians, called "Akane", not knowing the whole family name first thing in asian cultures.) Shipwrecked on the shores of a strange land, blah-blah-blah, ends up in a rough-and-tumble sea port town. First session a local ruffian starts a fight with him. Akane, of course, kills him rather handily. The local constabularly shows up, determines from witness accounts (namely the party) that the ruffian started it and it was legally-settled dispute. The constable promptly hands Akane the ruffian's purse and boots, per the local laws.

For the rest of that campaign, Akane's battle cry was "I take your boots!" He ended up with quite the collection by the end.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@kalshane: Now that's funny!..

12. JerryB

Now that's how role-playing is done! Thanks for the laugh Kalshane.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hommlet's got quite a bit of traffic heading through, J-B. Might be more of a market for footgear than you imagine, especially among the mercenary infantry guarding said caravans. If the boots are in good enough shape to refurbish for sale to begin with, that is. A little saddle soap, then re-sole, re-polish, re-sell... Who knows?

14. JerryB

Good point Spike. I still think it's a great idea for the PCs that sell too many boots to get a visit from the international brotherhood of leatherworkers, local 2859, who would explain that they maybe should consider going in to a different product line.

Is anybody that does the voices for the voices pack able to come up with a Brixton accent? That and badly "italianized" New Jersey would be great choices for the union men.

I'm actually joking about putting that into TOEE, but it's a funny thought.

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: Traders "full" inventory / Crafting items

Don't give Zorn any ideas...He's got Jersey down pat. I think those kind of "union" guys would rather have a share in the profits so that nothing bad would happen to you & your friends, or the store where the items get sold.

Accidents happen, you know!:dead:

Our Host!