ToEE Front-End 4.00 *BETA*

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Aug 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

This is a beta version of a future release of the ToEE Front-End. The following things have changed:

- The code is recompiled under .NET 2.0 and some .NET 2.0-related optimizations are made. This is the part that may make the code less stable for some time, although it looks fairly stable even right now. This means that v4.00 and all further releases WILL REQUIRE .NET FRAMEWORK v2.0, version 1.1 will no longer work for you. Sorry. If you don't want to update to .NET 2.0, you'll have to stay loyal to ToEEFE v3.80.

- Made some internal changes to make it easier to integrate the character export tool later on after KotB is released.

- FIXED A BUG that caused the Front-End to crash if someone tried to deactivate a non-active module. Big thanks to whatsername74 for reporting this bug in detail!! By the way, this has been around for a *long while*, and it's REALLY interesting for me why NO ONE has cared to report this bug before.

I'd love to hear some feedback. If you encounter some problems with the thing, do not darn hesitate to report your problems!!

Remember: this version is not a finished product, so you may encounter various problems.

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

No problems with it so far. Are those tooltips new btw? Very nice. If they aren't new, blame the eejit in front of the monitor ;)

I didn't realise that it was a bug when the error message popped up about trying to deactivate a non-existant module. I thought it was the program telling me to stop being an idiot. Certainly didn't have any impact if you pressed continue as far as I could tell. Sorry Agetian. :shy:

edit:

Guess I better report this one then:

Occasionally, and definitely when nothing else it open, I get the Critical Startup Error: Make sure that nothing else is accessing...

This has happened intermittently under 3.80 and even once under 4.00 so far, hence this post.

I have both 1.1 and 2.0 versions of Net installed according to add/remove programs and I believe both are patched to the latest patch available from MS.

There is not anything open. There is not another data folder in the install. Rebooting the computer seems to clear the problem. I've always assumed it was something dumb I'm doing but I've just done a totally clean install so it can't be that. If you need more info, let me know as I've no idea what would cause this.

The error message
    http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3954/errormessagete4.jpg

Contents of ToEE folder
    http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/51/contentsoftoeetc1.jpg

Contents of modules folder
    http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4425/contentsofmodulesrt5.jpg

Contents of Co8-5 folder
    http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3457/contentsofco85it1.jpg

3. Agetian

Hmm... I'm also wondering if you're running any background antivirus software or other software that may be actively searching/scanning your hard disk drive folders during the time you do other things. I remember Norton Antivirus prevented the ToEEFE from functioning correctly at times, as well as some other software I can't remember.

Of course, I'll keep looking into this problem, and those screenies you've made will definitely come in handy! Thanks!

Either way, I'll try to make v4.00 more stable as far as it executes. ;)

- Agetian

4. Zebedee

My current antivirus is AVGfree (patched up to latest version). I did have this problem whilst running under Norton too. Norton is now history :)

Only other software on right now (no reboot since those pictures) is Trillian chat software (MIRC and yahoo hooked up to it) and Firefox.

edit: and just to prove me wrong, frontend now works perfectly again. Does this meet your expectation of an anti-virus problem?

5. Agetian

Hmm... it sounds like a problem I've encountered once on a friend's PC that had Norton Antivirus running. Personally I never got this problem, but I actually always disable AVGfree when I play games, so I'm not sure if it can cause this side effect or not. I examined your screenshots and it looks like your folder structure is perfect, nothing is wrong in there. It's definitely some kind of a cross-access problem, sounds like some other process kicking in on the ToEE folder or one of its subfolders, could be an AV. If the problem persists, I'd appreciate it if you made the directory structure snapshot when the error is still on the screen. This may shed some light on the phase on which ToEEFE ceases to function, maybe then I'll be able to come up with some details of what's going on.

- Agetian

6. Zebedee

The directory pictures were taken in between two error messages. But I'll do as you say next time if it helps :)

The only other thing I can add is that after I click ok on the error message, the frontend screen appears and flashes briefly before disappearing. Which is probably of no use to you whatsoever :)

Thanks Agetian. This is why I think some things don't get reported - people think that it's them and not the program, especially if it seems to fix itself...

7. Agetian

This is totally normal, the Frontend may need to finish some of its critical exception-time operations even if it crashed, that's why you see it launch its main screen for just a sec and then quit.

- Agetian

8. Zebedee

9. Agetian

Hey Zeb,

The whole structure looks perfectly normal, I presume the ToEEFE fails to load in the first place when it tries to validate that the folder structure is OK to operate with. The only way I see it right now is that it's some folder scanning program that kicks in right at the time when you execute the ToEEFE and does some operations in either the main game folder or one of its subfolders.

I suspect that it may be the background antivirus software. Please check if you have the AV running in the background when you get these errors. If you do, it may be the fact that the AV starts scanning the ToEEFE executable or possibly other files and folders in the ToEE folder at the moment you execute ToEEFE. If it happens at the wrong time when ToEEFE validates the initial access, it fails to load.

If you get these errors without the AV running in the background, it could be some other program like that, although I don't know what it could be. As I said, personally I haven't gotten this error on my PC, so it's a little tough to spot it.

Thanks for providing feedback.
    - Agetian

10. Zebedee

Just to confirm AVGfree was running in the background. I'll try running without any AV programme in the future and see if the problem ceases entirely.

Thanks Agetian.

11. emptybook

emptybook Member

I'm running AVGfree and no problems here.
    All the buttons and tickboxes seem to be running as normal.

Can't find anything wrong here. :)
    There was a minor hiccup with the custom portraits, but I can't reproduce it since I reset it.

12. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Same problem here, can't launch the
    game from frontend. Antivirus and
    every additional software is off but
    the program still won't start. :/

13. Agetian

Just a quick heads-up here: I just want to say that ToEEFE 4.00 is not dead - far from it. Actually, I'm adding some more interesting stuff into it, like a character re-roller that would allow to roll and assign character stats per various PHB/DMG 3.5E rules, and also some extra stuff. Unfortunately, I have to be sloooww on this due to the great amount of work in the University, but it's coming along quite nicely, even if slow.
    Hope you guys don't mind the wait.

- Agetian

14. Agetian

This thread will be deleted within next 48 hours due to the fact that a new beta thread was open in General Discussion, where the latest updates to ToEEFE 4.00 beta will be discussed. For those interested in beta ToEEFE discussion, head over to the appropriate General Modification thread: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4602

As soon as the beta testing phase is over, the final version of ToEEFE 4.00 will be released here.

- Agetian

15. Agetian

Previously I wanted to delete this thread, but now I decided to just unstick it. It may prove valuable for me as a reference in the future (for some initial modifications). I hope no one objects.

- Agetian

Our Host!