ToEE For Widescreen Monitors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Achmed, Dec 21, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Achmed

Achmed Member

Just bought a Samsung 19" TFT Widescreen LCD that has a native resolution of 1440x900. Is there a mod like they have for Baldur's Gate and other Black Isle games for TOEE? My first thought was to simply go into the cfg file and put in my resolution and everything loaded up fine till I got the first game screen and it was shaking violently. I thought I read somewhere the game supports the resolution so I thought I'd ask for any advice anyone may have. Thanks.

2. bveld

bveld Member

Re: Widescreen Issue

By clicking on link below you'll find a detailed discription of how to play TOEE in widescreen.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5903

I have widescreen as well so I can confirm that above works however the font size becomes very small on higher resolutions.

Do you guys have any idea how to increse the font size in game?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Bumping for widescreen users.

Per the Widescreen Gaming Forum:

Supported widescreen resolutions for ToEE are:

1280 x 720, 1280 x 768, 1280 x 800, 1440 x 900, 1680 x 1050

Unsupported widescreen resolutions for ToEE are:

1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1200

To configure your game for widescreen display:

• Run ToEE normally at least once so it creates the file toee.cfg in the game's root directory.
    • Open toee.cfg with Notepad.
    • Set the line

Code:
      video_width=xxxx
      to your widescreen monitor's width resolution, where 'xxxx' equals this figure.

• Set the line

Code:
      video_height=xxx 
      to your widescreen monitor's height resolution, where 'xxxx' equals this figure.

• Save and close toee.cfg.
    • Launch ToEE and enjoy widescreen resolution. (Looks very, very nice, btw.)
    • Do not subsequently alter your screen resolution in-game.

Also note that the occasional problem of jerkiness in the display for some maps is related to a map limits issue wherein the map limits are less than the display size of the screen. There are not many maps where this is an issue, and we are fixing them as we come across them.

Also note that for the best image, you should use your monitor's native resolution. This will be stated somewhere in your monitor's documentation.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. canuter

canuter Member

I have just tried 1360x768 (my hdtv native resolution) and it works! :cool2:

5. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

Question, what if your monitor's native resolution is 1920x1200? I have a Vizio 26'' Full HD Monitor, am I pretty much boned?

6. Gaear

According to the Widescreen Gaming Forum, that resolution is not supported. I recall specific reports there of those monitors failing. I suppose you could attempt it in a lesser non-native resolution, but the native resolutions are where the detail really shines. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

Is there any way to mod it so that it will recognize 1920x1200?

8. Gaear

I don't suppose so.

9. Dirty Job

Dirty Job Member

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm having a problem with this Widescreen fix. Whenever I start the game after altering the .cfg file, it crashes at the first load screen.

10. Gaear

Check your resolution figures. I had that happen when I mistakenly changed the figures to 1400 x 900 on a 1440 x 900 display.

11. magao

magao Member

Because the text, images, etc do not scale, running at a lower than native resolution and forcing your video card to scale can often work better.

Most graphics card drivers have an option to "scale and maintain aspect ratio" (the maintaining aspect ratio part can be dodgy at times, but irrelevant in this case).

Set this option, and choose a lower-than native resolution with the same aspect ratio. For example, choose 1280x800 if you have a 1440x900 or 1680x1050 screen.

The scaling in the graphics drivers is very good these days, so chances are that you will be more than happy with the scaled version.

12. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Problem with that advice is that my GFX was crashing at anything other than native. Manually altering the default cfg created by the mod was the only thing that let me play.

13. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Any chance that there would be fix for 1920 resolution at one day? :)

14. Gaear

It seems extremely unlikely to me. I don't know that we have anyone here who could reverse engineer such a thing, and Troika is gone away so they won't do it, and no doubt Atari doesn't give a damn.

15. Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965 Member

Does anyone know of a way to make this work with windowed mode? I use that through the frontend that came with Co8's modpack, but it seems something in there is overriding my attempts to alter the resolution.

The first screen which has the Dungeons and Dragons logo seems too large to fit in the window, so it seems the resolution holds true there, (but not for the window size) but once I get past that screen to the main menu, it's all scaled back to that 800 x 600 resolution.

Our Host!